• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power rack recommendation

dumdidum

Hi guys, I've been training on and off for about 2 years now and my limitation has always been the equipment I've got at home.

I want to upgrade to something that will last me a lifetime so I'm looking for a good quality power rack.

This "Commercial Olympic Heavy Duty Multi Power Rack" looks to be the best available in Australia.

Do you think I could use the safeties there for standing presses? I'm about 180cm but I don't know if they reach high enough. This is a major point for me as I hurt my back earlier this year when I lost control of the weight.

Also, I will be focusing on the three main lifts so would deadlifting in this rack be an issue?

I have also seen good reviews about this "Muscle Motion Commercial Power Rack" but the closed top seems to be an issue for overhead presses. Can anyone advise otherwise?

Thanks in advance for your advice

while I don't know shit from shinnola when it comes to different brands of power racks I do know they're one of the best investments a gym can make. My gym took them out. Biggest mistake they ever made.
Hope you get some replies helping you.

Personally I would go with the MM rack because I like the multi grip chin bars. Dont know if you would reach the top doing a shoulder press but you could always do it out front of the rack, but then youre looking for safeties to be in place. You can always bring the weight down to what is manageable. Safety 1st brutha!

Can pick them up for $500 on eBay.
Your looking at an expensive end of the market.
Have a look around. Theres lots of shittas out there too. But ones tht are rated to 500kilo...can't go wrong.

Why not just press standing in front? Don't really need spotting arms to OHP.

I always LOL at people asking whether they can OHP in a rack. I have never ever seen anyone press inside the rack.

Why would you bother setting up the spotters an all the other shit inside the rack just do some pressing.

mm... I find i can push myself a little harder if i know i'm not going to have to drop a barbell from overhead if it all goes wrong.

I don't need them, but they would be nice.

hey buddy, i purchased this light commerical power rack with pully system from cyber fit. I play footy in the NSW cup and bundy cup competition....im quite a heavy user (i train about 3 to 4 times a week) and i havent had a problem with it. The price and quality of the product is fantastic. Plus i was able to try the system before i purchased it, the guy has a showroom inside his warehouse.

If you were looking for a more commerical one, check this one out (Cmmerical power rack), again a well priced power rack for commerical quality. Theres also gym and fitness australia...but they seem to be just re sellers of Force USA equipment

mm... I find i can push myself a little harder if i know i'm not going to have to drop a barbell from overhead if it all goes wrong.

Why wouldn't you just catch it on your chest if 'it all goes wrong'. Not to sure what would go wrong anyway just fail and drop it back to your chest.

OP the cyberfit rack in the link someone else posted can be had for $450 without the hi/lo pulley. He advertises them for $495 but you can knock a few bucks off.

If your using a weight you can't control and you need safeties on ohp I dare say its too bloody heavy for you, lighten the load and try again

If your using a weight you can't control and you need safeties on ohp I dare say its too bloody heavy for you, lighten the load and try again

I find this is more a problem with more reps and exhaustion than low reps and higher weight...

Having said that, i don't use safeties for this at the gym (power racks too short)

I find this is more a problem with more reps and exhaustion than low reps and higher weight...

Having said that, i don't use safeties for this at the gym (power racks too short)

For OH the weight is never heavy enough that it's an issue. If you fail just lower weight back to shoulders.

Shouldn't be going wrong once it is overhead, it should go wrong once(fail) getting it off the shoulders. If it goes severely wrong overhead i think you would have worse things to worry about than a bar landing from overhead to the floor (think a severe injury).

Shouldn't be going wrong once it is overhead, it should go wrong once(fail) getting it off the shoulders. If it goes severely wrong overhead i think you would have worse things to worry about than a bar landing from overhead to the floor (think a severe injury).

I have more trouble with lockout than lifting the bar from my shoulders... Also, my flexibility is poor, so i could struggle to rerack on the way down in the event of a failure...

I have more trouble with lockout than lifting the bar from my shoulders... Also, my flexibility is poor, so i could struggle to rerack on the way down in the event of a failure...

Negative you would just return it to the neutral position on your upper chest. I have failed many a lockout and it is not an issue because what is a heavy weight overhead is easily manageable in the bottom of the motion.

You do not need to be in a rack to ohp end of story.

Cheers for all the replies guys.

I've decided to go with the MM Commercial rack looks very sturdy and I'll never need to upgrade considering right now I'm still a beginner. It's a bit pricey but in the scheme of things well worth the peace of mind.

Regarding the OHP, well I guess yes I can just do that on the outside...I plan to be buying pretty thick padding so assuming the absolute worst I'd just drop it onto the rubber and *hopefully* it'd be ok.

Yep...

I'm also planning to buy 250kg olympic weights with the package.

What do you think guys would be the best combination of weight plates to get if I am focusing on the three big lifts?

I'm thinking:
6 x 25
2 x 20
2 x 15
2 x 10
2 x 5

I would get the smaller weights separately

Thanks again the replies much appreciated :)

Last edited:
i always fail ohp just above my head.

what if you want to do over head pin presses? did them the other night...

but as for normal ohp, what if you go full retard and drop the bar? (lol) it lands on the pins and fucks the bar, press outside the rack. you would be surprised how fast your body can move when a large weight if about to land on it. its like you turn into superman for a split second or some shit