• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mixing bumpers and smaller diameter plates - breaking bumpers

jj80

I have two 10kg no-name brand bumper plates I use for deadlifting. They are the only weights that touch the ground when I deadlift and drop ~150kg. As I get stronger and approach 200kg I'm worried I'll break them.

e.g. one half of my barbell looks like:

|
|||||
|||||----------------------
|||||
|

(with the 10kg bumpers on the left)

Anyone had any experience trying to break bumpers like this? I won't be dropping it from an overhead height.

I was considering buying a couple of 25s to give it more support but the last thing I want to do is break some expensive 25s.

I called a shop where I bought them and they said pretty much the same thing. @#$@, it will be cheaper to just buy rubber coated ollies to replace the bumpers and lift off a small padded platform... cannot afford 200kg of bumpers, as much as I'd like some.

I just use those 2dollar seagrass mats from bunnings for my rubber coated oly's with no problems. I lift on tiles too.

Get two 20's or 25's to go with your 10's and use steel plates to make up the rest. They won't get fucked it's not like your doing oly lifts and dropping them from overhead.

My gym uses rubber coated plates (hammer strength) with hundreds of people using them regularly, including deadlifts just on a basic rubber mat.

If they can hold up to that, i'm sure they will do the trick at home.

Over time you will fuck them up. Simply put the weight that is on the bar will actually only be supported by that weight that touches the floor. Putting aside technique bumper plates, a standard bumper plate is only designed to support its own weight, hence the 25kg 20kg 15kg 10kg and 5kg plates are all the same diameter.

You may not break immediately if you start putting on some plates with a shorter diameter, but the lifespan of that bumper will shorten dramatically.

Bumpers are annoyingly retarded and awkward. I now have all metal plates. And unless your doing only lifts they are a waste of $