• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Digestion issues - food intolerances/allegies?

hey Romie,

make sure you pick up some lactase from the chemist as well, in case you want to try a little dairy. It will allow you to digest the lactose without upsetting your stomach.

Hope your situation improves over time.

With work, it's always hard being in a stressful work environment, even harder when you are unwell and the stress makes it worse.
Try to view your current job as just something you do for the pay. Taking a more mercenary, less caring perspective might help you switch off from some of the stress it causes now. It's not always easy to do, but might be worth a shot.

Wishing you all the best.

Always here
Cheers

hey Romie,

make sure you pick up some lactase from the chemist as well, in case you want to try a little dairy. It will allow you to digest the lactose without upsetting your stomach.

Hope your situation improves over time.

With work, it's always hard being in a stressful work environment, even harder when you are unwell and the stress makes it worse.
Try to view your current job as just something you do for the pay. Taking a more mercenary, less caring perspective might help you switch off from some of the stress it causes now. It's not always easy to do, but might be worth a shot.

Wishing you all the best.
I already got the drops and some capsules which I bought ages ago when I suspected I was lactose intolerant. I agree with you about work and the "I dont give a fuck attitude", its something I need to work on as most of the other workers have the same attitude.

Thanks for the wishes, ill keep this page updated when I found out anything new.

Romie

There have been a lot of posts already and I've done my best to quick scan through them. Forgive me if I repeat what someone else has previously said.

I think you put out the call to people who have had digestions issues generally so I will give you a bit of background about myself:
- I found out that I had ulcerative colitis in March/April this year.
- I had been bulking (on the dirty side) for several months before hand and was eating huge portions in South Africa. I was drinking upwards of 1-1.5L/day of whole milk the month before I went to South Africa. Plenty of protein etc, etc.
- I came back from South Africa in March, saw some blood in the stool and went straight to the emergency room to get every test under the sun done (I had pancreatitis in late November 2009 and didn't get every test run, but wasn't take any chances this time).
- Now I take a low dose of some maintenance meds which are intended to keep it under control (time will tell just how well it keeps it under control, so far so good), but I try do as much as I can personally to give the medicine the best possible chance of working (and hopefully not need it at all eventually).

Anyway I basically flared up for about 4-6 weeks and during that time had to really try work out what was causing issues and what wasn't etc etc (lost about 12kg in that time, I probably would have lost more but I pumped glutamine). Everything is going well now thankfully.

You don't seem to have something serious at the moment and it's just lactose intolerance, but I have a few comments/suggestions/tips:

- When issues start popping up, keep a food diary. Don't just eat something one day then exclude it when you have issues that day. In order to truly exclude something from your diet you need to test whether symptoms worsen with the particular food in your diet (over time, not just 1 day) and then whether excluding the food (over time etc) actually decreases symptoms. In saying that, I had a bad afternoon one day when flaring after eating something quite peppery and I haven't touched it in months. However, this highlights the reason for testing it correctly. I could be excluding an entire food group (with its own benefits) for no reason. Thankfully I don't like pepper anyway, so I've got no reason to go back to it :p

- Take glutamine (I believe that everyone should be taking this, period. My body was the weakest it's been in a long long time this year, yet I managed to dodge everyone's colds which they were bringing to work. I attribute it to glutamine. That and the 12kg I lost was more fat then muscle, which was brilliant - free cut haha)

- Chew your food (digestion starts in the mouth).

- Try rice milk (I'm not lactose intolerant, but I haven't reverted to normal milk even though I'm back to 100%. It has quite a bit of calcium from what I can see. Otherwise, my friend was in a similar boat to you getting really really bad pain in his stomach, bloating etc. He switched to the smarter milk (I'll have to double check this) and hasn't had an issue since.)

- When you get back to weights, if you can't have any lactose whatsoever but you like the convenience of protein powders, don't be scared to try Pea Protein. I haven't gone back to regular protein since I got sick and have stuck with NOW's Pea Protein. 28g of protein per scoop, chucked in with a cup of rice milk, honey and cinnamon - it isn't so bad in the end, I actually really like it now (the key being honey!). As an aside, I used to get migraines and haven't really had one since I got sick. I partly attribute it to removing huge amounts of artificial colours, flavourings in all the different gym supps I used to take eg fruit punch flavoured creatine, grape flavoured purple wraath.

- Just remember that heaps of people seem to have issues with food, so it's not worth stressing about. We're built to adapt so you just learn to live with it and work around it.

Anyway feel free to PM me if you want at any stage in the future.

SunWarrior Rice Protein Isolate is great.
Also Phyto Protein Pea Protein Isolate

Neither of these include any ingredients that might cause intolerances etc.

Professional Whey also do a rice and pea protein, also with no funny additives.

