• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats your military : bench ratio?

My strict overhead is over 75% of my bench, my push press is around 95% and my close/medium grip bench are the same

It's an interesting topic, as having a high ratio like mine would imply my pecs do practically nothing when I bench (and possibly a technical issue) whereas a low ratio would suggest your shoulders may be the weak link in your bench press

I agree man, it's a good indicator to what you might need to work on. Also with your bench Hamburglar, whats your lat/upper back strength like?

Another indicator for shoulder/lat weakness can be which direction the bar falls out of the groove when you fail on bench. Toward the face can be either lat weakness or inability to get tight (the "break the bar cue" can help) or toward the feet can mean you are too tight and need some shoulders to stabilise better.

Mines 70:115 using the same grip, so ~60% and yeah I do see shoulders as a weak point that I'm working on but don't do strict press 1RM very often.

I agree man, it's a good indicator to what you might need to work on. Also with your bench Hamburglar, whats your lat/upper back strength like?

Another indicator for shoulder/lat weakness can be which direction the bar falls out of the groove when you fail on bench. Toward the face can be either lat weakness or inability to get tight (the "break the bar cue" can help) or toward the feet can mean you are too tight and need some shoulders to stabilise better.

Mines 70:115 using the same grip, so ~60% and yeah I do see shoulders as a weak point that I'm working on but don't do strict press 1RM very often.

Tbh it's kinda hard to tell for me cos all those numbers were hit last year with a fractured collarbone and I haven't touched a straight bar (or benched) since Feb/March

If I can get in 6+ months of uninterrupted training I'll get back to you lol

I would say however, that my spinal erectors are quite strong (relative to my overall strength anyway) but maybe not so much my scapula retractors/stabilisers, just going off deadlift and row variant numbers as well as what my deadlift looks like at 90% +

Whats your military press compared to you bench press?

Wingman, how do I do the military press for these purposes? Is it seated or standing?

I dunno whether I could stop myself cheating if I went for a 1RM in the standing position. Any tips?

Last edited:
Wingman, how do I do the military press for these purposes? Is it seated or standing?

I dunno whether I could stop myself cheating if I went for a 1RM in the standing position. Any tips?

Standing. Lock your knees out and squeeze your ass. My press is like half my bench due to the rear of my shoulder being sore (capsule ligament impingement)

My best TnG bench is 117.5, best paused is 110...best strict press (months ago!!) is 75 so 63-68%

Yeah im at about 50 %

Best is 70 x 3 strict, Best paused bench is 155kg.
Overhead press is really friggin hard

Last edited:
Going by my db numbers as that's all I can use now.

About 75%. I have a shoulder issue though.

Previously with BB 1rm's it was only 60%. Hmm...

53% (80 / 150)

Although the ratio would probably go up to 57-60% if I referenced against a paused bench.