• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Racks

Reloading

Hey all, bit of a noob here.

Now in my early 30's I've decided to start training again, used to frequent the gyms years ago and did some training for footy. Now I live on and manage a farm so there's nothing available within an hours drive.

I've decided to invest in a power rack, commercial flat bench, and a basic oly set. Might get into bumpers later, not sure, if I do I can just leave this bar in the cage for presses.

At the moment I'm tossing up between the Force F-PC from gymandfitness and the MMPR from gymdirect. Don't really have the funds for a commercial rack, and space for a commercial would be an issue till I build a shed.

I'm kind of favoring the Force as it has the band pegs, dip bars and closer hole spacing. Though it is $100 more than the MMPR. I also like the look of the JPegs on it.

Not having the ability to actually see one in person is making it hard.

My main question, is the MMPR made locally in Aus? And is it solid enough for a 120kg 6'4 guy using the pull up bars?

The band pegs on the Force look ok, but would probably just end up as hat / raincoat storage, the dip bars look a little wonky from the video I've seen as compared to the MMPR's ones, the JPegs while looking nicer would have the same functionality. Is the hole spacing that big an issue?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Good on you for getting back into it at 30+ :)

I know which one you mean by the MMPR, was thinking of getting this one myself.

For the Gymandfitness one, I looked through their website and wasn't sure what one you meant. Did you mean this one Commercial Power Rack ?

My main question, is the MMPR made locally in Aus? And is it solid enough for a 120kg 6'4 guy using the pull up bars?

I believe it's made in China. It's definitely solid enough to handle u doing pullups on it. The multi-grip pullup bar on that thing is soooooperb.

Hi Reloading,

Where abouts are you mate?

We've got an F-PC on display in Melbourne if you're closer to here and wanted a play. If not, happy to answer any questions on it.

(I think the dip handles on them are fine, but I'm 85kg. Hopefully someone a bit heavier can give you some other feedback on them).

Graeme.

Hi Reloading,

Where abouts are you mate?

We've got an F-PC on display in Melbourne if you're closer to here and wanted a play. If not, happy to answer any questions on it.

(I think the dip handles on them are fine, but I'm 85kg. Hopefully someone a bit heavier can give you some other feedback on them).

Graeme.

Im out near Grenfell. Central west NSW. Bout a 7 hour round trip to sydney. Thanks for the offer though.

Thinking about a drive to Sydney to checkout the MMPR and HPRSP racks at gymdirect. The commercial one looks to be a lot sturdier. Spose it's easy to justify the price for something I'm going to be using every week for the next 10 years at least.

Might send them a mail to see what kind of package they could put together or if I can get the discount I see advertised here.

Hey mate, I've just purchased the mmpr rack from gym direct. Package deal with bench, oly bar, bumpers and dip attachment. Your height and weight you'll have no problems. Rack is made in china. I'm in wagga, if you're over this way you're more than welcome to have a look anytime and have a play on it.

Hey all, bit of a noob here.

I'm kind of favoring the Force as it has the band pegs, dip bars and closer hole spacing. Though it is $100 more than the MMPR. I also like the look of the JPegs on it.

Not having the ability to actually see one in person is making it hard.

The band pegs on the Force look ok, but would probably just end up as hat / raincoat storage, the dip bars look a little wonky from the video I've seen as compared to the MMPR's ones, the JPegs while looking nicer would have the same functionality. Is the hole spacing that big an issue?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi mate, I have the Force rack and went throught the same thought process as you and I went with the force ONLY for the band pegs. If you dont do any band work then get the MMPR. The other reason I suggest the MMPR is the Force rack is ridiculously wide, you're lucky to get 10mm between the J hooks and the bar collars. I ended up getting a custom bar made up with an extra 100mm between the collars.

The MMPR also has a closer nuetral grip hand position and the Force only a wide which is another thing to consider. I just welded some 25mm pipe in the middle though.

The other reason I suggest the MMPR is the Force rack is ridiculously wide, you're lucky to get 10mm between the J hooks and the bar collars. I ended up getting a custom bar made up with an extra 100mm between the collars.

You didn't think it would be easier to get off-set J-hooks made up instead of a custom bar?

Well driving over to gymdirect tomorrow. Apparently they've got everything I'm looking at in stock and I'll let yas know what kind of package I can sort out.

Well got the rack home yesterday, assembled this morning.

Went to GymDirect to have a look at the Muscle Motion MMPR and their commercial HPRSP racks. The MMPR is a real quality unit, a lot sturdier than it appears to be in photos, though since I'd already come up with some flimsy justifications to myself for the commercial unit I couldn't not get it.

Adrian was helpful, gave me the AusBB discount, gave me a good price on a commercial bench that was already assembled, knocked some more off 2 extra mats, then did a weights and bar deal. Went in had a look, did the paperwork loaded the gear up and was gone an hour later. Props to GymDirect, going to be my shop of choice.

Was one hell of a mission to sydney and back in one day. Left 7:15am, got home 9pm. God I hate sydney, hopefully another couple of years before I have to go back. Don't understand why people would want to live like that, tiny apartments and townhouses. Sure everythings there and not so far away and is convenient to get to, then everyone buys a car so the traffics always backed up... /rant

This racks a beast. Rock solid. Assembling it was a workout in itself. Gonna get a mate out next time when I move it out to a shed. Looks great in black.

Very happy with my decision to go with GymDirect and Muscle Motion.

Your vicious assault on Sydney has been noted and stored in my memory bank.

I shall now make it my life's mission to hunt you down like a dog and make a ravishing stir fry with your innards and a dash of oyster sauce.

Oh and congrats on your purchase. :)

Your vicious assault on Sydney has been noted and stored in my memory bank.

I shall now make it my life's mission to hunt you down like a dog and make a ravishing stir fry with your innards and a dash of oyster sauce.

Oh and congrats on your purchase. :)

I'm sorry, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard....what's stir fry without a bit of soy sauce :/

Last edited:
You didn't think it would be easier to get off-set J-hooks made up instead of a custom bar?

Yeah I did, but the actual rack itself is 1290mm wide so even with the offset hooks the plates bumping into the rack would annoy me. I went through 2 Olympic bars before deciding on the custom. It was only an extra $50 for the custom bar than the normal bar and materials needed for the hooks. Im happy with my bar too.