• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

protein powder for cutting & adding muscle?

robeel

hey guys,

just started lifting recently & need to up my protein, looking to lose another 10-15kg in fat (have lost 20kg the last 5 months) but would love to add as much muscle as possible.

which protein do i need, wpi, wpc? any casein?

have been using gaspari myofusion, looking for something cheaper that's as good. was going to grab some wpi from BN, is that all i need?

I'm 80kg for now, how many grams of protein do i need daily? is 120g enough?

btw how many grams of protein in 1 egg white, is it 4g?

thanks,
rob

Well done on the weight loss so far!!

Just buy WPI or WPC, does not matter it's all protein, WPI is more pure and contains less carbs and less Lactose than WPC. I personally prefer WPI and buy it from NoBull, tastes great and is generally delivered the next day after placing your order if you order early enough, and you can pay instantly with PayPal.

http://nobullsupplements.com.au/catalog/Whey_Protein_Isolate-2-1.html

As a basic guide it is recommended that you consume at least 2 grams of protein and 0.85 gram of fat per kilogram of body weight daily while training with weights, this is to ensure that enough protein is available for muscle repair and growth. Not getting enough protein can result in muscle wastage and decreased muscle growth.

Monitor your overall calorie intake, reducing intake if you are gaining too much body fat and increasing intake if you are not growing and recovering adequately between workouts. Calorie requirements will vary from individual to individual, depending on your metabolism, body type, activity level and desired goals in your training.

For fat loss, it is easiest to base your daily calorie requirement on 18 to 29 calories per kilo of body weight per day. Start somewhere in the middle and adjust as needed to achieve your goals

1 gram of protein contains 4 calories
1 gram of fat contains 9 calories
1 gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories

100gram of whole egg (don't just eat the white as the yoke contains a lot of the goodness and you need the fat, and forget about the old wife's tale of egg yolks being bad for you, as it assist in the reduction of bad cholesterol in your blood) contains about 12-13 grams of protein, 12grams of fat and only 424 mg (less than half a gram) of cholesterol, while 30 grams of WPI contains about 29 grams of protein.

Last edited:
29 grams of protein in 30g of WPI?!?!

That's like 97% man... Did you mean 27/28g?

(not that two grams REALLY matters).

Like I said, a couple of grams doesn't make much of a difference - I was just curious as to where it might have come from. Never heard of WPI above 95% before.

Thanks Mick, hasn't been easy changing bad habbits & sticking to it(wish i did this 10-15yrs ago, would have been a lot easier), especially with temptation around all the time & sister bringing home junk everyday. was starting to cheat a bit recently but getting into lifting has put me back on track! love seeing the body get some shape back & carving away the fat.

thanks for the help, just ordered 4kg wpi from nobull, will try BN next time.

I've only been having about 80g of protein & about 1400cals daily, i've been losing about 1kg+ a week but need to start packing on some muscle. hopefully upping my protein/calories won't stop the fat loss by too much.

About the whole eggs i'm just worried there's too much calories in the yolk?

going on what you said so i should be having at least 160g of protein & about 1700cals?

shouldn't be too hard, i'm having weet bix w/ honey for breakfast. I'll scrap that & have eggs w/ tuna instead & have a few more serving of wpi.

Hopefully upping my calories gives me some extra strength in the gym & not feel so drained after.

rob

going on what you said so i should be having at least 160g of protein & about 1700cals?

Start with that and see how you go, you will need to monitor progress and then adjust accordingly.

You need the protein to grow muscle!

With the above 160g protein = 640 calories

Fats you need around 68 gram for normal hormonal function which = 612 calories.

That gives you 1250 total, leaving about 448 calories or 112 gram of carbs.

You will never get it perfect, but your body won't know the difference anyway, just do your best to get close and stick to your daily calories.

Adjust up or down as required.

sounds good, hope to see some good gains soon with my diet sorted this week.

is it normal to feel a bit weak, not as strong when lifting & drained after? i'm guessing it's from the low cals/carbs?

1 gram of protein per pound of body weight........ as for protein powder, you should only use is it in moderation, as your body will benefit way more from real food-aka tuna and chicken.