• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Passing out during DL?

breathe in either while standing, or while holding bar.
not full breath, just enough to stabilise lower back.
breathe out after weight is down.

changing amount of air doesn't seem to have much effect (apart from on my shitty lower back) and whether i breathe out on the way down or a few seconds after weight is down, doesn't seem to have effect (not sure on the breathe out tho?).

i'll feel like starting to pass out about halfway down (lowering, not dropping), but can easily do that halfway up too if i pause there.. but locked out at top is ok...
bit weird...

if i let too much air out on the way down, lower back gets too loose and likely to round

So you hold your breath through the whole rep, both the positive and negative?

I think breathing during the lift is often ignored or overlooked and I wouldn't recommend holding your breath during the whole rep.
Try breathing in at the start of the lift (positive) and start exhaling during the decent (negative)

Sounds like a vasovagal reaction OC.

Holding your breath during a heavy lift increases the blood pressure in your neck and head.

BP sensors at your carotid senses the increase in pressure and tells the heart to slow down and the blood vessels to relax.

The drop in heart rate/vascular resistance drops the brain perfusion momentarily and BAM you feel like you're going to pass out, or you do pass out!

Holding your breath in your gut, allows you to use your diaphragm as a natural thoracic brace(think lifting belt). It keeps all of your organs and muscle tissue in the core locked in by using counter pressure and ultimately aids in locking in the lever that you are using your back as.

I read up on it after almost passing out after my DL's too lol

Deep breath into the gut, lock your core, it allows for counter pressure to be put on the diaphragm/internal organs - rather than being held up high in the lungs causing pressure on the vegus nerve - which in turn causes you to feel like you're going to faint or pass out.

When lifting heavy - Inhale deeply to the gut, lock your core.. lift the weight.. replace the weight...and exhale.

It's a common thing I believe OC, you're definitely not alone :)

It happened to me when I DL 100kg for reps for the first time. I didn't pass out, but man I was seeing stars and was hugging the carpet for a good 2 minutes afterwards, I just felt so ick! lol

I was letting the air out slowly as I lowered the weight and it just didn't work for me. I'm on lower weight now, but I find my locking the air into the gut and only exhaling once I've lowered the weight, it's better? And yes, I'm faster on my lifts - lock out and faster to lower the weight too lol

The focus is more on being able to release the breath and relax the core and diaphragm now. Where as before I just felt immense pressure in my head every time.

I guess different things work for different people? - but it aint a nice feeling! That's fo sho!

OC like a blood sugar problem, I often get the stars, burst blood vessels in the face etc. I hold my breath and push my diaphram out to stay tight. Try resetting every rep and having a few breaths, this will establish whether it is oxygen starvation or not.