• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The issues surrounding weight in modern society (and historically) are varied and complex.
it seems to me that this kind of thing is about people taking a stand without fully understanding the position they are taking or the over simplification they are making by doing so.

Ignorance is a wonderful thing :cool:

That said, I have a great deal of empathy for overweight/obese people who are understandably upset, angry or distressed by the attitudes toward them in society. I'm not surprised there are people hitting back to protect themselves.
I recall being teased when I was a kid for being fat, chubby and being made to feel as though I was sub-human - and I was just chubby. I wasn't as fat as the overweight kids you see all too often today. But I understand the pain of being treated unkindly.

it's also too easy for the non-overweight to be judgemental and the weightloss industry is tantamount to criminal in its exploitation of people struggling with weight and health.

I'm saddened by seeing these kinds of reports, frankly. It does nothing to solve the problem and may only lead to more ridicule and no education.

typical , it's everyone else that is the problem

most of this crap stems from people taking a stand against the magazines with photoshopped stick figure models . being a bit overweight isn't of a big concern , but when you start pushing the figures to fucking huge it's time to stand back and take a good look

really if people stopped reading the latest fad diets , and just concentrated what we were taught in school in home eco about the five food groups and a balanced diet , and having foods in moderaion we all would be a lot better off

Well said Viv. I agree.

But fuck me it's irritating when these people say they're 'healthy' & 'happy' being super huge.

Its all a fucking facade imo, to cope & give themselves some sense of validity for being & remaining who they've become.

The easiest thing to do in life, in any situation, is nothing.

So I guess they have to try to justify the fact they're doing nothing?

I have empathy too, I was there once, not that long ago. But fuck me, one foot in front of the other, one day at a time people.

Not everyone has to be skinny. Thats not the point. Plenty of skinny people are incredibly unhealthy.

But being that big, cannot be healthy either. The damage the extra weight is doing can take some time to manifest, but manifest, it will....eventually.

Hating them, ridiculing them, trying to crush their self esteem further will not help them. They need to help themselves.

It does amuse me though, how often the 'former fatties' are the harshest critics of these people? Not everyone has the conviction to turn their life on its arse & make a change. But everyone does have the ability. Something has just got to click, for them to know they're worth it.

I know plenty of normal sized or thin people that are the unhealthiest mofo's on earth too. They're not doing themselves any favours either.

If you're more than 10kg above the 'ideal' weight as indexed, you're officially 'overweight'. I'd venture to say thats a large majority of people on this forum tbh.

Onwards & upwards. Its all you bro. Its about getting healthy. Not skinny. And that goes for everyone, not just the very visibly overweight or fat.

But I do wish some of the overweight & obese people of the world could understand that a little better than they currently do...gahhh

Last edited:
I agree but I also think the weightloss industry, and to some extent, the "faux fitness" industry seriously exploits these people.

Yes, the easiest thing is to give up and do nothing, but some people who are at that stage have tried many things and not succeeded. Mainly because they aren't designed to succeed, as we all know. The weightloss industry thrives on people yo-yo-ing their weight for repeat business.

I really hate shows like Biggest Loser. I find it seriously disrespectful and humiliating to the contestants. Plus it's dangerous and makes false promises.

Ultimately, it's not common for people to have the drive and determination that some of us here have. If one is self-motivated and makes a commitment to consistently and systematically make a change to their health and/or size, that's great. But it takes more work and conviction, I suspect, than many people feel ready to give it. I don't think it's usually because they don't want to, I think it's often because they just don't know what to do and are confused by the over-abundance of misinformation they are fed by 'credible" sources.

I agree with Bella about the health thing too...plenty of skinny people who are unhealthy, and in the same boat. But they generally don't get vilified for it. Quite the contrary. I know this because I've been at that extreme too.

If only common sense were more common, hey? :)

you girls seem to be over-anaylzing it,

Shes an obese motherfucker and should be thrown in a heated pit and cooked to be fed to starving people in africa/asia.

Lets face it, shes not going to get any skinnier if shes proud of herself .

But for dropping the weight its the little things that can make the big difference.
In my case most of the first 15kg , was by switching from large strong mochas to black coffee(regular).

I'm down 24kg since August 2011.Aiming to be down 40 kg by christmas.
And in a lot of cases it is about getting rid of the weight to get into the healthy weight range.

supposedly around 54% of Aussie adults are overweight or obese - 7.4 million

"Overweight or obese men and women are increasingly likely to see themselves as having an acceptable weight. On an age standardised basis, the proportion of overweight or obese adults who perceived themselves as having an acceptable weight increased from 37% in 1995, to 41% in 2001, and 44% in 2004-05."

proportion of overweight men increased from 47% to 66%

4719.0 - Overweight and Obesity in Adults, Australia, 2004-05
Overweight and obesity (AIHW)

Obesity in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
abs4.jpg

Always some nutters in the world. It's just as bad as anorexics getting the thumbs up. On another note I like how Biggest Loser contestants lose a few ton's by getting their food prepared, routines enforced, a cash grand prize on top of other things and the world suddenly thinks they'll make great PTs?

This is relevant to my interests. :p

Fat people who are fine with it need to have their heads checked. Those who aren't, just need to get off their enormous damn arses and do something about it. Yes, it is that simple.

"Fat studies". Bwa ha ha - yeah, it's called "nutrition". Christ as a popsicle...

Fat pride. Totally irresponsible.

There are two seperates parts of this. Being happy in our own skin is the overall point I guess. I totally agree and respect this but there is a big but...

People hould be happy in their own skin but should not put heir heads in the sand. Two of the biggest health issues in Aus are directly linked to obesity. Diabetes and heart disease. It is possible to literally eat yourself to death and this is not something to be proud of... Obesity should not be avoided because of vanity, it should be avoided because of health.

At the end of the day individuals are responsible for their own choices. The whole "society is to blame"is a cop-out. I have great respect for those who have got to the precipice, peered over the edge and realised that they need to take control of their own destiny instead of making excuses.

Bella, it sounds like you have been there. Good on you for taking stock and making changes. Fark fat pride.

Shes an obese motherfucker and should be thrown in a heated pit and cooked to be fed to starving people in africa/asia.

That's cruel...:(
Once all the fat has melted off, there will only be bone left.
Almost the same as giving them an empty pizza box filled with sand.

Be fAt be skinny be a smoker drinker drug addict what ever,

BUT you need to pay your way and any extra costs that your life choices demand.
For the overweight this should include, healthcare, clothes, transport injuries to others.

She may be comfortable with how fat she is but she is definitely not a good role model. This is a lazy person justifying the way she is, which is OK, but don't make out it's anything more than a unhealthy lifestyle. And to say they need protection is ludicrous, if she wants protection from scrutiny she should begin a healthier lifestyle.