• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Farmers walk

Trying to understand how i should incorporate farmers walks into my training, should i be going for the maximum weight i can carry a very short distance? or a set distance/time?..

So far i've just tried with a 40KG kettlebell on one hand and a 32KG kettlebell in the other (switching every so often)... and i could probably walk a long way like that...

what are realistic starting weights and distances i should be aiming for? (6'1", 112kg)

Traditionally farmer's are very heavy weight over a short distance.

I think farmers walks are fantastic and I've always used them as a finisher which is at the end of a workout.
Forty meters or the length of your driveway and back, but increasing weight over distance is the ticket.

I've used farmers walks very regularly once a week for over fifteen straight years.

Nothing under BW.

Increase weight over a set distance.

I have a +110kg kid with less than 9 months lifting experience who can do 70-80 per hand if that gives you any perspective.

They might work, if you can grab them centrally and if they can hold enough weight.

A lot of guys have them made, can be done reasonably.

I made some that look pretty much exactly like Andy's.
Cost me about 20 bucks or so and an hour of my time if that.
Some galv pipe, long bolts, nuts and washers and smaller pipe for handles.

Pricey though... $400 for just one exercise..
would a pair of tricep bars make a reasonable substitute? since i'm planning on one of those anyway...

?

I have a tricep bar and it did occur to me that it'd be useful for Farmers Walk, if I had a second one. However, the knurling on mine is only useful when using it for tricep extensions. Once you rotate it to hold for FW there is no knurling where you'd be holding it.

Another option to consider would be Olympic Dumbbells. Put a few small plates on the inside to give you a little more room to manoeuvre, and heavy plates on the outside.

Anyone else do overhead walks? I did these with 60kg on the bar the other day and they were fucking awesome

Can I pick up some gear for farmers walk handles from bunnings?

I'm thinking a hardwood fence pailing with two handles through it - one long (holds weight), one short (you hold).

I'm pretty shitty at DYI if anyone could list good things to use and places to get it tell me.

Can I pick up some gear for farmers walk handles from bunnings?

I'm thinking a hardwood fence pailing with two handles through it - one long (holds weight), one short (you hold).

I'm pretty shitty at DYI if anyone could list good things to use and places to get it tell me.

Mitre 10 might be a better bet

I'd imagine a bit of steel/iron threaded pipe would make for easy farmers handles..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk