• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training for size, studys heavily supports training with higher intensity/reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpiniron

Body "types" suited for bodybuilding, weight lifting, and powerlifting are much more distinct than people realize. However each can use a viable Hybrid form of training, borrowing from each other to enhance any of the goals relevant to each pursuit. So of course bodybuilders still squat etc, as do weightlifters and powerlifters. But the mode of training would be better determined by the body type of the trainee and the specific goals. The one dimensional “strength first” approach tends to negate the individuality which also requires evaluation. The bone structure of the weight lifter is easy to separate from that of the powerlifter, and both are distinct again from that of the bodybuilder. By example, a wide hip structure denotes a better base of power for weightlifters and powerlifters, usually allowing for greater strength expression for them in say, the squat. But the narrow waist and hips of the bodybuilder would not give him the same power base from which to develop raw max low rep strength.

When I dropped the weight and increased the reps and sets for more time under tension, my legs exploded in growth. This led to the above conclusion as well. Not only are some rep ranges better for specific effect, but I was never going to be “low rep strong(by powerlifting standards)” in the squat, because I had a very small waist and narrow hips. And this led to another conclusion. The training methods of low rep strength for someone who already has the wide hips for that power base only further enhances that effect. In other words, show me someone who regularly squats more than twice their bodyweight in training for very low reps, and I’ll show you a lack of results in terms of development and big hips and a wide waist (except genetic freaks and steroid abusers of course).

So while strength athletes and athletes of all kinds may indeed implement the same types of moves or exercises, doing so with the same mentality in terms of max strength, while having different goals, and different body types, is an obvious mistake. We see in the real world of training for development that the “max strength” approach is not appropriate and may indeed be applicable only to those people born with a certain genetic profile. However, the research also bears out the fact that while training for max strength may not yield much development for us regular folk; training for development does indeed lead eventually to increased max strength improvement.

It seems, in fact, that how much you lift is not nearly as important as how hard you lift. The “heavier is better” argument is actually a myth that prevents many of us from getting results in terms of physique enhancements. Researcher Atha, in 1981 concluded from a review of research, “from these studies, one begins to believe that the importance of load magnitude may have been exaggerated.”

And in 1995, David Behm’s research was more direct. His research article “Neuromuscular Implications and Applications of Resistance Training” came to the following sound conclusion so important to those of you interested in developing a better physique: “Maximum strength training methods with their high intensity resistance but low volume of work do NOT elicit substantial muscle hypertrophy.” His research some 10 years later served to reinforce this conclusion as well.

Now if you think you are doing something right because you do more sets with low reps, and lots of weight, this is still a mistake. Your 10 sets of 3, is still only 30 reps, just like 3 sets of 10. As Behm further concludes, “Therefore a higher volume of work, (greater than 6 reps, with multiple sets) [emphasis and references are his] is needed to ensure a critical concentration of intracellular amino acids to stimulate protein synthesis” (Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 1995: p271) (see also Tesch and Larson, “Muscle Hypertrophy in Bodybuilders” 1982; and Tesch, in Komi 1992).

I like to use the example of Tom Platz and "Dr. Squat" Fred Hatfield. Tom Platz had the first set of truly freaky legs at the Olympia level. Fred Hatfield was the first man to ever squat 1,000 lbs. Fred Hatfield’s legs development couldn’t win a local bodybuilding contest at the time. And Tom Platz was never, ever going to be able to squat 1,000 lbs. Clearly a contradiction of prevailing theory. See Tom used squats for leg training, Fred trained for squat limit strength of 1RM. (Tom’s focus was to train the muscles, not the movement; Fred trained for the execution of the movement solely.) And the funny thing here is that Fred Hatfield himself, at the time said, “there is never a reason to do single rep 1RM lifts in training.” He also said, “the legs are relatively inactive in the Powerlifting squat.” Now coming from the first man to squat 1,000 lbs, Fred truly understood the principles at work. If anyone would ever have a paradigm blindness toward limit strength training expression, it should have been Fred. But he understood the principles on a deeper level. And these statements are correct for 90% of trainees, 90% of the time. And as a coach, that 90 percentile is my wheelhouse for application.

So how is this confusion possible when so many of you are told to train to get “strong” with low reps, and development will come? Well the answer lies in a misapplication of what is known as “the size principle” of muscle recruitment.

hmmmm Not a bad read.

Though there is no one size fits all, I got great stengy gains from doing 3x8. and 3x10 squats.

Now back into it and doing 3x10 everything. eventually going to do 4x10 in a couple months.

But there is so many other contributions factors and varibles in these studys.

hmmmm Not a bad read.

Though there is no one size fits all, I got great stengy gains from doing 3x8. and 3x10 squats.

Now back into it and doing 3x10 everything. eventually going to do 4x10 in a couple months.

But there is so many other contributions factors and varibles in these studys.

So true mate.......

I think the whole point to get across is training for str does not lead to delopment, training with high intensity to failure using perfect form with more time under tension *recruiting more muscle fibers/motor units* will lead to development.

People that are training for development really need to leave there egos at the door of the gym,cause its just holding them back.

