• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifter Dies In A Power Lifting Competition

I understand that the spotter wouldnt of been able to stop the weight entirely but at least take that heavy impact off and possibly save a life

Even if the spotter was switched on I doubt they would of saved that.

The lesson there is fuck the suicide grip off and also why I doubt I will ever bench heavy outside of a power rack.

Is that the footage? Horrible, thats why they call it @#$@#$ suicide grip. What do our experienced lifters think of this grip, I wonder.

The spotters were useless!
Didn't even follow the weight and weren't even ready to catch it!

Poor guy.

Had a guy in my gym try to tell me to bench with that grip... thought no way. Same with people telling me to collar it.

I already have that healthy fear when I bench press, and I ain't even lifting that much.

Even if the spotter was switched on I doubt they would of saved that.

The lesson there is fuck the suicide grip off and also why I doubt I will ever bench heavy outside of a power rack.

While I agree with the point about suicide grip, surely the spotters could have saved him if they were switched on, it's only 90kgs per side. If you have both hands under the bar, that could easily be caught.

While I agree with the point about suicide grip, surely the spotters could have saved him if they were switched on, it's only 90kgs per side. If you have both hands under the bar, that could easily be caught.

You see how fast he dropped that. Even with both spotters switched on, it would still be likely he would have copped the brunt of it.

It's why I am surprised PL comps haven't got some better safety measures in the bench with the huge weights some people are benching. You are literally putting your life in the hands of a couple spotters.

This highlights the fact that PL comps have zero safety measures when something like this happens.
ALL comps should be done in a rack, especially when you start lifting serious weight over your face.

You see how fast he dropped that. Even with both spotters switched on, it would still be likely he would have copped the brunt of it.

It's why I am surprised PL comps haven't got some better safety measures in the bench with the huge weights some people are benching. You are literally putting your life in the hands of a couple spotters.

The better cometition racks are meant to come with face savers to stop things like this happening - like the e.r. racks
IPF approved squat & bench press rack 10-001

no words. how tragic and so young.

agree, where was the spotter on the right? asleep?

safety bars at those freaking weights!!!

These spotters did a piss poor job.

At the bench comp we recently held, Gary Bone was on a 180+ attempt, dropped it, guess what, the spotters caught it and re-racked it.

Using a suicide grip is just plain arrogance as well. I tell everyone that comes in and uses suicide, to stop it, else dont bench at PTC, simple as that.

This highlights the fact that PL comps have zero safety measures when something like this happens.
ALL comps should be done in a rack, especially when you start lifting serious weight over your face.

Sad for the guy that died yes. But in terms of unsafe I have to disagree. In terms of safe sports lets look at how many people die in PL comps vs say golfers that get struck by lightning, surfers that get taken by sharks, cyclists who get hit by cars, rugby players who break their necks etc etc, comparetively I think you could consider PL to be safe.

Much safer then say bodybuilding where you dehydrate your kidneys to the brink of shutdown then neck a fist full of diuretics so you look super shredded on stage. I'd rather take my chances with 180kg held at arms length.

100% the spotters fault
They were standing around like fucking lemons
It 185kg ffs... I've personally stopped 180kg from one side when it was dropped, multi-ply lifters often dump 200-300kg on themselves after a missed lift and don't crush themselves... why? Spotters.

Incidentally I looked around for other instances of people dying from bench pressing and there was only one other recorded case and that was a guy who was benching 135lb while drunk and dropped it on his neck lmao. No idea what grip he was using