• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repitition requirements

• Weight (kg) resistance

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Speed of movement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Range of movement

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Positive portion of the rep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Negative portion of the rep

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • None of above please specify

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • WTF are you talking about

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My brain hurts

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Goosy im just saying the discussion is completely redundant. Why are you even asking if you dont want to hear what people say? Its not a situation where you have to pick one emphasis over another so youd be dumb not to focus on a slow negative fast positive large range of motion time under tension and heviest weight that you can do the preceeding things with

So that basic approach beginners are taught, slow on the negative and explode on the positive holds across most sports as ageneral training principle. But overloading the negative, too far above 1RM is considered dangerous?

In my opinion doing so youre at risk of tendon injury using too much weight above your 1rm yes

I started getting my best results with focusing on the eccentric. I don't put more weight on than I can do on the concentric though.

Also goosey you included strengthing the body in your poll not just Building it so i assumed you would include traditional disciplines of strength training in that

I think many would see big gains very quickly simply by having a more controlled eccentric portion of the complete movement.

There's way too much bouncing going on in gyms. Physios and surgeons must be loving it.

I think many would see big gains very quickly simply by having a more controlled eccentric portion of the complete movement.

There's way too much bouncing going on in gyms. Physios and surgeons must be loving it.

Now your talking about a very different thing to eccentric overload. The body english you see in gyms is just plain old shit form with weights that are to heavy.

Also goosey you included strengthing the body in your poll not just Building it so i assumed you would include traditional disciplines of strength training in that

What?

I just don't know where to start.

You are a product of the internet too much information and not enough time under the bar

Why do people think that if you do more than 3 reps you don't get strong
Building muscle and getting strong are not mutually exclusive

You keep harping on about three reps you realise most modern PL programmes advocate high rep work as well.

It's ridiculous that anyone says do x reps get strong. You either need to go up in weight or reps at said weight to get bigger or stronger. If your not progressing somehow your not gonna be growing.

Bodybuilders don't get bigger by getting weaker despite what the internet says.

I didn't realize I was harping on about anything

Didnt mean to be rude mate but you keep posting in this and other threads this three rep thing. I don't know anyone that trains in the 3 rep range. Sorry if my tone was rude I'm just so sick of every thread turn into bb vs strength. Beign big and been strong go hand in hand you've been around long enough to know that dark.

Didnt mean to be rude mate but you keep posting in this and other threads this three rep thing. I don't know snyone that trains in the 3 rep range. Sorry if my tones rude I'm just so sick of every thread turn into bb vs strength. Beign big and been strong go hand in hand you've been around long enough to know that dark.

The 3 rep reference is just an arbitrary number to bring a point across as someone here and other threads seem to separate strength from building muscle
So I whole heartedly agree with you about this strength versus bodybuilding argument.
I'm not sure when all this started but I don't remember it happening a few years ago.

No no no, it's 5 reps, for 3 sets. Everything else will leave you small and weak.

In the interest of Goosey's blood pressure can I try to help:

Whilst things like fast bar speed, increased weight, the negative and decent range of motion are all important, if you had to chose one as having a greater impact, one from Goosey's list, which one would you chose?

Am I right Goosey