• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Opinions on the cycle diet or in other words (super compensation diet)

Looked at a ketosis based diet (eat fats to not put on fat) and it does some similar type tricking of the body, training your body and metabolism to target burning fats for energy in place of carbs and protein.[/QUOTE]

I did the keto diet at the start of the year and lost like 15 kilos in 5 months, ive heard people only use it for cutting and not bulking.

Nah mate, i dont have a log at the moment, altho i plan on making one soon. Like i said its gonna take me a while tho until im even ready to start the cycle diet and good progress from there will take some time.... as is the case with any diet.

Last edited:
I haven't watched the video, but am assuming the slight deficit gets your body in a position where it is not expecting a surplus of food so it is trained to hang on to what it can. Then the surplus comes but your body is still in that mode, where you kind of sneak through the extra calories.

The benefit potentially being that your body has burnt fat/avoided putting on fat during the 6 days - as long as this "saving" is not offset by "lost" opportunity to put on lean mass. I guess whatever gives you the best net benefit depending on your goals. I like the appeal of putting on lean mass, even if slightly slower, if I can keep away tub. But I'm too lean to give this a try right now. Do you have a log pumpiniron? I'd be keen to see your progress.

Looked at a ketosis based diet (eat fats to not put on fat) and it does some similar type tricking of the body, training your body and metabolism to target burning fats for energy in place of carbs and protein.

That's a big no to all your explanations.

I believe Lyle McDonald recommends keeping fats low on refeed days. Try eating 15000cals with less than 50g of fat.

Doesnt matter what you eat on re feed day, eat as much as you can of watever you can.

Not neccessarily a safe idea... i think my maximum calorie day i'm aware of was probably over 25K calories...

Breakfast : 3 large Bowls of toasted museli and yoghurt

Lunch : Whole Vienna loaf, 300gm ham, 200gm tasty cheese, 500gm pasta salad

Afternoon tea : whole packet of crackers with camembert cheese

Dinner : 2 Large Pizzas, 2 garlic breads

Snacks

2x Kingsize blocks of whittakers chocolate
Large Doritos
kraft french onion dip
300gm bag of pascal jubes
Large bag of peanut M&M's
250gm mixed salted nuts
200gm salami

Drinks

2L+ coca cola
4 cans red bull

I'm sure i remember having a packet of crumpets and a few other extras as well that day.

I may have even had bigger days, but that one comes to mind clearly....

Last edited:
That's a big no to all your explanations.

Ok. But first up:

... I haven't watched the video, but am assuming ...

So I am not saying I'm right as was just throwing an option out there, but rather than saying I'm wrong, care to correct me? I am quite interested in learning about this sort of stuff is all.

My first take on the diet is that by depleting glycogen stores over the 6 days, our bodies adjust by getting more efficient at creating and storing glycogen for the deficit it expects to come - which you take advantage of on the big day, as your body gobbles it all up? Or does it work some other way? Pumpiniron, you've watched the video, how would you summarise the mechanism Scott Abel talks about?

Looked at a ketosis based diet (eat fats to not put on fat) and it does some similar type tricking of the body, training your body and metabolism to target burning fats for energy in place of carbs and protein.

And am actually really interested on the keto front if I've got it wrong in my own mind. AFAIK a keto diet is to force your body to get and stay in a glycogen deprived state (like the supercompensation diet?), and maintain a mild state of ketosis, thereby burning fats for energy. No?

Many types of diets like this e.g. Lyle's UD2, Spike diet.

Total cals/macros over time is what matters most and some people love to have a mega "cheat" day. The diet that someone can adhere to for long term is the one that will be most successful.
This. /thread

Not neccessarily a safe idea... i think my maximum calorie day i'm aware of was probably over 25K calories...

Breakfast : 3 large Bowls of toasted museli and yoghurt

Lunch : Whole Vienna loaf, 300gm ham, 200gm tasty cheese, 500gm pasta salad

Afternoon tea : whole packet of crackers with camembert cheese

Dinner : 2 Large Pizzas, 2 garlic breads

Snacks

2x Kingsize blocks of whittakers chocolate
Large Doritos
kraft french onion dip
300gm bag of pascal jubes
Large bag of peanut M&M's
250gm mixed salted nuts
200gm salami

Drinks

2L+ coca cola
4 cans red bull

I'm sure i remember having a packet of crumpets and a few other extras as well that day.

I may have even had bigger days, but that one comes to mind clearly....

At a quick look that doesn't look even close to 25000 calories.

ZOMG....

Thread fail /10

JZ nailed it in the first post...

Also the carb refeed is used in Keto to

1. Upregulate hormonal and thyroid activity (leptin)

2. To refuel glycogen levels

3. Give a break in the diet to make it more bearable...

They are the main reasons its used in keto...

