• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Science Explains How to Hack Your Diet and Lose Weight

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
If you're looking to shed a few pounds the healthy way, this video from ASAP Science is full of scientifically proven suggestions that don't require crazy diets or special meals: just common sense and moderation. We've mentioned that nutrition is an individual science and you should make sensible changes that make sense for you, but the suggestions here look solid for most people. They cover eating from smaller plates to the benefits of adding protein to your diet to squelch appetite (protein is rich in Peptide YY, or PYY, which is an appetite suppressant. Adding even a little more protein to your meal can make you feel fuller faster.)
Of course, the video's tips aren't foolproof, but they're a good start if you're looking for ways to help manage your portions and eat sensibly without falling for a fad diet. Check the video description at the link below to read some of the studies the tips are based on. The soup trick—that soups and stews are absorbed slowly and keep you feeling full longer—is a great trick that I didn't know. One important note though—any weight management regimen starts the way the video does: with exercise.
Science Explains How to Hack Your Diet and Lose Weight

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA00ZctGz50]Scientific Weight Loss Tips - YouTube[/ame]

Having breakfast or not may not make much difference as far as fat loss is concerned but I know that from a health viewpoint I certainly feel better throughout the day when I've had breakfast.

Last edited:
Having breakfast or not may not make much difference as far as fat loss is concerned but I know that from a health viewpoint you certainly feel better throughout the day when you've had breakfast.

I don't. I've always felt better when i have a breakfast 4-5 hours after waking.

Whatever or whenever you have in your first meal of the day dictates how well your going to function daily.

I break my fast at around 9:00 daily followed by my 9:30 daily dropping the kids of at the pool.

Whatever or whenever you have in your first meal of the day dictates how well your going to function daily.

I break my fast at around 9:00 daily followed by my 9:30 daily dropping the kids of at the pool.

I always seem to have to drop the kids off at 7.45 :D

Tried fasting till lunchtime recently but found I wasn't able to concentrate as well as I would after eating breakfast. I hate having to eat breakfast but I know I'll function better if I do.

Funny how eating at certain times affect people. I find as long as I have my 6-7 Wheat-Bix for breakfast, I'm good right through into the arvo (worst case scenario) However, if I skip my Wheaties in the AM, by late morning, I'm Not happy Jan!!!

I prefer to eat breakfast within 1hr of waking and it's usually the biggest meal of the day for me. On the other, my brother can only eat small meals in the AM and he tends to have bigger meals of an evening.

Unless you're dieting for a competition or such, I think many people over analyze the dieting thing. If it's something you plan to make part of your life, it really needs to be easily incorporated into your life. For many, radical changes to your diet from what your use to is fraught with failure. It really does come down to a healthy balance of food choices and regular exercise.

Tried fasting till lunchtime recently but found I wasn't able to concentrate as well as I would after eating breakfast. I hate having to eat breakfast but I know I'll function better if I do.

I just tried 16/8 IF, now 18/6 fast.

I was against it for so long but I think theres nothing wrong with a 2pm breakfast.

I just tried 16/8 IF, now 18/6 fast.

I was against it for so long but I think theres nothing wrong with a 2pm breakfast.

same here. i vary between the traditional western 3 square meals in a 12hr window, to 12 + 12 fasts (ie, breakfast @6am, no lunch, dinner@6pm) to 24hr fasts.

most commonly though, i skip lunch because i love freshly cooked meals and that's pretty hard to get at work. that said, skipping breakfast makes the most sense to me - delaying the point in time that you break your fast is much easier than skipping a meal.

i don't IF with any purposeful pattern or routine, i just do it as i feel like it. I really enjoy the way fasting makes me feel and it makes me so much more aware of how eating affects my body. for me the sense of "fullness" is such an arbitrary, artificial signal that should be ignored at all costs - it's not worth pursuing and i shouldn't be disappointed if i don't get it from a big meal. learning when to stop eating was massive for me. also, hunger is such a relative thing - the hunger you feel 3hrs after breakfast is not the same hunger that you feel 20-something hours into a fast and yet they feel so similar...

