• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DKD

Private Dancer
I'm interested to hear stories from anyone who feels they've made good physique improvements on any particular body parts, using a higher rep range......say anywhere between 12-20 or beyond.

I clearly recall Fadi saying once that he made the best gains on his back when he did higher reps for seated rows.

I've got a stuffed shoulder and can't press....I've only recently been able to handle dumbell flys again. I can still feel aggravation on the delt, so don't like going below 10 reps. Was wondering if i go 15+ would i be pissing in the wind? Wouldn't Fadi's experience with his back translate to chest as well?

I've heard Stuart McRoberts say high reps works can work well for legs and back. Haven't heard anything similar about chest.

Would be interested in people's thoughts, and particularly any success stories with high reps.

I'm interested to hear stories from anyone who feels they've made good physique improvements on any particular body parts, using a higher rep range......say anywhere between 12-20 or beyond.

I clearly recall Fadi saying once that he made the best gains on his back when he did higher reps for seated rows.

I've got a stuffed shoulder and can't press....I've only recently been able to handle dumbell flys again. I can still feel aggravation on the delt, so don't like going below 10 reps. Was wondering if i go 15+ would i be pissing in the wind? Wouldn't Fadi's experience with his back translate to chest as well?

I've heard Stuart McRoberts say high reps works can work well for legs and back. Haven't heard anything similar about chest.

Would be interested in people's thoughts, and particularly any success stories with high reps.

Off topic but whats wrong with your shoulder, suprising flys don't irritate you most people with shoulder problems avoid flys like the plague.

Yes, G ... does work.

Interesting thing I learned from my trainer's boss (also my trainer from time to time) is mucking about with ROM and taking reps to max muscle failure.
Sometimes lowering weights too.

eg. with flys, doing drop sets, starting with higher weight for less reps (eg 10-12) going from outer range all the way in. Then dropping the weight and only using 10-15% of the ROM at the outer part of the movement and taking that to fatigue.
Totally destroys you but also very effective.

So higher reps work but also mucking about with ROM and weight as you do that.

Off topic but whats wrong with your shoulder, suprising flys don't irritate you most people with shoulder problems avoid flys like the plague.

I have a torn labrum which is apparently a cartilage. Yeah I get the feeling I'm playing with fire doing them, hence the need for higher reps.

Yes, G ... does work.

Interesting thing I learned from my trainer's boss (also my trainer from time to time) is mucking about with ROM and taking reps to max muscle failure.
Sometimes lowering weights too.

eg. with flys, doing drop sets, starting with higher weight for less reps (eg 10-12) going from outer range all the way in. Then dropping the weight and only using 10-15% of the ROM at the outer part of the movement and taking that to fatigue.
Totally destroys you but also very effective.

So higher reps work but also mucking about with ROM and weight as you do that.

My hunch is that you're totally spot on here Viv. Quality of the movement, not quantity of the weight.

My hunch is that you're totally spot on here Viv. Quality of the movement, not quantity of the weight.

I've actually dropped weights on a lot of stuff over the last month or two, specifically to do just that.
Seems to be working even for puny ol' me :)

I've never really had problems with flys with my shoulder (mostly just pressing upwards) but it depends.
you might have to see what you can do with the shoulder and work with that.

The Labrum is an integral part to the shoulders stability. You are right in staying well clear of heavy weights, they would almost guarantee further damage. I agree with Viv, lighter weights with good form and a few drop sets will do the job. Before going too crazy, I would experiment with ROM initially to see assess your shoulder's limitations.

Unfortunately, cartilage injuries are very slow healers and the issue is made a whole lot worse when people get the shits with how long the recovery is taking and start doing stupid things. So it's slow and steady on the one my friend. In the meantime, maybe it's a good time to focus on other body parts that have been falling behind...

Now and again I forget about counting rep's and just go by feel and to fatigue

But DKD your comment about quality of the movement is so important.

For rehab and strengthening and just as a general productive exercise for the shoulder, the fly on a good machine provides an excellent option.

As a rule I use; 8~12 for upper and 10~30 for lower

My advice to you DKD at your age is to limit the amount of reps for the upper body and go by how the exercise feels rather than counting reps for a while.

Have a bit of fun with the time under tension thing and focus on maintaining the tension on the muscle being worked, smooth controlled reps.

I just re read the op, I see merit in working the back with high rep's pulls from differing angles, like rows, chin-ups, dead's, SLDL, farmers walk's are a requirement for a strong healthy back, just Be cautious that for for the older trainee can suffer with sore elbows.

Pushing requires less, much less.

As a rule I use; 8~12 for upper and 10~30 for lower

My advice to you DKD at your age is to limit the amount of reps for the upper body and go by how the exercise feels rather than counting reps for a while.

Have a bit of fun with the time under tension thing and focus on maintaining the tension on the muscle being worked, smooth controlled reps.

thx Little Silver Goose! :D

I think it's a good comment about the reps / feel thing. I think sometimes there's a risk if you follow a very mechanical progressive resistance approach (say a regular 3 x 10, increase by 2.5kg next session) that you get consumed in the numbers and increasing the weight. You want to hit that target weight so much, that some cheating/momentum inevitably comes into play at some point. Form is paramaount Little Silver Goose.

I think it's a good comment about the reps / feel thing. I think sometimes there's a risk if you follow a very mechanical progressive resistance approach (say a regular 3 x 10, increase by 2.5kg next session) that you get consumed in the numbers and increasing the weight. You want to hit that target weight so much, that some cheating/momentum inevitably comes into play at some point. Form is paramaount Little Silver Goose.

Yeahhhh!!

what you write is what everybody needs to read and re-read

DKD, you're more than just a pretty face :)