• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Opinions on the cycle diet or in other words (super compensation diet)

mate i see nothing wrong with your diet, altough i dont know your maco intake required.

End of the day, If you spent more time training and eating then worrying about the next diet gimik to pop up, We'd all be bigger then arni.

mate i see nothing wrong with your diet, altough i dont know your maco intake required.

End of the day, If you spent more time training and eating then worrying about the next diet gimik to pop up, We'd all be bigger then arni.

This is why i have hired a coach..... to intruct a diet and training program for me which provides the best results... and this is the diet he has put me on.

I just wanted to share this diet idea cause it has fascinated me, and i think is a million times better then bulking followed by cutting cycles *YO YO DIETING*

I myself do not know my Macro intake either, My coach has just given me a diet and said follow it exactly as i put it.

Diet and macros were made from the information i gave him *picture of myself, weight, height, age and so on.

Last edited:
should have hired Kevin..
just sayin'

agreed.

Re Leptin
The concept of the benefits of a “Spike Day” centers around the notion that leptin is a key hormone in bodyweight regulation, and that leptin decreases in response to dieting, which causes our weight loss to slow down. Thus, by having a day of overfeeding, the thinking goes, we can bring leptin back up to baseline, thereby “side stepping” the decrease in leptin that hinders our fat loss efforts.

The problem with this logic is that it misses a key part of the puzzle. First, a little background.
Without getting too technical here, Leptin is the hormone that is in charge of bodyweight regulation. When calories go up, stored bodyfat goes up, Leptin goes up. The result is you feel less hungry, metabolism goes up, etc. Essentially leptin tells the body that it is “well fed.” (So why do people get obese? Chronically elevated leptin = leptin resistance = leptin can’t do it’s job. Sucks, huh?) When calories go down, leptin drops, and you feel more hungry, and you want to eat more, metabolic slow down, etc. Basically, what’s going on here is that your body “fights against” weight loss, and one of the tools that’s used is leptin. (we all wish it fought just as hard against weight gain).

^^^Again, keep in mind, this is terribly oversimplified for the purposes of background info^^^

So then, along comes the Spike Day. By overfeeding once per week, they claim, you raise leptin, so you’re not dealing with the metabolic slowdown and other things that come along with a drop in leptin. Not so fast.

As I mentioned earlier, this is missing a key part of the puzzle. *Drum roll* Leptin basically rises and falls as soon as calories go up and down. The research has shown that it only takes about 24 hours for leptin to response to a calorie deficit or surplus:

Twenty-Four-Hour Leptin Levels Respond to Cumulative Short-Term Energy Imbalance and Predict Subsequent Intake
Responses of leptin to short-term fasting and refee... [Diabetes. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

What I’m saying here is that the Spike Diet has it only half right. Leptin does increase and decrease in response to calorie intake, but it responds rapidly. So raising it for 24 hours won’t do squat. As soon as your reefed is over, it goes right back down to where it was.

I do believe that a “cheat day” has other benefits, however, for most folks, the benefits are purely psychological. I’m not diminishing the importance of psychological tolerance of a diet, I’m simply saying that physiological arguments for the Spike Day don’t hold water; if you want to do a Spike Day because you enjoy it and it “works for you,” by all means, have at it.

One final note on Leptin. What I wrote above may beg the question “so how does anybody lose weight?” Or, you might say “see, I told you starvation mode was real!” When I talk about your body fighting against weight loss, you body can only fight so hard. You can always overcome it by eating a little less/moving a little more when weight loss slows.

Finally, like a Baptist Preacher, I’m going to conclude for a third time. There is something to the notion of taking break from your diet to regulate metabolism, etc. This is best accomplished by a week (or two) long “diet break” where calories are raised to maintenance level.

agreed.

Re Leptin

I will post this in the abel forums and see what many of the experts think of this claim.

On another note scott has trained tons of champions, one of which was trying to get down to 198 *i think* for light heavy weight and he had plateud at 205 for 2 weeks so scott made him have a few spike days, the guy ended up at 220 pounds, a couple days later just before compeititon weigh in, he stepped on the scale and weighed 197 and stayed there.

Some people may need 2 cheat days if 1 isnt enough.

agreed.

Re Leptin

A reply by one of scotts clients on the cycle diet, to your post about leptin.

Again, keep in mind, this is terribly oversimplified for the purposes of background info" - this was the part that should have quickly made you recant your notion to lecture.

I'm not sure how much about you understand about metabolic function within the body that is associated with weight-loss/regulation, but your presentation is severely myopic in terms of key bio-chemical processes 'known' to inter-play with weight regulation (both lean and fat-mass). Enzymatic, endocrinal systems and specifically synergistic function are inordinately complex - and this is just the theory. This is clear by the fact that a large section of the 'knowledge base' on pubmed and the like are dedicated to studying said systems in this context in order to explicate - and then even findings need to be examined. To think you can pinpoint this (implications of CD) to one hormone (leptin )is ridiculous and shows a large lacking in even very basic bio-chemical function within the human body. Seriously - spiking calories for 24 hours 'wont do squat'?! - go do a basic bio-chem course and spend a few months learning the names of enzymes, hormones and various other components of the body that get excited and start to do their thing in a 24 hr spike. And then spend a few months talking to ppl who know their shiz about how to try and put that into context in order to get some kind of intelligent scenario. Also, do a basic course in research methods if you want to spruke pubmed and research articles.

Having said that, I'm sure Scott has many clients on the Cycle diet that have interests other than the biochemical mechanisms at play (and trying to be uniquely digitally intelligent) and I'm sure they can attest to the fact that the refeed day is anything but 'purely psychological'. - I myself am one of them. In fact I would say it's more the other way around in that it's primarily a physiological effect. Your assertion here again shows that you are not getting the CD and it's primary purpose at all.

Im also a bit unsure of your understanding of 'concluding' but it's dichotomous with mine I would say. But 'concluding' that raising calories to maintnance level is best leaves so much out, not in the least context, that there are not any real intelligent grounds on which to argue it (which is probably same same for preceding 'arguments'). Bottom line is that it definitely works and there is a plethera of Scott's clients to show that which supercedes any feeble attempt to 'technically' deconstruct and grossly over-simplify its workings. j

ps 'Again, keep in mind, this is terribly oversimplified for the purposes of background info' = terribly over simplified for the purposes of suiting an inordinately myopic argument that ive created which i'll choose to believe simply because I can understand it and that makes me feel better'. - seriously I beleive that's why so many ppl go around propagating inanely over-simplified and reduced nutritional-myths they have heard - simply because they can understand the misnomer (which they can only because it is over-simplified and takes only 3 seconds on google to master). Not the best premise on which to grow your intelligence

Go ahead & eat at a deficit for 6 days a week & then have you're 15000cal day and tell us all how that goes then. I'm sure you'll be getting shredded & massive at exactly the same time.

That was not an explanation but someone trying to sound smart discrediting someone else without providing any evidence besides anecdotal.

Like ive said, at the end of the day it works. When models hit plateus they decrease there calories even more, what happens down the track? metabolic damage.

Spiking the calories is healthy, and it will put you back on track to losing more weight.

Bottom line the cycle diet works.