• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Open top vs closed racks

martz

Hai guys, I'm in Brisbane and want a rack (apart from the one on my missus :p). As far as I know there is nothing of decent quality up here so after hearing all the good reviews about Gym Direct, I'll make my purchase from them. So I'm 5"10 which probably won't matter much but which of the following 2 racks should I buy. I've just started training about 3 months ago and don't know much about gym equipment hence the question but what I do know is that money is not an issue and don't mind paying top dollar for quality and something that will last.

7 Gauge Commercial Olympic Heavy Duty Multi Power Rack

or

HPRSP Commercial Power Rack

Is space an issue? The HPRSP is a big rack, and both will require space outside of the rack to allow for deadlifting (due to the brace bars at the bottom).

There is an HPRSP rack at PTC Syd, and I like the construction - very sturdy. I do not use it because the J hooks are ridiculously high and it annoys the shit out of me though. If you purchase one I'd recommend getting them grinded/cut down.

I had a quick look on my phone but don't have any real good photo's of the space. I want to put the rack outside in the outdoor entertainment area so ceiling height shouldn't be an issue. Best photo's I found on my phone at the moment:

where the toys are in this photo is about where I will put it (bottom left hand corner) and yes that is a chair in the pool :) :
photo3-1.jpg

from a different angle, it will basically replace the 2 seater cane chair that is behind the window:
photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

those with kids, have you experienced any issues with them harming themselves on the equipment? I have a 2 and 3 year old. I plan on putting the bench away, barbell and safety/spotting bars high up etc..

No kids myself, but my nephew likes to swing on the bars so I'll keep them up high when not in use.

I prefer my racks with an open top. It allows more freedom of movement, it also can allow for different activities.

A rack with an open top can be a little less supported, and could suffer from excess movement, sometimes the extra movement is nice to watch. I have however seen some excellant quality racks with open tops and I was very impressed with how firm and well set out they were.

There are heaps of pics of both racks with both open and closed tops in "Hot or not" thread ;)

Edit: To the Op. An open top rack in, and around that poolside environment would be close to perfect..

Last edited:
A rack will destroy the usability of that area. They are pretty big, the misses may nit be impressed

Open or closed they do the same thing

Open tend to be way more expensive due to the heavier guage steel

Height is the killer with most racks, remember you will need 30-50cm above the rack of you want to do chins.

The iron edge assault rack is a half rack, but really is _very_ solid, the half rack may be a bit less space consuming.

(Once i sort out my space issues, i'll be getting one myself, or a matrix if i could justify bolting it to the floor)

Assault Rack Deluxe - Iron Edge

Pricy for what it is, but excellent quality.

A rack will destroy the usability of that area. They are pretty big, the misses may nit be impressed

This +1

Your gonna fuck up your whole outdoor entertaining area, the missus will gut you. Those commercial racks are BIG. I have been married long enough to know that she might be telling you it's fine to put a gym setup there but in reality it won't be five minutes before she is pissing and moaning about how ugly it is, how big it is, how dangerous it is for the kids etc etc.

Is the garage an option? Otherwise build a shed or leanto out the back.

we don't really use the area and neither do the kids as they play mostly on the lawn, so I don't think having the rack there will be too much of an issue. It might look ugly but my wife has said that she'll support me either way as she's really happy to see me take up on a healthy hobby for a change :) If it does suck out there then I might have to make room in the garage for it. Having it in the garage will wake up the kids for sure though :(

ahh first world problems :p

I second the Iron Edge Assault Rack. I own it and it would survive a nuclear bomb it is that solid. A great bit of kit and not big at all!

I second the Iron Edge Assault Rack. I own it and it would survive a nuclear bomb it is that solid. A great bit of kit and not big at all!

It certainly is a good looking rack.

For $450, the welded squat stands are safer and certainly are the way to go for the squat fan IMO.