skipping lunch is great for keeping my cals in deficit too - means when i sit down to eat i can do it with intent and really enjoy it. 1500 calorie dinners while on a diet are freaking awesome.

i was shocked at actaully how much 1500 or even 100 worth of good food is.

one night i ended up eating clost to half a kilo of chicken thighs, 200G of sweet mash- Salad with olive oil for some extra fats

That was a struggle and came to around 780 cals.

then again- I could put 2000 + cals of mickey d's away in no time and still be hungry within the hour

one night i ended up eating clost to half a kilo of chicken thighs, 200G of sweet mash- Salad with olive oil for some extra fats

then again- I could put 2000 + cals of mickey d's away in no time and still be hungry within the hour

Haha this is exactly why I cant get all my eating done in 2 or 3 meals, as much as I would like to. Stomach just cant handle that much in one sitting. So I get all brotard and spread my cals out over about 5/6 meals.

It depends what good foods you are talking about.

Eat some nuts, fatty meats, avocado ect, are all good foods that add up the calories really quick. Add olive oil to a salad. Even grapes, I can easily eat, 500+ calories of grapes alone in one go.

Sure it's hard to eat a few thousand calories of chicken breast and salad but the are many more good foods than that.

half bbq chicken (650cal)
100g mixed nuts (650cal)
500g steamed veg w/20g butter (200cal)

BAM = 1500 calories

nuts are cheating though - super high calorie density, just like the skin on the bbq chicken but i get what you're saying. eating that many cals without eating like 100g+ of fat (as i did in my example) is much trickier...

It depends what good foods you are talking about.

Eat some nuts, fatty meats, avocado ect, are all good foods that add up the calories really quick. Add olive oil to a salad. Even grapes, I can easily eat, 500+ calories of grapes alone in one go.

Sure it's hard to eat a few thousand calories of chicken breast and salad but the are many more good foods than that.

Agreed- but then again- Another big factor with me, I dont have a set ammount of WPC shakes each day- i will aim for 2 scoops. But always prefer to eat my food rather then drink it :) so usally end up eating way more food on the day si skip it.

Making an effort to get 2 scoops in per day now

Carbs are another macro that i usually have stuff all left come dinner time, Unless i make an effort to hold off then have my sweet mash at dinner

hence wise its just meat and veg/salad- Nuts are also a good idea- When cabs/fats permit

Do you all weigh and log your vegies? i like to just leave a buffer of abour 150 cals each day for my vegie intake- Or should i get strict on this too? as quite a few have carbs- Not talkign starchy vegies- More like cabbage, bok choy, zhucini, eggplant ect ect

i have for a long time, but now i know the ones worth counting (e.g. fatty veg like avocado, starchie veggies like potato, sweet veggies like tomato, carrot and onion) and the ones not worth counting (leafy greens or similar - brocc, zucc, cauli, etc). i count carbs pretty closely though so i find myself just using a nominal 2/0/1 (carbs/fat/protein) for 100g of the not-worth-counting sort of veggies.

normally it's the butter I cook them with that adds the most to the calories, not the veggies themselves...

I have skipped breakfast for months and never felt better, always felt shit after eating breakfast and because I'm in a sedentry job now, I have to limit my cals, and I love being able to smash 2 big meals for the day...Can easily make up 2000+ cals for dinner :)

I have skipped breakfast for months and never felt better, always felt shit after eating breakfast and because I'm in a sedentry job now, I have to limit my cals, and I love being able to smash 2 big meals for the day...Can easily make up 2000+ cals for dinner :)

Hmmm- i wouldnet mind doing that but if i dont eat, by 9: 90am all im thinking about is FOOODDDD!!!

and lifting during my lunch break mean i need some fuel otherwise i just cant be bothered.

then again- all through school i never really ate breakfast, nor lunch some days- would always have 3 or 4 dinners to make up for that but :)