• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Skullcrushers vs Rope Pushdowns

Ok.

You are speaking through your arse again.

I meant to write I don't beleive you are quite right.

You are as useful as a bag of hair

The worlds only living brain donor.

Please be more clear when you make a ignorant random statement

solid rage/10.

"Please elucidate, I believe that is quite right." doesn't really make sense so just speak english next time k. I know you like to speak in riddles but really it gets a bit boring after a while.

Okay?

this is where i got it from - in before tnation blah blah
T NATION | Building Bodybuilder Triceps

Last edited by a moderator:
The long head crosses over the shoulder

The other two don't, so it is not important which position the upper arm is in an exercise to work these two.

To achieve full contraction in the long head the upper arm needs to be positioned parralel and a tad behind the torso.

For that reason the pulldown using a rope will give "best bang for the buck".

Weighted bench dips has been doing it for me.
Only done it twice in the last couple of weeks.

1/2 way through my goal of 1/2 inch gain on arms in 30 days, and up 1/4 inch so far, should get the 1/2 inch goal just in time.

Actually, did pullovers with a deep stretch a couple of days ago and my triceps are more sore than they have been in a long time.

Neither of them are particularly nice on your joints (particularly skulls which just outright go to town on my elbows and I'm only 24).

As far as I'm aware, the key difference is just gravity, but if you can only do rope pushdowns, do rope pushdowns.

If you must choose between the two (rather than alternate them as suggested, which I think is preferable), I honestly would pick the one which causes the least pain and just slowly increase weight over time.

tricep rope pull down with some good separation at the end so you can feel the tingle

but

I do love skull crushers :)

For me i couldnt do skull curshes as i found this wwas the cause of me getting extreme pain on the underside of the forearms through many exercises, I did like them and i do them every now and then but just not consistantly.

Neither of them are particularly nice on your joints (particularly skulls which just outright go to town on my elbows and I'm only 24).

As far as I'm aware, the key difference is just gravity, but if you can only do rope pushdowns, do rope pushdowns.

Excuse me, but how is gravity different on one exercise compared to another seeing how its a constant 9.8m/s^2??

TESTOSTERONE NATION | Tricep Pulldowns: What Attatchment? - Page 1

A few posts in is a list of tricep exercises categorized into Tricep Head Involvement in particular exercises by a guy named Bill Roberts. They're results of MRI studies done on the tricep by Tesch in the early 90's showing which head was being used on which exercises.

Also two more great exercises not on the list and havent been mention yet are JM presses and "Inhuman" CGBP. The latter involves a smith machine but is surprisingly good and used by a few of DC guys like Justin Harris.

Last edited:
Standingor lying French press with ezy bar

followed by rope push downs.

This should target all aspects of the tricep, maybe two sets of each to failure each time. 8-12 reps

Start with weighted dips for your main compound using that muscle group

Excuse me, but how is gravity different on one exercise compared to another seeing how its a constant 9.8m/s^2??

TESTOSTERONE NATION | Tricep Pulldowns: What Attatchment? - Page 1

A few posts in is a list of tricep exercises categorized into Tricep Head Involvement in particular exercises by a guy named Bill Roberts. They're results of MRI studies done on the tricep by Tesch in the early 90's showing which head was being used on which exercises.

Also two more great exercises not on the list and havent been mention yet are JM presses and "Inhuman" CGBP. The latter involves a smith machine but is surprisingly good and used by a few of DC guys like Justin Harris.

Yes gravity is constant, but, for example you can only jump so high, whereas you can fall as far as the distance between you and the earth permits.

One exercise goes against gravity, the other works with it. Otherwise, personally I find the motion of the exercises very similar/almost identical (particularly because to avoid elbow issues, I have to hold the ezy bar/dumbbells with a slightly wider grip than would normally be used).