• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help needed - training plan with injury

peanutz

Hi All,

As a lot of you know, I recently had surgery on my right wrist and can't do any weight bearing, weight lifting or major flex movements for 6-8 weeks. This puts most machines and free weights out of action.

My plan is to swim once a week and gym 3 times a week. Can't do leg press forever...so what do you suggest? Can't barbell squat either due to the hand position when holding the bar.

Given this limitation, what do you suggest in terms of a training plan? I'm doing some rehab and hydro therapy and hope that i will be given the all clear to resume as normal in a couple of months time.

You could do bodyweight exercises like squats with a weight vest on which would allow you to get to 30KG's of added weight... a dip belt with suspended weight could add more, but this still limits you to the lower body...

ooh the weight vest is a good idea actually...i'll suss out if the gym has one, otherwise i might ask my old trainer if i can borrow his...

if you train the healthy side unilaterally then you will maintain more strength then if you did not. A funny nervous system trick, one side won't really get much stronger than the other unless you really pushed it for years

Also you should still be able to squat high bar. The wrists are not even loaded. I seen videos of people squatting no hands all the time lol. Obviously you'd still hold onto the bar but if your form is right then there will be no wrist loading. Even low bar for me the wrists are not bent or loaded all they are doing is pulling on the bar just enough to keep my upper back tight which is very little pressure

nah anything involving grip is out. i can't hold a pen properly at the moment and I'm not willing to risk permanent damage.

training the other side...i'll give that a burl actually!

blast those legs!

How about front squats ? you don't need to use your wrists to hold the bar
Machine squats ? If no other option

or squat jumps/jump squats add a weight belt for added fun

lunges with a weight belt ?