• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How many times do you change your training program for any given muscle?

• I do a different program every time to try to hit the muscle in as many diff. ways as I can

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Every 2-3 weeks: Ample time for the muscle to get used to a certain program

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • At least every 3-4 months: you should really exhaust a program before you change it

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • I've been doing the same exercise program since 2001. It's what works for me. Why would I change it?

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
How many times do you change your training program for any given muscle?

I try to stick to the same routine for a while depending on injury, boredom, or finding something more interesting and wanting to try it out.

As a beginner; I started with starting strength a little under a year ago.

Earlier this year (say five months later) I added a couple of extras to the program as I wanted some assistance exercises

Three weeks ago, fatigued from squatting three days a week, I switched to a 5/3/1 routine. It's been a good change and half way through the third week I'm seeing continued improvement.

I made each change after I reached a point where I felt I had worked myself to a maximum without either burning out or becoming bored.

Three to four month cycles for the beginner lifter are an absolute must. The beginner must focus on consistency of exercise and form. The beginner must build a solid platform to work from.

I am interested to see if some of the experienced lifters change their training more often, and if they do, for what reason

My "programs" have me doing different exercises or rep ranges every time I work out. programs usually get changed every 6 -12 weeks

Last edited:
The basics of my program stay pretty much the same all the time. No massive changes just adjustments made along the way.

Hardly ever change the basis of it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMw2Prmsr5E]3DMJ March 2012 - QA - YouTube[/ame]

I'll usually stick with one basic template for as long as I can (either physically or mentally), but exactly what I'll do within that framework may be a little more variable.

Used to change it up every 4 weeks. Over time I've felt I could have milked a bit more out of each program if I stuck with it longer, so now I go more by feel. Some exercises I feel work the muscle perfectly (mind muscle connection, good contraction and stretch, smooth resistance curve), so I never swap them out. Other exercises I struggle to isolate the muscle I'm trying to target, so I'll swap them out after a few weeks.