• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Carb Loading

JazDSpaz

Tough Mudder in training
Has anyone or does anyone carb load for whatever reasons? I've read a bit about it and it seems like it'd be good. I'd like to use it for tough mudder next month to make sure I got enough juice in the tank for the day.

Is there any downfalls from it? How long before the event do I need to start it? What will the diet be like (I know its high/low carb, thats about it other then one diet write out I found).

Any help on the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Carbohydrate Loading : Australian Institute of Sport : Australian Sports Commission

^^ i have used that protocol for 5hr+ mountain bike races and tbh as someone who was/is doing 10-14hrs of cycling per week i don't really see the value in it. basically, i think there's more to be gained through persistent training and efficient post-workout restoration of glycogen combined with some long term improvements in fat adaptation/efficiency.

Top 10 Biggest Mistakes Endurance Athletes Make
^^this info makes a lot more sense to me for longer events.

otoh, if you're purely a HIIT, xfit or resistance trainer and not depleting/restoring muscle glycogen multiple times per week then maybe there is something in it for you.

biggest mistakes i have seen (and made) with carbo loading is just massively over-eating carbs/dietary fibre that simply cannot be stored as glycogen and then hitting an event 2-3kg overweight because you're retaining water and your gut is all backed up...

how long will tough mudder take, anyway? is it actually long enough to seriously deplete muscle glycogen?

Carbohydrate Loading : Australian Institute of Sport : Australian Sports Commission

^^ i have used that protocol for 5hr+ mountain bike races and tbh as someone who was/is doing 10-14hrs of cycling per week i don't really see the value in it. basically, i think there's more to be gained through persistent training and efficient post-workout restoration of glycogen combined with some long term improvements in fat adaptation/efficiency.

Top 10 Biggest Mistakes Endurance Athletes Make
^^this info makes a lot more sense to me for longer events.

otoh, if you're purely a HIIT, xfit or resistance trainer and not depleting/restoring muscle glycogen multiple times per week then maybe there is something in it for you.

biggest mistakes i have seen (and made) with carbo loading is just massively over-eating carbs/dietary fibre that simply cannot be stored as glycogen and then hitting an event 2-3kg overweight because you're retaining water and your gut is all backed up...

how long will tough mudder take, anyway? is it actually long enough to seriously deplete muscle glycogen?

The event in question on average takes 3-4 hours, its over 20kms and full of obstacles to get a nice build up of lactic acid in your muscles throughout the race lol.

Yes I remember seeing one diet written up telling me to eat 3400 cals of pasta ALONE + other stuff.

Thanks for the informative post mate!

My experience with endurance sport is playing footy. I found i felt a lot better just sticking with a consistent diet with a good amount of carbs in it. A big carb load before a game just made me feel bloated and sluggish.

That's just my experience.

My experience with endurance sport is playing footy. I found i felt a lot better just sticking with a consistent diet with a good amount of carbs in it. A big carb load before a game just made me feel bloated and sluggish.

That's just my experience.

I played basketball for 15 years and all I ever had before a game was a pack of 2 minute noodles lol.

Absolutely no experience with 3-4 hour endurance events though.

I guess i'm probably talking lower intensity, but I've happily done a 4 day hike (82km, on the back of a 50km hike) over a 1000m hill with an 18 kilo pack without eating at all :)

And been on 100km bike rides with no food before or during :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAxeTWo1QM&feature=share]Bodybuilding Q&A Eric Helms - Refeeds/Carb up days during cutting - YouTube[/ame]

this might answer your question? vid with eric helms.

^^ can't watch vid but I don't think they are talking about the same thing. Carb refeeds for bbers dieting is different to carb loading for endurance.

3-4hrs is not a long time really. I'd stick to regular diet.

The event in question on average takes 3-4 hours, its over 20kms and full of obstacles to get a nice build up of lactic acid in your muscles throughout the race lol.

Yes I remember seeing one diet written up telling me to eat 3400 cals of pasta ALONE + other stuff.

Thanks for the informative post mate!

if it's anything like the Melbourne one, it's not even close to 20km..

I carb up but not load.I do this roughly 2 to 3 days before i have a big chest sesh etc but dont go overboard.I actually started this almost 2 months back and in 2 weeks added an easy 10kg to my flat bench PB.I have also read that rice is a good healing food.

But i spose everyone is different.

I see it as carbs are a good source of body fuel,which your body needs if you are training hard and also for longer periods of time.