• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Racks

rather than start a new thread on power racks, figure i'd ask in here..

appreciate thoughts on the following two racks.. being in perth i'm finding the range limited and postage / freight a killer from some of the online sites..

Force USA home rack
$529
pro - can pickup locally this weekend (bit of a drive from where i am but bearable), slightly cheaper
con - not as strong weight loads, may need to replace in future (given im a beginner this could be a while away though)

this shop also has the force heavy duty for $699 which looks as though it might be worth the extra coins?

LC2 light commercial
$495 + ~$110 postage
pro - looks a lot strong, should last longer? can't see myself having to replace
con - cannot see in person, have to wait for it to arrive, cross my fingers that the wife is home when it gets delivered

Guessing you are in Perth.
Force USA is rated for 150kgs and while it may seem a while off, unless you are going to powerlift, 150kg for reps is probably even further away.
I have the force USA one and it's solid and sturdy for a home piece.
Food for thought.
:p

Pom:

The 1st one you listed is far too flimsy. 150kg really is very low. You may be a beginner but you'll be using that weight within months.

The cybermarket one has that really annoying crossbar at the front near the bottom. Thatd get in the way if trying to put a bench inside it or probably when trying to unrack for squats.

The force hd one you listed is great, we have one that we use at PTC. Its a bit wider than other racks though which means plates can come against the j hooks sometimes.

LC2 light commercial
$495 + ~$110 postage
pro - looks a lot strong, should last longer? can't see myself having to replace
con - cannot see in person, have to wait for it to arrive, cross my fingers that the wife is home when it gets delivered

That is a decent rack you won't find better for the price.

Depite wingman never lifting in one he has convinced himself the cross bar gets in the way. It does not when benching a bench with the legs hard against the cross bar puts you in the perfect position to bench. It does not get in the way for squatting because I just unrack from the front posts.

I don't know if the force model there is the same as the commercial but the bar on the commercial just barely fits in the J hooks it is very very annoying when trying to rack a heavy squat, you end up walking into the post then having to turn your head to check and make sure you aren't racking the sleeve instead of the bar.

For the price you won't beat cyberfit. Want to spend a couple hundred bucks more go Muscle Motion. I got a whole setup 217.5kg of oly weight, bar, bench, dip attachment freighted to the Gold Coast from Sydney for under $1200. Thats cheap any way you look at it.

That is a decent rack you won't find better for the price.

Depite wingman never lifting in one he has convinced himself the cross bar gets in the way. It does not when benching a bench with the legs hard against the cross bar puts you in the perfect position to bench. It does not get in the way for squatting because I just unrack from the front posts.

I don't know if the force model there is the same as the commercial but the bar on the commercial just barely fits in the J hooks it is very very annoying when trying to rack a heavy squat, you end up walking into the post then having to turn your head to check and make sure you aren't racking the sleeve instead of the bar.

For the price you won't beat cyberfit. Want to spend a couple hundred bucks more go Muscle Motion. I got a whole setup 217.5kg of oly weight, bar, bench, dip attachment freighted to the Gold Coast from Sydney for under $1200. Thats cheap any way you look at it.

Rack looks good for the price but i cant see how that crossbar wouldn't get in the way while squatting.

You squat outside your squat rack, fluffy?

Nah, I just unrack from the front facing forward. I still walk the squat out just the hooks are on the front post facing into the rack if you know what I mean. If I have my brother around and he is spotting heany squats I unrack from the same position and step forward into the rack instead of walking out backwards, but 99% of the time I just dump failed squats so it makes no difference whether I face the front or back posts if that makes sense.

For some reason it feels unatural to not walkout backwards LOL
For the price that rack is sturdier and has much fatter safeties than the force rack. It's not a bomb commercial rack nor is it priced as such.

One other thing I like is you get 4 hooks with the rack, the extra two hooks come in very handy.

Walking out backwards is safer because at the end of the set when your stuffed it's easier to rack it forwards when you can see what you are doing.

Learnt that the hard way with squat stands.

thanks for the suggestions.. ended up going with the force USA

picked it up saturday, set up sunday, first used last night

cannot really fault it, haven't found the plates hit the j-hooks yet but maybe i'm not using lifting heavy enough

Hi guys, long time lurker reporting in. I went with the MMPR based on your comments, will post up pictures and comments when it arrives!

For any Sydney-siders I've had nothing but good experiences getting stuff from a little store in Seven Hills called Cyberfit. I'm assuming they just rebrand everything with their own name but the gear is good.

I bought my cage from there ages ago and I just helped a mate put up his own. Quality is still good and they seem pretty reasonably priced.

For any Sydney-siders I've had nothing but good experiences getting stuff from a little store in Seven Hills called Cyberfit. I'm assuming they just rebrand everything with their own name but the gear is good.

I bought my cage from there ages ago and I just helped a mate put up his own. Quality is still good and they seem pretty reasonably priced.

I've been looking at these on ebay. For the money, they look like the best quality. Their chin up bar is also the best. Most just have a straight bar on these lower range racks.

Yeah mate I was pleased as hell when I pulled it all out of the box: every single piece of their cages is heavy and thick, including the pull up bar.

The only problem I've had is the pins "support" bending very slightly. It's hard to explain but the pins have a right angled piece of steel that slots over the rack arm, this has bent a bit allowing a little free play of the pin...nothing mission crit at all but I thought it was worth a mention.

Hi.. so Ive just ordered the MMPR and im failing at putting it together...

The bolts dont go on tight for the top 2 ones in the attached picture - there is about 25mm of wiggle room. This is using the shorter of the two types of bolts.
ajhk5u4f.i4h.png

Surely this cant be right, although ive tripled checked everything :-/

The bolt on the very bottom goes on perfectly, as the thing is thicker down there.

Can anyone help?

Yo dude...

There nylocks nuts... Tighten those bitches up...

Just not to tight or you'll indent the rack...

besuna4e.jpg

Get the spanner set out!!
Leave em finger tight and tighten the whole lot up at the end when you have finished.