• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifter Dies In A Power Lifting Competition

100% the spotters fault
They were standing around like fucking lemons
It 185kg ffs... I've personally stopped 180kg from one side when it was dropped, multi-ply lifters often dump 200-300kg on themselves after a missed lift and don't crush themselves... why? Spotters.

Incidentally I looked around for other instances of people dying from bench pressing and there was only one other recorded case and that was a guy who was benching 135lb while drunk and dropped it on his neck lmao. No idea what grip he was using

not sure how thats funny?

Oni I remember hearing that there are about 10 cases a year of bench pressing related deaths in the US.

I could be wrong because 66% of stats are made up on the spot.

Sad for the guy that died yes. But in terms of unsafe I have to disagree. In terms of safe sports lets look at how many people die in PL comps vs say golfers that get struck by lightning, surfers that get taken by sharks, cyclists who get hit by cars, rugby players who break their necks etc etc, comparetively I think you could consider PL to be safe.

Much safer then say bodybuilding where you dehydrate your kidneys to the brink of shutdown then neck a fist full of diuretics so you look super shredded on stage. I'd rather take my chances with 180kg held at arms length.

You wouldn't do too well as an OHS rep fluffy.

Oni I remember hearing that there are about 10 cases a year of bench pressing related deaths in the US.

I could be wrong because 66% of stats are made up on the spot.

Well I saw this and started looking around and I couldn't see anything concrete about it

You wouldn't do too well as an OHS rep fluffy.

When not stirring shit on forums Fluffy is a ticketed safety officer has a diploma of OH&S & is a workcover QLD accredited rehab & return to work co-ordinator.

Fluffys alter ego wasn't a total **** and was unable to function in a role where his entire job was making sure people wealthier than him weren't sued when they made workers do shit pot tasks in such a way that they got hurt.

As a result of my stint as safety scum I could write an incident report to go with that video that discharged all present of any negligence except the poor bastard that was killed. Unfortunately that is pretty much the primary function of safety professionals.

Sad for the guy that died yes. But in terms of unsafe I have to disagree. In terms of safe sports lets look at how many people die in PL comps vs say golfers that get struck by lightning, surfers that get taken by sharks, cyclists who get hit by cars, rugby players who break their necks etc etc, comparetively I think you could consider PL to be safe.

Much safer then say bodybuilding where you dehydrate your kidneys to the brink of shutdown then neck a fist full of diuretics so you look super shredded on stage. I'd rather take my chances with 180kg held at arms length.
It's pointless to compare this with anything else, it doesn't make current PL comps any safer.
What it does show is that the two spotters here were absolutely useless and trying to blame the lifter instead by claimiing he was using a thumbless grip which the video clearly shows that he wasn't.

It's pointless to compare this with anything else, it doesn't make current PL comps any safer.
What it does show is that the two spotters here were absolutely useless and trying to blame the lifter instead by claimiing he was using a thumbless grip which the video clearly shows that he wasn't.

Sports aren't safe period, but what you are saying is because one lifter dies in a PL comp that makes PL unsafe?

As a board member, gym owner, and a state delegate, that is not the spotters fault.

Darkoz, have you ever been to a PL meet? If not, how can you possibly say they are dangerous?

The fault lies on the meet director.

The spotters had no fucking idea how to spot.
The meet director had the wrong people for the wrong job. Simple.

And why the fuck do you need a rack?

Our mono-lift has tow straps to protect the lifters when squatting, and as Adam had pointed out, benches can be bought with face savers.

I would be very interested to know the specifics of how he died. Looking at the vid he was coherent and composed after the trauma. Wonder how long before he was taken to a hospital.

Sports aren't safe period, but what you are saying is because one lifter dies in a PL comp that makes PL unsafe?
What I said was is that this video highlights the fact that PL comps can be unsafe because just having spotters in circumstances such as this is clearly not enough.

Yes, a lot of things aren't safe but that doesn't mean that we don't try and minimise the risk where we can.

Our mono-lift has tow straps to protect the lifters when squatting, and as Adam had pointed out, benches can be bought with face savers.

I'd feel a lot better if "face savers" or some barrier other than a pair of hands where mandatory.

And I've never really understood the need for spotters during squatting.

I'd feel a lot better if "face savers" or some barrier other than a pair of hands where mandatory.

And I've never really understood the need for spotters during squatting.

Spotters are a MUST for squatting.

Sticky, if you don't mind and if you could be bothered, do you have an example (video) of an exampl where 5 spotters have been useful?

I'm not having a go I'm genuinely interested, would it be safer for all if the squatter just dumped the bar?

What I said was is that this video highlights the fact that PL comps can be unsafe because just having spotters in circumstances such as this is clearly not enough.

Yes, a lot of things aren't safe but that doesn't mean that we don't try and minimise the risk where we can.

You can't make everything safe DK, plenty of people fall down stair or get electrocuted by their toasters but we don't try and ban stairs or stop using toasters. Risk is relative.

Sticky, if you don't mind and if you could be bothered, do you have an example (video) of an exampl where 5 spotters have been useful?

I'm not having a go I'm genuinely interested, would it be safer for all if the squatter just dumped the bar?

I'd suggest the spotters are useful for when the squatters fails in a way that they can't dump the bar because of injury or something else sudden.

If the squatter fails because they miss the lift part way up, they probably could dump it.

Too hard on iPhone man, remind me next week.

In PL, you have to use thin steel plates. Dumping bars onto the floor would fuck the platform. Dumping into safeties will fuck the bar.

Bars get dumped occasionally, but we try and avoid where possible.

You can't make everything safe DK, plenty of people fall down stair or get electrocuted by their toasters but we don't try and ban stairs or stop using toasters. Risk is relative.
You're taking my comments way out of context.
Minimise risk where you can and there certainly is plenty of room for improvement as far as PL comps are concerned, which are still pretty amateurish in their current form.