• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weight loss & maint - moved

peanutz

Lots of people looking...but no one posting in the ladies forum... so lets try that again.

What was YOUR caloric intake pre weight loss, during weight loss and now you are maintaining? Bulkers and hardgainers need not respond (haha).

Caloric Intake beforehand..

Shit... I'm really not sure... It wasn't pretty, lots of high fat, high carb meals with massive servings...

During Weight loss..

I'm trying to get to around the 1500-1800 Calorie mark per day at the moment, have gone as low as 1200 but just couldn't survive on that unsurprisingly

Maintenance - not there yet :)

1500-1800 calories a day.

I never counted calories not up until recently, just kept a mindful eye on my food and made sure to do 45+ minutes cardio everyday and lift 4-5 days a week.

I rekon 4000+ on most days, probly a shit laod more on some, And a little less on others

When lifting/Training/Loosing weight

Have also tired 1500 but nothing budged

Even on 2000 I don’t loose, With me I need to keep active and run run run lift lift lift.

not many people will know before, that's probably why the started calorie restriction - to undo the work of many months/years of un-metered calorie intake.

I'm 6'1" and at the moment 89kg. before weight was 97kg, after weight will hopefully be 82-84kg. I hit 87kg a month ago and was so tired, mentally drained and hormonally whacked out from a few months of calorie deficit that i decided to take a break from strict dieting and calorie counting and just go to maintenance - this didn't work as well as i had hoped and i just put 5kg back on. very frustrating and disappointing so i'm currently back in the "during" phase and re-doing the work i did 3 months ago but without the rookie mistakes...

before: guessing it was about a 3000cal average including the occasional 4000+ day of feasting and a lot of cardio (an average of 10hrs per week on the bike).

during:
2000cal average which over the course of a week is typically ~4days of 1700 (mon->thurs) and 3 days of 2400 (fri->sun). I love a medium breakfast, no lunch and a massive dinner (that's just how i roll) so i'm typically aiming for 600cals at breakfast and 1000cals at dinner then a few liquid snacks along the way (coffee/cocoa + milk, miso soup, etc).

after:
~2300cal average, though this is the hardest part for me - i find it much easier mentally to say to myself that i am trying to lose weight than to maintain. when the rules are lax and i'm not counting cals then it's so much easier for me to line up day after day of 2500+cals without planning, realising or being accountable. also, last time i tried to enter a "maintenance" period, i just added lunch back into my diet but i still had the appetite to eat a 1000calorie dinner every night which meant 2500+cals every day that i had lunch.

one of the biggest things i have learnt is that being satisfied by what you eat is in no way proportional to how much you eat and in most cases it's more to do with what you eat. for me at least, it's like the mentality whereby the last tiny spoonful of dessert is so much more satisfying than the first massive one... I now know that i have trigger foods that only make me hungrier (the first handful of nuts leads to many, many more handfuls of nuts) and that fasting can be so much more satisfying than a poor or disappointing meal.

getting over the mentality that i need to eat a certain amount to be satisfied has been huge.

not many people will know before, that's probably why the started calorie restriction - to undo the work of many months/years of un-metered calorie intake.

I'm 6'1" and at the moment 89kg. before weight was 97kg, after weight will hopefully be 82-84kg. I hit 87kg a month ago and was so tired, mentally drained and hormonally whacked out from a few months of calorie deficit that i decided to take a break from strict dieting and calorie counting and just go to maintenance - this didn't work as well as i had hoped and i just put 5kg back on. very frustrating and disappointing so i'm currently back in the "during" phase and re-doing the work i did 3 months ago but without the rookie mistakes...

before: guessing it was about a 3000cal average including the occasional 4000+ day of feasting and a lot of cardio (an average of 10hrs per week on the bike).

during:
2000cal average which over the course of a week is typically ~4days of 1700 (mon->thurs) and 3 days of 2400 (fri->sun). I love a medium breakfast, no lunch and a massive dinner (that's just how i roll) so i'm typically aiming for 600cals at breakfast and 1000cals at dinner then a few liquid snacks along the way (coffee/cocoa + milk, miso soup, etc).

