• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Supplemental Exercises after Compound - progress only in the compound?

jj80

Is it common to only progress in compound movements if you have a program that follows them with supplemental?

e.g. For chin ups I've progressed from 9 to 13, but I'm still only curling 45kgs for reps of 6 AFTER the chin ups. I assume because my biceps are stuffed after chins (they certainly feel like it). I don't know what I could curl before chin ups, but it's safe to assume a lot more. I wonder whether I even need the curls.

Tricep extensions are another matter for me, I've progressed well in those doing them after my bench press work.

Is it common to only progress in compound movements if you have a program that follows them with supplemental?

e.g. For chin ups I've progressed from 9 to 13, but I'm still only curling 45kgs for reps of 6 AFTER the chin ups. I assume because my biceps are stuffed after chins (they certainly feel like it). I don't know what I could curl before chin ups, but it's safe to assume a lot more. I wonder whether I even need the curls.

Tricep extensions are another matter for me, I've progressed well in those doing them after my bench press work.

It's a good question.
Your arms are doing a lot of work and fatigue long before the back and in this case the lat's fatigue to a great degree.

I did chins for the first time the other day and could hardly curl a 20KG dumbbell afterwards, which normally i'd use to warm up.

A chest supported rowing movement is a very efficiant back builder, do them directly after chin-ups.

Leave the curls to the end of the workout.

If all you did when you trained was squat, bench and dead your numbers would improve, yes. But you get to a point where you need to work on imbalances , weaknesses and target areas for extra strength - that's where assistance comes in.

Now if you went training, did the 3 main lifts and followed them up with a range of assistance, your lifts should improve better than if you didn't.

On your query about curling... who cares? lol What can you squat? Thats the question.

... I am joking so dont take offense to my "curling" joke!!

Last edited:

To me it looks as though you have progressed. Your able to do more chinups and your able to curl the same weight for the same weight after having done more chinups.

Id say you would certainly be able to do more curls before the chinups, but then youd likely to less chinups.

Dont overthink it, you are definately progressing, keep doing curls.

You guys have some strong curl numbers.

*feels flattered*

*realises you think I mean with a dumbbell*

shit :(

Also to what someone said above about rows after chins - I have found 3-4 sets of chin ups (working) followed by 2 sets of single arm dumbbell rows (8-10 reps) has led to big number gains in the rows. Again, I guess what seemed strange is that my bicep curls and shoulder laterals don't do well while my rows and tricep extensions have progressed significantly (extensions after bench press, curls after chins, rows after chins, laterals after military).

(reply to below) - 1 year of rock climbing and 100kg bodyweight probably helps.. As far as I'm concerned though I'm weak until I can do a 1 handed chin up!

Last edited:
No, 45kg curls barbell curls are stong.
I suppose some find it easier than others.
Depends on technique too and if you are truly trying to isolate biceps.

To me it looks as though you have progressed. Your able to do more chinups and your able to curl the same weight for the same weight after having done more chinups.

Id say you would certainly be able to do more curls before the chinups, but then youd likely to less chinups.

Dont overthink it, you are definately progressing, keep doing curls.

^^this

+ curls don't come easy, progress is usually slow.

I've never seen a guy strict curl more than 40kg for sets of 10
But then again I don't really see people squatting or deadlifting