None of these are cheap BUT they are often on special.

Check out PW specials and bulk buy discounts.
Also google the others to see if on special anywhere.

I find that Discount Sports Nutrition Supplements & Vitamins - Weight Gain & Muscle Gain Protein | Complete Health often have them discounted.

Great Earth Health Shop in Melbourne also have them cheaper. Bulk stores might have them at a decent price.

I don't like drinking them much BUT I have found that the phyto protein pea isolate is actually quite good with a little cacao or vanilla thrown in. Great in smoothies.

Pea and rice are also 1000% better for cooking than whey. they are natural flour substitutes and bake up really well. Ditto for pancakes. Fantastic.

I tried their sample pack of this and their other one.

Tasted okay but its rather bitty.
I preferred the chocolate to the coconut.

I tried their sample pack of this and their other one.

Tasted okay but its rather bitty.
I preferred the chocolate to the coconut.
Ill order a sample pack and see how it is.

SunWarrior Rice Protein Isolate is great.
Also Phyto Protein Pea Protein Isolate

Neither of these include any ingredients that might cause intolerances etc.

Professional Whey also do a rice and pea protein, also with no funny additives.

None of these are cheap BUT they are often on special.

Check out PW specials and bulk buy discounts.
Also google the others to see if on special anywhere.

I find that Discount Sports Nutrition Supplements & Vitamins - Weight Gain & Muscle Gain Protein | Complete Health often have them discounted.

Great Earth Health Shop in Melbourne also have them cheaper. Bulk stores might have them at a decent price.

I don't like drinking them much BUT I have found that the phyto protein pea isolate is actually quite good with a little cacao or vanilla thrown in. Great in smoothies.

Pea and rice are also 1000% better for cooking than whey. they are natural flour substitutes and bake up really well. Ditto for pancakes. Fantastic.
Thanks choc chilli for all the info I will have a look around with what you have recommended. Thats good to know pea/rice protein is good for cooking as ive started looking into alternate ways on cooking breads, pancakes, cakes etc without having to use dairy.

Bulk Nutrients do very cheap pea and rice proteins. I'm yet to try because I'm not sure about the quality. I've been sticking with my NOW Pea Protein paying through the nose.. (although admittedly, $40-49.95/kg from Muscle Coach is the same price as I was paying for regular protein back in the day).

I'm using the bulk nutrients wpi.
chocolate tastes okay , haven't tried the other flavours yet.

No problems with it in regard to lactose intolerance so far , been using it 3 weeks with 1 - 3 shakes a day most in water, a few (weekends) in lactose free milk.

No problems with it in regard to lactose intolerance so far , been using it 3 weeks with 1 - 3 shakes a day most in water, a few (weekends) in lactose free milk.

wpi has minimal lactose so is usually well tolerated.

just steer clear of wpc and casein which contain lactose.

should be fine.

For some reason I havnt had much luck with WPI even in water or lactose free milk. Its not as bad as the other milk proteins but im just going to avoid dairy for awhile to give my guy a break. The strawberry BN WPI is really nice, I had one of the first batches of choc mint and it wasnt that great but they said they have fixed it.

Ive taken chocchillis advice and placed an order on professional whey for 1kg of pea protein and some of the cacao powder so ill see how it goes.

Bulk Nutrients do very cheap pea and rice proteins. I'm yet to try because I'm not sure about the quality. I've been sticking with my NOW Pea Protein paying through the nose.. (although admittedly, $40-49.95/kg from Muscle Coach is the same price as I was paying for regular protein back in the day).
I noticed that to only $20 for a kilo, very cheap but im like you would be concerned about the quality if its very cheap compared to everyone else. The professional whey was around $35 for a kg, ill let you know how it is once I get it.

Might be the protein itself you have problem with not the lactose.
Do you mean problems digesting protein or do you mean that brand of WPI so I should try something else? At the moment im just going to give all dairy a miss for acouple months and maybe try and see how much I can tolerate later on.

Do you mean problems digesting protein or do you mean that brand of WPI so I should try something else? At the moment im just going to give all dairy a miss for acouple months and maybe try and see how much I can tolerate later on.

possibly an intolerance or allergy to whey. some people are just lactose intolerant so can have lactose free dairy. Others may also or simply have a problem with whey. in that case, avoid the dairy 100%.
a worthwhile test for you to do. if you feel better, stick with it.

Could be either, i dont know alot about you..

Protein maldigestion = bloat ect.

Undigested proteins/peptides + gut mucousa hyperpermiability = peptides entering the body.

No we know protein are what we are allergic to. We know that proteins are messengers. This is all sort of on the verge of new science at the moment in regards to 'evidence' .

But it doesnt take much of a leap to put 2 obvious thins together and realise that it MIGHT be the cause of a problem.

