• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifter Dies In A Power Lifting Competition

You're taking my comments way out of context.
Minimise risk where you can and there certainly is plenty of room for improvement as far as PL comps are concerned, which are still pretty amateurish in their current form.

You have avoided my question.

Have you been to a meet?

You're taking my comments way out of context.
Minimise risk where you can and there certainly is plenty of room for improvement as far as PL comps are concerned, which are still pretty amateurish in their current form.

I'm not taking your comments out of context your making blanket statements and I am responding to them.

I used to dump my high bar squats all the time at the end of my set (onto the floor as the gym had bumpers). I've only ever missed a squat rep once in my life - it was a low bar squat and even having the safeties set correctly it was not something I'd describe as pleasant. You run the risk of the bar hitting the back of your head and knocking you out also. I would only ever let people I know spot me as well, I felt very secure with the guys from PTC spotting me. If I go to nationals I would probably get Zach, Sticky or Ricky to spot me as I know them to be quality people. Who else would you trust your life with?

Then how can you possibly say that maximum safety measures aren't taken? And that they are ammatureish?

Seems a bit silly to me mate.

Suicide grip. Don't do it.

On closer inspection, it didn't look like he was using a thumbless grip. So people were basically making shit up

feMeZ.jpg

Put it this way and have a good think about it

And I might be off base
and to those that believe it safe
Would you feel the same way if your child chose to pursue powerlifting?
And you had no control where this child chose to compete.

Knowing that some or maybe alot depending on your expectations are dodgy.

All i see is a blur.
I read on another forum that had a report of his injuries and it said he was using thumbless grip.

Anyway how do you drop a bar like that with a normal grip.

I've seen those benches with the face savers which are a good idea but why not have some adjustable safteys built into comp benches incase the spotters miss.

All i see is a blur.
I read on another forum that had a report of his injuries and it said he was using thumbless grip.

I've seen those benches with the face savers which are a good idea but why not have some adjustable safteys built into comp benches incase the spotters miss.

He flexes his wrist. There is no way that a thumb can stop 185kg from rolling out your hand if you do this. Also yeah it's pretty blurry which is why I changed the levels. You can see the colour that the bar is and the colour that his thumb is. The thumb is a solid black and is not broken or distorted by the bar, indicating that it was in front and not behind

Jesus, that was horrific to watch. Poor bastard. :( Condolences to his family and friends.

I guess there's some good reason why a setup with safeties isn't used for these situations. But as I've never even seen (IRL) any part of a comp, meet, whatever, let alone entered one, I hesitate to speculate.

Damn. And yeah, what the hell was that guy doing, standing off to one side - are spotters just observers now? Fuck, I'd wager even I, a fairly weak newbie (relatively), would do a better job spotting. I mean, I have done, so...

All i see is a blur.

There is a duty of care that is not addressed.

The drop force of 180kg at that distance is around 1800kg, that is catastrophic at best.

This is a very very sad and avoidable incident.

Even if the spotters are competent and experienced, accidents can and do still happen. This is why the IPF bench press rules specify that "attached safety stands must be used in all events". I don't know if a similar rule exists for other federations but it clearly should.

Put it this way and have a good think about it

And I might be off base
and to those that believe it safe
Would you feel the same way if your child chose to pursue powerlifting?
And you had no control where this child chose to compete.

Knowing that some or maybe alot depending on your expectations are dodgy.

Put it into perspective goose your child is far more likely to be killed or injured in the car on the way to the meet.

If I ever have kids, male or female, I would be overjoyed for them to compete

Put it into perspective goose your child is far more likely to be killed or injured in the car on the way to the meet.

I think i have perspective.

Is powerlifting safe?
Could it be safer?

Perspective changes when you are responsible for others and not just yourself.

I have benched regularly for 20 years using a thumbless grip and haven't dropped a bar yet. I doubt that many get killed by dropping bars. Most benching deaths would be simple failure and underestimating how difficult it is to get out from under a bar.

He flexes his wrist. There is no way that a thumb can stop 185kg from rolling out your hand if you do this.

Wrist less likely to go gay with a proper grip and the thumb will stop it. That's what thumbs are for. Ever try deadliftng heavy without the thumb?

Last time I competed I was told thumbless grip was not allowed on the bench.

The spotters aren't to blame. The people that set up lifting competitions without appropriate safety systems are to blame.

Why trust a person to catch a large weight when

• They are not in a strong position to catch and stop the weight
  • They have variable reaction times
  • They are easily distracted
  • etc (other reasons why humans are useless)
This kind of shit would never be suitable in a work place so why should it be suitable anywhere else?

As others have said, press in a cage or off a bench with safety rails