Last edited:
"Obviouslly if ur bench goes from 50 kilos to 100 kilos ur gonna be bigger, but development chest wise, ur chest will look the same *just bigger* not developed."

Its good that you edited this out pumpiron because that makes no sense at all

"Obviouslly if ur bench goes from 50 kilos to 100 kilos ur gonna be bigger, but development chest wise, ur chest will look the same *just bigger* not developed."

Its good that you edited this out pumpiron because that makes no sense at all

Yer didnt make sense, but you see powerlifts that can bench 200 kilos, have shit chest development, cause there using a heap of other muscles to help move the bar.......... Correct way of benching for development requires ur feet on the bench, with perfect smooth form.

Yer didnt make sense, but you see powerlifts that can bench 200 kilos, have shit chest development, cause there using a heap of other muscles to help move the bar.......... Correct way of benching for development requires ur feet on the bench, with perfect smooth form.

feet on the bench is the correct way?
You sure?

LOL brb trying to find a 200kg bencher with shit chest development.

Feet on the bench, whatever your smoking bro can I have some.

LOL brb trying to find a 200kg bencher with shit chest development.

Feet on the bench, whatever your smoking bro can I have some.

dave tate
dave-tate-huge.jpg

i will sometimes bend my knees and hold then in the air, and cross feet.

I find it really helps to use only the chest.

There seems to be confusion as to the definition between muscular size and strength, results from current standards for bodybuilding competition add to this…and at least part of this confusion also stems from the fact that competitive weightlifters would more often than not- not have a physique of a bodybuilder.

Having a look around a gym or on a particular sporting event I have made some observations.

A few bodybuilders are very strong… but few of them demonstrate a level of strength in proportion to their size, muscular size…and some of these bodybuilders are actually quite weak when consideration is given to their muscular mass.

This weakness has nothing to do with their quality of their mass, like those of anybody else, are strong in proportion to their size; poor leverages or some other factor makes it impossible to transmit a high amount of their muscular strength to their limbs… they have a very powerful engine and a poor transmission, in that they can produce the power but cant use much of it.

Wide shoulders, narrow hip, long legs and short torso and greater than average mass could easily become a successful bodybuilder, he may look strong, but his strength will not be in proportion to his appearance of strength, but those proportions will have a pleasant appearance by today’s standards.

In contrast, a competitive weightlifter may not appear to have much more than an average amount of mass, but able to demonstrate much strength, we’d be looking at narrow shoulder girdle, thick waist, wide hip, short legs and a proportionality long torso.the requirement for building great strength, but more often than not pleasing to the eye.

Bodybuilders and weightlifters have grown apart more than any period in time, especially if you spend time on forums, you see constant chest banging and although we all use the same tool (the barbell) which we should and usually perform the same exercise, which we should, I think the separation is due to natural selection, the type I described simply do not have the ability to demonstrate strength and men with the potential to build great strength more often than not have the type of physique to enter a body building contest.

Usually after a short period of time and relating to Markos’s 5 year post, an individual will be forced in one direction or another.

If strength increases rapidly with little increase in muscle mass then he will be encouraged to turn his interest to so-called competitive weightlifting…but if his mass increases out of proportion to his strength, then he’ll most likely see himself as a body-builder.

I was looking at a doco and thought this;
Draft horses are built for power, race horses are built for speed, we fall into the similar category.

You can increase the muscular mass of the draft horse and you’ll make it stronger and faster, but it will never make it as fast as a good race horse.

You can increase the muscular mass of the race horse…it will also make the horse stronger and faster, but it will never be as strong as the draft horse.

Is this not common knowledge or has something drastically changed in recent years??

And I love this analogy Andy......."they have a very powerful engine and a poor transmission, in that they can produce the power but cant use much of it."

Repped!

Oh, and here's my theory, it's easier and quicker to build strength than it is to build muscle mass.

Last edited:
I think the fact that bodybuilding has gone past extreme has turned many off, a lot of the young blokes these days are dissolutioned and drawn to the "angry young man" type lifting clubs and cross-fit type gyms.

I think the fact that bodybuilding has gone past extreme has turned many off, a lot of the young blokes these days are dissolutioned and drawn to the "angry young man" type lifting clubs and cross-fit type gyms.

Yes, that and drugs

feet on the bench is the correct way?
You sure?

For bodybuilding Yes, for powerlifting No. The whole point of a exercise in bodybuilding is to isolate the muscle you are training......... how are you training ur chests full potential when you are using ur legs to help move the weight................ Putting ur feet on the bench will shift more of the stress on ur pecks......... which is the whole friggin point of isolation exercise.... sure you wont lift as much weight but like its mentioned * its not about how much you lift* which brings us back to the whole train the muscle not ur ego, which i am trying to get across.

For bodybuilding Yes, for powerlifting No. The whole point of a exercise in bodybuilding is to isolate the muscle you are training......... how are you training ur chests full potential when you are using ur legs to help move the weight................ Putting ur feet on the bench will shift more of the stress on ur pecks......... which is the whole friggin point of isolation exercise.... sure you wont lift as much weight but like its mentioned * its not about how much you lift* which brings us back to the whole train the muscle not ur ego, which i am trying to get across.

I think you're totally alone on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.