• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Opinions on the cycle diet or in other words (super compensation diet)

pumpiniron

Invented by Scott Abel.

Scott abel says the cycle diet is much better and provides faster results then the Bulking up/cutting cycles people do year round.

This is how it is done.

You eat in a calorie deficit until you get very lean.

Then for 6 days a week you continue eating in a calorie deficit ( around 500 calories under maintenance) ..... then once a week you have a cheat day *re feed day/spike day*........... people claim to have around 10,000 to 15,000 calories in that re feed day, this is suppose to re fuel the muscles and increase leptin hormone.

Basically its a way of building muscle and staying lean all year long.

Ive downloaded his video on his website Scott Abel Coaching Inc*::*All*::*SCIENCE BEHIND THE CYCLE DIET (DOWNLOADABLE VIDEO)

He explains how and why it works........ and why bulking/cutting cycles are rubbish compared to the cycle diet. It was a very interesting watch.

Yer mate, im currently being coached by scott abel online. Im leaning out at the moment until im ready to start the cycle diet.... not sure how long it will take tho until im ready.

I don't have much to add on it, but definitely interested to see how you go.

Personally I'm probably not going to give something like this a go until I've seen the results elsewhere. So you can be the guinea pig :)

But if successful will definitely consider it. I'm bulking for the first time ever, and coming from a very skinny and lean base, I'm hating what it does to my stomach! Nearly enough to turn me off bulking altogether.

I don't have much to add on it, but definitely interested to see how you go.

Personally I'm probably not going to give something like this a go until I've seen the results elsewhere. So you can be the guinea pig :)

But if successful will definitely consider it. I'm bulking for the first time ever, and coming from a very skinny and lean base, I'm hating what it does to my stomach! Nearly enough to turn me off bulking altogether.

Mate he has all of his clients on this diet, and Scott abel himself has been on it for the last 15 years. If you buy the video (only 20 bucks,well worth the money) you will understand why it works and why its better then bulking/cutting cycles.... also he explains alot of usefull information on diet. The man is a walking knowledge bomb ready to explode.

However you have to bulk up first then lean down to start it.(dont think you can start of skinny)

Have a look at some of his clients on his website there all ripped to the shithouse and reasonably big.

Scott Abel Personal Fitness Coaching, One Time Diet & Custom Workout Programs - Scott Abel

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with bulking/cutting cycles, as most people think this is the only way to go. I guess this is a whole different way about going about a bodybuilding diet...

say yours cals are 4000, You eat 500 under 6 days a week. then on the 7th day you eat the 15000

Over the one week or even 2 week period what would be the differnace in splitting that 15000 cals over the full 7 days? wich end up being an 2142 cals extra each day.

Whats so dam magical about eating them all in one day?

surely if you wnated to stay lean all year round you would just get lean in the first place, Then eat at maintanicne or a bit over and LIFT LIFT LIFT.

If something sounds to good to be true, 99% of the time it is.

say yours cals are 4000, You eat 500 under 6 days a week. then on the 7th day you eat the 15000

Over the one week or even 2 week period what would be the differnace in splitting that 15000 cals over the full 7 days? wich end up being an 2142 cals extra each day.

surely if you wnated to stay lean all year round you would just get lean in the first place, Then eat at maintanicne or a bit over and LIFT LIFT LIFT.

Strikes me as not really making sense, as it deprives you body of materials during an extended period of time that could be used to build muscle and then gives you a load of calories faster than they can be used to add muscle...

I'm pretty sure that given my experience with a range of eating plans, this wouldn't work for me as an endomorphic type person.

id rather split them over the week and eat like a dam king all day, then like a porper 6 days and binging one day day.

Many types of diets like this e.g. Lyle's UD2, Spike diet.

Total cals/macros over time is what matters most and some people love to have a mega "cheat" day. The diet that someone can adhere to for long term is the one that will be most successful.

Im not gonna debate anything.......... Looking at all of Scott abels clients -is living proof that the cycle diet works. And his video *the truth behind the cycle diet* explains why it works and why its better then bulking/cutting cycles.

Total cals/macros over time is what matters most and some people love to have a mega "cheat" day. The diet that someone can adhere to for long term is the one that will be most successful.

this is the thing. in the last 6 months i've stumbled upon my successful dieting formula - i like fasting. i like fewer, larger meals. i'm carb sensitive and i can live without them. it's a diet i can stick to unlike all those that came before it and so it works.

i can see the appeal of the OP's diet though and i think so long as the macros and totals are right then i see no reason why the OP would not be successful.

Im not gonna debate anything.......... Looking at all of Scott abels clients -is living proof that the cycle diet works. And his video *the truth behind the cycle diet* explains why it works and why its better then bulking/cutting cycles.

how much did you say it was again? Can I just pay you directly?

Whats do magical is............... well he explains in that day where you have around 15,000 calories, it has a massive anabolic affect on the body.

I haven't watched the video, but am assuming the slight deficit gets your body in a position where it is not expecting a surplus of food so it is trained to hang on to what it can. Then the surplus comes but your body is still in that mode, where you kind of sneak through the extra calories.

The benefit potentially being that your body has burnt fat/avoided putting on fat during the 6 days - as long as this "saving" is not offset by "lost" opportunity to put on lean mass. I guess whatever gives you the best net benefit depending on your goals. I like the appeal of putting on lean mass, even if slightly slower, if I can keep away tub. But I'm too lean to give this a try right now. Do you have a log pumpiniron? I'd be keen to see your progress.

Looked at a ketosis based diet (eat fats to not put on fat) and it does some similar type tricking of the body, training your body and metabolism to target burning fats for energy in place of carbs and protein.

How many people here think they can actually eat 10k of calories let alone 15k?

It can be done, scott abel says if you cant eat near that, then obviouslly you arent in the state *ready for the cycle diet*

One of his clients wrote a list of things he had for a spike day

it went something like

breakfast. 2 bacon and egg mcmuffins, 2 litres of chocolate icecream covered in M&ms and chocolate topping

Lunch: Large meatlovers pizza, and a heap of doughnuts

Afternoon. Noodles, chocolate cake,

late evening, family pie, bag of popcorn drenched in butter.

Tea: large pizza and a heap of icream drenced in M&ms and chocolate topping.