Casein effects autistic kids. Why is it not likley that other peptides effect other people. Its very likely in fact.

Romie

There have been a lot of posts already and I've done my best to quick scan through them. Forgive me if I repeat what someone else has previously said.

I think you put out the call to people who have had digestions issues generally so I will give you a bit of background about myself:
- I found out that I had ulcerative colitis in March/April this year.
- I had been bulking (on the dirty side) for several months before hand and was eating huge portions in South Africa. I was drinking upwards of 1-1.5L/day of whole milk the month before I went to South Africa. Plenty of protein etc, etc.
- I came back from South Africa in March, saw some blood in the stool and went straight to the emergency room to get every test under the sun done (I had pancreatitis in late November 2009 and didn't get every test run, but wasn't take any chances this time).
- Now I take a low dose of some maintenance meds which are intended to keep it under control (time will tell just how well it keeps it under control, so far so good), but I try do as much as I can personally to give the medicine the best possible chance of working (and hopefully not need it at all eventually).

Anyway I basically flared up for about 4-6 weeks and during that time had to really try work out what was causing issues and what wasn't etc etc (lost about 12kg in that time, I probably would have lost more but I pumped glutamine). Everything is going well now thankfully.

You don't seem to have something serious at the moment and it's just lactose intolerance, but I have a few comments/suggestions/tips:

- When issues start popping up, keep a food diary. Don't just eat something one day then exclude it when you have issues that day. In order to truly exclude something from your diet you need to test whether symptoms worsen with the particular food in your diet (over time, not just 1 day) and then whether excluding the food (over time etc) actually decreases symptoms. In saying that, I had a bad afternoon one day when flaring after eating something quite peppery and I haven't touched it in months. However, this highlights the reason for testing it correctly. I could be excluding an entire food group (with its own benefits) for no reason. Thankfully I don't like pepper anyway, so I've got no reason to go back to it :p

- Take glutamine (I believe that everyone should be taking this, period. My body was the weakest it's been in a long long time this year, yet I managed to dodge everyone's colds which they were bringing to work. I attribute it to glutamine. That and the 12kg I lost was more fat then muscle, which was brilliant - free cut haha)

- Chew your food (digestion starts in the mouth).

- Try rice milk (I'm not lactose intolerant, but I haven't reverted to normal milk even though I'm back to 100%. It has quite a bit of calcium from what I can see. Otherwise, my friend was in a similar boat to you getting really really bad pain in his stomach, bloating etc. He switched to the smarter milk (I'll have to double check this) and hasn't had an issue since.)

- When you get back to weights, if you can't have any lactose whatsoever but you like the convenience of protein powders, don't be scared to try Pea Protein. I haven't gone back to regular protein since I got sick and have stuck with NOW's Pea Protein. 28g of protein per scoop, chucked in with a cup of rice milk, honey and cinnamon - it isn't so bad in the end, I actually really like it now (the key being honey!). As an aside, I used to get migraines and haven't really had one since I got sick. I partly attribute it to removing huge amounts of artificial colours, flavourings in all the different gym supps I used to take eg fruit punch flavoured creatine, grape flavoured purple wraath.

- Just remember that heaps of people seem to have issues with food, so it's not worth stressing about. We're built to adapt so you just learn to live with it and work around it.

Anyway feel free to PM me if you want at any stage in the future.
Thanks for your response, I like your point about excluding foods which I havnt started yet. Im giving lactose free diet a go first and than I will figure out what to do next depending on what issues arise. I will look into glutamine as it is apparently good for the guy. Chewing my food is definitely something I need to work on as im used to smashing meals down in minutes because of small tea breaks at work. Pea protein should be here tommorow :)

Ill see how it goes over the next few weeks but things are definitely the best they have been since I can remember.

possibly an intolerance or allergy to whey. some people are just lactose intolerant so can have lactose free dairy. Others may also or simply have a problem with whey. in that case, avoid the dairy 100%.
a worthwhile test for you to do. if you feel better, stick with it.
definitely feel better cutting dairy out. I will have to try lactose free milk later on to see what happens.

Could be either, i dont know alot about you..

Protein maldigestion = bloat ect.

Undigested proteins/peptides + gut mucousa hyperpermiability = peptides entering the body.

No we know protein are what we are allergic to. We know that proteins are messengers. This is all sort of on the verge of new science at the moment in regards to 'evidence' .

But it doesnt take much of a leap to put 2 obvious thins together and realise that it MIGHT be the cause of a problem.

Casein effects autistic kids. Why is it not likley that other peptides effect other people. Its very likely in fact.
Ill have to see how I go after the next few weeks, if im still having problems after cutting all lactose out than ill start to worry. To be honest you lost me after the second line.