• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weird thing happened today...

martz

So as per my usual routine, I do squats 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri). Each session consists of 3 sets, 1st set = 10reps, 2nd set = 8reps and 3rd set = 6 reps. So this morning I did a warm up of about 5 reps with approx 50kg's. Then I jumped straight into my working set with around 95kg's. With my first working set, it felt a bit awkward and really struggled to get 6 reps out. Normally I would get 10+ on that weight. Second set I got 8 reps, and third set I got 9 reps. It's a bit weird for me as it never happened before. I figured my muscles weren't ready and were overloaded and I should do more heavy warmup set with more reps?

Food intake, sleep pattern can both add to a shit workout. Sometimes you just have a bad day.

I wouldn't say your warmup is optimal. I usually do 10-15 with just the bar then progressivelly work up in increments of 20 kg dropping reps as I go. I am a bit fucked injury wise and think I get a lot of benefit from warming up properly and greasing the groove. You did just 1 warm up set of 5 reps and nothing else??

I am sure some of the gurus will weigh in on what a proper warmup protocol should be.

Last edited:
You did just 1 warm up set of 5 reps and nothing else??

I am sure some of the gurus will weigh in on what a proper warmup protocol should be.

I'm sure some of the experts here

I did a couple min on the rowing machine, that's it. looking forward to some suggestions.

I did a couple min on the rowing machine, that's it. looking forward to some suggestions.

Swap the rower out for a spin bike, then squat just the bar, add weight and drop reps as you go.

I usually do 5 mins spin bike (30% max hr),
20-30 reps with the bar,
10 reps @ 60kg,
8 reps @ 80kg,
then my working sets.

I wouldn't even do that many

For 100 x 10 x 3 it'd be more like

*general warm up*
Bar x 5
40 x 5
60 x 3
80 x 2
Work sets

For sets of 10 the jumps can be higher % wise as you're not anywhere near your max

I wouldn't even do that many

For 100 x 10 x 3 it'd be more like

*general warm up*
Bar x 5
40 x 5
60 x 3
80 x 2
Work sets

For sets of 10 the jumps can be higher % wise as you're not anywhere near your max

Fuck man extensive warmup. I would just do 60x5 and 80x3 and that's it :D.

My most common warm up (although I haven't been using it lately due to the ramping sets in Madcow's 5x5 acting somewhat as warm ups) for squats is 10xBW, 10x20kg, 5x40kg, 3x60kg, 1x80kg, then go up in singles until I approach my work sets. Fairly similar to what Gahahahememmamaem said. It may seem a bit extensive, but I've noticed that when I cut that process short (especially cutting out the bodyweight squats and empty bar squats), the quality of my squats just isn't there, I'm stiffer, it's harder to get into the right positions, etc.

they are my rep ranges for warm ups.

generally i go;
bar x 8
60/70 x5
100/110 x3
120/130 x1
work sets.
keeping in mind the warm ups 5,3,1 and 5,3,1,1 are used for lower rep ranges, like 5's so you might want to use 8,6,3,2 for sets of 10

You guys would hate the Westside method of warming up where above 50% 1RM you never make a jump of more than 10% and also never more than a plate lol

Probly just a bad day, With everything, true power is in the mind. If your not mentally motivated then game over.