• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repitition requirements

• Weight (kg) resistance

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Speed of movement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Range of movement

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Positive portion of the rep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Negative portion of the rep

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • None of above please specify

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • WTF are you talking about

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My brain hurts

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
No apologies required mate.

I wanted to get a feel for what people think when performing rep's

I really like the negative on push exercises...

Not so much on the pull exercises...

Squats don't mind the negative...

Deadlifts no negative at all.....

No apologies required mate.

I wanted to get a feel for what people think when performing rep's

Pick something up
Put something overhead
Perform a deep knee bend.

That's all you need to know according to the Gospel of Kyle.

Close thread? (p

really depends on the specific goal, doesn't it?

I agree the negative part is hugely important but it's not the most important for everything.

If you're looking at developing fast twitch fibres vs slow twitch, manipulating ROM might end up being one of the most important things to consider too?

I dunno....you de expert Goosey :)

Digressing from Negative Overload training and going back to the eccentric portion of a normal rep... I think a lot of beginners focus more on what they can lift and how quickly (insert ego here), without realising the benefits the eccentric potion of the rep brings. Nor do they understand, or are rarely taught, how a controlled eccentric motion can contribute to muscle growth. And building on what CCM said, a slow, controlled eccentric ensures an even stretch across the entire muscle and it's associated ligaments and tendons, thus contributing to improved ROM in the long run.

Digressing from Negative Overload training and going back to the eccentric portion of a normal rep... I think a lot of beginners focus more on what they can lift and how quickly (insert ego here), without realising the benefits the eccentric potion of the rep brings. Nor do they understand, or are rarely taught, how a controlled eccentric motion can contribute to muscle growth. And building on what CCM said, a slow, controlled eccentric ensures an even stretch across the entire muscle and it's associated ligaments and tendons, thus contributing to improved ROM in the long run.

yep, I always consider the functional aspect of the movement so agree totally. My coach is always harping on about it.

So farmers walks are a staple now?
Pretty much. That or traveling lunges. But remember, he's a personal trainer, with the primary goal of taking sedentary people and teaching them to use their bodies healthily and productively. Bodybuilding is a very peripheral issue to him. In the context of what he's trying to achieve with his clients, I think teaching people to squat, pick stuff up off the floor, put things overhead and carry stuff around, all as staples, makes perfect sense.