At a quick look that doesn't look even close to 25000 calories.

Online calorie calculators give me approx 350 a slice for meatlovers pizza, thats 5.5K for two pizzas, around 1K each for garlic breads... thats 7.5K for dinner alone...

Chocolate is around 1K per block, ... 1K for jubes,
there was about 500gms of cheese in there as well... Salami is pretty high cal..

A quick check shows it easily breaks 20K

and its not really a struggle to eat that much food if you don't care what you're eating....

Eating 15K of 'healthy' food on the other hand... would really be a struggle.

Ok. But first up:

So I am not saying I'm right as was just throwing an option out there, but rather than saying I'm wrong, care to correct me? I am quite interested in learning about this sort of stuff is all.

My first take on the diet is that by depleting glycogen stores over the 6 days, our bodies adjust by getting more efficient at creating and storing glycogen for the deficit it expects to come - which you take advantage of on the big day, as your body gobbles it all up? Or does it work some other way? Pumpiniron, you've watched the video, how would you summarise the mechanism Scott Abel talks about?

Quick summary, basically you get in a super compensation state ( when you get really lean) scott abel accesses his clients when he thinks there in super compensation state............ Then you add the 1 cheat day a week, eat as much of anything you can- chocolate cake, pizzas watever.

All the calories will go to re fuel glycogen stores, refueling ur muscles and everything else *putting you in a massive anabolic mode* you will gain a heap of weight in that day and a few days later your weight will return near or a few pounds before the cheat day............. If your weight doesnt return that means you werent ready *not in super compensation state*

Last edited:
Ok. But first up:

Quick summary, basically you get in a super compensation state ( when you get really lean) scott abel accesses his clients when he thinks there in super compensation state............ Then you add the 1 cheat day a week, eat as much of anything you can- chocolate cake, pizzas watever.

All the calories will go to re fuel glycogen stores, refueling ur muscles and everything else *putting you in a massive anabolic mode* you will gain a heap of weight in that day and a few days later your weight will return near or a few pounds before the cheat day............. If your weight doesnt return that means you werent ready *not in super compensation state*

Yikes... Broscience is strong here...

I assume its a keto diet based on the fact that your depleting glycogen...

In that case I would suggest reading some of Lyle Mcdonalds stuff as he is the master of all things Keto... Not saying he is the only one who knows Keto... Rather that he does it without all the Broscience...

Might duck off and have a look at Scott Abel for lolz...

Care to share what the dieting protocols are????

Is it Keto with a carb refeed????

Checked his site.. Not a fan...

What is the Scott Abel Coaching Inc. Cycle Diet?
The Scott Abel Cycle Diet is known by many other names, mainly the Supercompensation Diet, and the "Have your cake and eat it too" diet, as some of Scott's clients call it. What it boils down to is that Scott trains the metabolism to be a Fat Burning Machine. Once that is accomplished, Scott introduces regular Cheat Days and Cheat meals; the sole purpose of which is to keep metabolism revving, and encourage the body to get even leaner and stronger. To read testimonials from clients who follow this wonderful diet of regular cheating, just go the Scott's Testimonials page and look it up. It's no lie. Few, if any, other experts have developed a diet where regular cheating is advocated in order to serve the body and promote a leaner, stronger physique. If you wish to know some of the
science behind the Cycle Diet you can order the DVD of Scott's last SWIS SEMINAR appearance on the subject, through his website.

Scott does not claim this diet is for everyone, but those that are on it, including his wife Annie, think it is the easiest diet in the world to follow since there are always regular breaks from the controlled eating regimen. And when Scott says Cheat Meal or Cheat Day, it is not some diet scam where you find out that it means only certain foods. On the Cycle Diet, when cheating is allowed it is anything you want, and in any quantity you want. The Cycle Diet, again, just illustrates Scott's level of expertise and creativity when compared to most other experts.

Brosef kind of da brocean....

Yikes... Broscience is strong here...

I assume its a keto diet based on the fact that your depleting glycogen...

In that case I would suggest reading some of Lyle Mcdonalds stuff as he is the master of all things Keto... Not saying he is the only one who knows Keto... Rather that he does it without all the Broscience...

Might duck off and have a look at Scott Abel for lolz...

No mate, its not a keto diet. Im getting ready for the cycle diet and im currently eating around 500 cals under maintenance. rice,oats, tuna,chicken, eggwhites, broccoli main food sources

Care to share what the dieting protocols are????

Is it Keto with a carb refeed????

Checked his site.. Not a fan...

Brosef kind of da brocean....

Fair enough mate, I dont know about you tho.. but i would love to be ripped to the shithouse and continue to stay lean and still make muscle gains and get to eat watever i want every now and again.