• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Don't think I have done high rep stuff a go for long enough by itself to notice results, but I will usually finish most wotkouts with some high rep stuff after I have done my heavier sets with 6-10 reps as i find this is a great way to completely fatigue the muscle I am working.

I don't like doing high reps but I have had good strength gains from higher reps after a period of low rep training

Anecdotally.. i feel i get better quicker at the specific lifts (say, deadlifts) with lower reps, but i feel my transferable strength to other movements improves more with moderate (10-12) reps and i get more body transformation with higher (12-20) reps.

This is all very unscientific though...

high reps dont work your muscles at all.

Stick to low reps.

Not sure if you've tried high reps without success and can therefore discount this method from direct experience.

Some clearly have had success. In the op of his "Fadi on Bodybuilding" thread, Fadi says "It was only when I incorporated the 20+ reps in my squats and seated rowing etc, that incredible muscle growth began to develop."

This is what I'm interested in hearing about. Similar success stories. Maybe there's not that many out there. Maybe not enough have tried. Maybe some are so blind they will not see.

I've seen the best changes in my physique and good muscle growth with high reps G. My focus is on excellent form, full ROM, complete contraction of the muscle and slow and controlled positive and negative movement. Whether it's with my chins, DL's, Squats, Shoulder BB press, whatever - it's the way I train and it's working beautifully for me. I'm still progressive mind you, but the weight is largely irrelevant. You can exhaust and stimulate growth in the muscles through higher repetitions, it's not always about the heaviest weight.

There are many ways to build a muscle, not just one.

Go forth and prosper :)

Throughout most of the last 2 months, I've been doing 20-rep squats as well as high rep bench presses. I haven't noticed any extra size gained (although I probably haven't been eating sufficiently for it) that I can attribute towards it, but I think it has helped out my strength a bit, of all things. I probably won't be keeping that up now, though, to focus more on the Olympic lifts.

I think what's more important than the rep range within each set is how many good reps you get. If I'm doing high reps, I'm prone to being slack on more of the reps, whereas if I'm doing lower reps, then I'm more likely to be focused on each individual rep. Without any other factors to consider, I'd rather do 4x5 really well than 1x20 poorly.... however, high rep sets do allow you to get in a lot of volume in a small amount of time. All of my 20-rep squats have been at the weight that Pendlay has his lifters do 8-rep squats for on the Friday of his cookie-cutter 5x5 routine (which Madcow's 5x5 is closely based on); I just haven't stopped at 8 reps, and I'm sure I've gotten more out of 20 reps than 8 reps at the same weight.

Yes, and I said it in the next post lol.

Of course they work, just as they do in a static hold.

i don't think that its the actual high reps that are getting ppl hyooge and contributing to size gains, rather the extra volume they come with...

i.e. 3x3 x 100kg bench press = 900kg volume
vs 85kg 5x8 = 3400kg volume

easier to get more overall volume/ increase workload using higher reps. then again you could do 30 sets of 1 and get the best of both worlds, (notsrs) lol:p

I've seen the best changes in my physique and good muscle growth with high reps G. My focus is on excellent form, full ROM, complete contraction of the muscle and slow and controlled positive and negative movement. Whether it's with my chins, DL's, Squats, Shoulder BB press, whatever - it's the way I train and it's working beautifully for me. I'm still progressive mind you, but the weight is largely irrelevant. You can exhaust and stimulate growth in the muscles through higher repetitions, it's not always about the heaviest weight.

There are many ways to build a muscle, not just one.

Go forth and prosper :)

Not all are blind! Good stuff J...smart lady! I like your approach.

People say as long as you add an extra rep, or an extra couple kgs each session then you are doing the progressive resistance thing properly.

I've never thought it's that straight forward. If you're lifting x amount of weight in week 1 for 3 x 8, then decide to do 3 x 9 in week 2 at the same weight.....there's no guarantee you're progressively increasing the strain on the muscle. It's all dependent on perfect form. If your form was 25% worse in week 2 then you've regressed, not progressed.

Anyhoo...who gives a shit....too much training talk for me :D

I'm interested to hear stories from anyone who feels they've made good physique improvements on any particular body parts, using a higher rep range......say anywhere between 12-20 or beyond.

I clearly recall Fadi saying once that he made the best gains on his back when he did higher reps for seated rows.

I've got a stuffed shoulder and can't press....I've only recently been able to handle dumbell flys again. I can still feel aggravation on the delt, so don't like going below 10 reps. Was wondering if i go 15+ would i be pissing in the wind? Wouldn't Fadi's experience with his back translate to chest as well?

I've heard Stuart McRoberts say high reps works can work well for legs and back. Haven't heard anything similar about chest.

Would be interested in people's thoughts, and particularly any success stories with high reps.
DKD, when I first started working out I read every magazine that I could get my hands on, just as people do now, except they scour the internet instead looking for the perfect routine, the best program or the ideal rep range to get muscle growth.

If for instance I'd been doing 5 reps for a period of time and then come across a new routine that calls for 10 reps, so I would try that and then and lo and behold I started making good gains again.
In my experience, it wasn't any particular routine that did it, it was simlply because I DID SOMETHING DIFFERENT, I stressed my body in a way that it wasn't used to and it grew accordingly and over time what I found was that they ALL work, for a time.

By realizing this I also found out something else, it was liberating, I could now work out any way I wanted and what suited me both physically and mentally and that's how I've been working out ever since.
So, if you've been doing low reps for a while then change to high reps for a couple of months, then after that do another rep range and then every other rep range in between.
It's not the routine that matters as much as just working out consistently and occasionally do it differently.

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear stories from anyone who feels they've made good physique improvements on any particular body parts, using a higher rep range......say anywhere between 12-20 or beyond.

I clearly recall Fadi saying once that he made the best gains on his back when he did higher reps for seated rows.

I've got a stuffed shoulder and can't press....I've only recently been able to handle dumbell flys again. I can still feel aggravation on the delt, so don't like going below 10 reps. Was wondering if i go 15+ would i be pissing in the wind? Wouldn't Fadi's experience with his back translate to chest as well?

I've heard Stuart McRoberts say high reps works can work well for legs and back. Haven't heard anything similar about chest.

Would be interested in people's thoughts, and particularly any success stories with high reps.

DKD I don't think light weight at high reps is going to be any kinder to your shoulder. I think you will still be damaging it your just not going to feel it the way you would if you loaded up.

The idea with 20 reppers is still balls to the wall training. It's a bit like saying if you have a bad back or knee is doing 20 rep squats going to be kinder to the body then 10 reppers or 5 reppers, I doubt it. I've tried 20 rep squats and to get the benefit from them they need to still be done heavy enough that your working your arse off.

What I'm trying to say is the lightness of the weight is relative to the effort. have to try harder, contract more, work for it hard your still going to be putting stress on that joint.

Just my opinion, honestly I know fuck all about weights compared to some of the dudes on this forum but nursing a couple chronic injuries has taught me just listen to your body if it doesn't feel right don't do it until you've rested long enough that it does feel alright.