after:
~2300cal average, though this is the hardest part for me - i find it much easier mentally to say to myself that i am trying to lose weight than to maintain. when the rules are lax and i'm not counting cals then it's so much easier for me to line up day after day of 2500+cals without planning, realising or being accountable. also, last time i tried to enter a "maintenance" period, i just added lunch back into my diet but i still had the appetite to eat a 1000calorie dinner every night which meant 2500+cals every day that i had lunch.

one of the biggest things i have learnt is that being satisfied by what you eat is in no way proportional to how much you eat and in most cases it's more to do with what you eat. for me at least, it's like the mentality whereby the last tiny spoonful of dessert is so much more satisfying than the first massive one... I now know that i have trigger foods that only make me hungrier (the first handful of nuts leads to many, many more handfuls of nuts) and that fasting can be so much more satisfying than a poor or disappointing meal.

getting over the mentality that i need to eat a certain amount to be satisfied has been huge.

89kg - Thats the end weight I'm aiming for. Haven't been below 90kg since I was 18. Weighed 77kg and rather skinny when I left school at 17.
Currently 107kg and 40.

Do you use a food diary ?

i'm a bit the same, i had been somewhere between 95 and 100 for 10 years between finishing HS and now. i hadn't even seen 80-something on the scales because i just blew through it as a teenager and didn't even notice.

food diary: na, i have an epic google spreadsheet. it gives me a bit more freedom in terms of tracking additional information and adding comments to food plus i find that it's a little bit easier/quicker for me to fill in compared to any of the online trackers i've used - copy and pasting common meals, plus adding in new foods seems just that little bit easier.

but yeah, counting calories (for me at least) is an absolute must - without it i think i'm eating ok, but after a few weeks of thinking i'm doing ok i seem to end up a kilo or 2 heavier :\

not counting calories yet.

I'm fine during the week with sticking to eating small amounts and eating reasonably well
but not so good on weekends.

Start using evernote rather than a google spreadhseet

Not sure as a mega fatty but rest assured it was lots.

At 82kg currently, office worker, Train 3-4x a week.

Cut: normally around 2000
Maintain: about 2700
Gain: 3200

yeah, i know what you mean about the weekends. I try not to stress about it too much.

I also low carb and one of the big benefits i find is that i can now spend hours on the bike at moderate intensity without needing much if any "compensation" food - basically, i'm much more efficient at burning fat so primarily that's what i'm burning for the entire ride (rides that could be as long as 5hrs). i have plenty of fat on-board already so i don't need to eat any more to keep me going. by the end of the ride i've burnt a few thousand additional calories that i figure i can use as surplus to my calorie limit.

the only compensation eating i do feel i have to do is an increase in protein intake on workout days, but that's just tweaking my macros to suit...

I know my maintenance level is somewhere around 2,500
lose weight around 2,000 per day, or 2,500 with a lot of cardio.
gain fat & muscle at 3000+

Currently 110Kg (ish, haven't checked in a month), @ 34 years old.

When at my worst (135kg plus), easily 5000 a day.

Not sure before.

Start of cut 3700
Midway to end of cut 4000-4500
Maintained on 5000

Damn farmers. There be a lot of energy expenditure throughout the day for you.

I maintain on about 3500-4200 depending on my activity throughout the day.

Cut 2800-3500.

Don't need to bulk so no idea at moment.

I am 110kg at 6'3 and have a fairly active job and fairly active lifestyle.

Lots of people looking...but no one posting in the ladies forum... so lets try that again.

What was YOUR caloric intake pre weight loss, during weight loss and now you are maintaining? Bulkers and hardgainers need not respond (haha).

Prior to any weight training or transformations or Figure model aspirations, I believe my Calorie intake was up over 2500 everyday. The centre where I worked had a full range of fast food joints and I'd happily eat sweet chilli twister with large fries for lunch, then go back for a nacho roller. All washed down with Pepsi Max. Weekends was fast food again. Always the largest meal because you have to get your monies worth.

During weightloss I went down to 1200 calories. Was a friggin struggle but I had a good PT who taught me about training and nutrition. Plus I met a BB-er at work who studied everything nutrition and BB-ing.

Maintenance for me is about 1600 calories.

I bulked for most of the first half of this year, and I believe I was on 2000 calories for 3-4 days of the week.