• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Passing out during DL?

I take a big breath then exhale slowly on the way up, lock, finish off the exhale as I put it down... then I breath in and start the next rep...
Am I doin it wrong?

Sounds like a vasovagal reaction OC.

Holding your breath during a heavy lift increases the blood pressure in your neck and head.

BP sensors at your carotid senses the increase in pressure and tells the heart to slow down and the blood vessels to relax.

The drop in heart rate/vascular resistance drops the brain perfusion momentarily and BAM you feel like you're going to pass out, or you do pass out!

Holding your breath in your gut, allows you to use your diaphragm as a natural thoracic brace(think lifting belt). It keeps all of your organs and muscle tissue in the core locked in by using counter pressure and ultimately aids in locking in the lever that you are using your back as.

I read up on it after almost passing out after my DL's too lol

Deep breath into the gut, lock your core, it allows for counter pressure to be put on the diaphragm/internal organs - rather than being held up high in the lungs causing pressure on the vegus nerve - which in turn causes you to feel like you're going to faint or pass out.

When lifting heavy - Inhale deeply to the gut, lock your core.. lift the weight.. replace the weight...and exhale.

It's a common thing I believe OC, you're definitely not alone :)

you dirty plagiarizer!:D

you shouldn't be copy pasting from the crossfit forum, god i hate that place.:D

Nearly Passed Out During Deadlift - CrossFit Discussion Board

ps - i think if you copy paste from another place its best to put a link at the bottom

caught by the ausbb detective - player:cool:

Last edited:
Actually I think that information is available elsewhere too, because I don't recall ever going to a crossfit forum lol

I researched it after I nearly passed out after DL'ing in March (I think) and copy and pasted alot of information into a word document, I then took it to class and picked my lecturers brain over it all - we even went so far as to bring on a vasovagal response in one of the students. We then had to do an entire assignment on it in class - but as all of the info I'd gathered was mooshed together in a word document, I didn't know where I'd got it from.

Some parts of the above were the clearest to me and made the most sense. Thats why I put it here for OC.

Good find player...detective you definitely are. lol

I do make reference in there that I'd studied up on it after my own episode a few months ago. But I don't think it came from a crossfit forum originally.

Anyhow, regardless, it's a bloody awful feeling. But it's not the only reason for feeling faint during lift's, that's for sure.

So you hold your breath through the whole rep, both the positive and negative?

yep. Once u breathe out u lose tightness and your form generally gets thrown out with out.. especially on max lifts.

Ive passed out for 2 seconds and had a burst blood vessel in my eye recently at nats while squatting at absolute max.. Same goes for deadlifts.

Trentburstbloodvesselsmall.jpg

yep. Once u breathe out u lose tightness and your form generally gets thrown out with out.. especially on max lifts.

Ive passed out for 2 seconds and had a burst blood vessel in my eye recently at nats while squatting at absolute max.. ]

Well, as long you can pass out from lifting I guess that's alright then and a burst blood vessel is even better 'cause then you can still be the elephant in the room!

you might be onto something there mate, have (maybe) noticed it is worse with creatine before session.

i'll do next time sugared up.. then time after that, sugared down and creatine and see how it goes :D
will play with that breathing thing also.
ahh experiments!

there has to be a reason... i have good BP normally, but possinly low under pressure, and if thats the case, then just need a workaround :)

Just be careful with the breathing I wouldn't recommend trying to inhale or exhale during the DL. I get alot of problems with my low back and have learned from experience you have to hold your breath and push out on the diaphram hard to keep that low back locked tight. I think with the DL you need that few seconds between reps to reset your position and get tight. Helps take the momentum out of the equation too and ensure every rep is from a dead stop.

Do you wear a belt?

It sometimes happens to me when im going for pb's and I kno its a breathing issue for me because I forget about the importance of breathing.. I have fainted a few times but for me its about 5 seconds after the lift. I start to see stars, get dizzy, begin to sweat hard, feel like vomiting then rush to the incline bench. If I dont make it ontime the next thing I kno im waking up to concerned looks on the faces of ppl around me and im thinkin where am I haha then finish my workout like a bawwws!

If you are able to breath during a max lift it is not heavy enough.

The passing out is usually due to the body not used to the massive changes in blood pressure when doing a heavy lift. Usually when doing a pb or a new lift. It usually stops after your body gets used to the lift.

I'd say I'm pretty used to the deadlift now..... Still blacked out last weekend.
Also lost vision on my 2nd squat :-/

Once you start moving bigger weights, blacking out is kinda part of the sport.

I'd say I'm pretty used to the deadlift now..... Still blacked out last weekend.
Also lost vision on my 2nd squat :-/

Once you start moving bigger weights, blacking out is kinda part of the sport.

Well I said usually, plus going for pb or near pb lifts its more likely. Heavy overhead presses do it to me a lot for some reason.

I cant OH press heavy, so don't feel your pain lol.

My best OH is about 115 :(
Well really my overhead strength is really nothing special, just less shit than my bench.

The other one i get it from is rack pulls. I was sort of fitting on the floor one day when I started to black out. Lol.

Like you said it does sort of come with lifting heavy weights. I can't imagine doing 1000+ lb suited squats. The pressure would feel like your head is going to explode.

Well really my overhead strength is really nothing special, just less shit than my bench.

The other one i get it from is rack pulls. I was sort of fitting on the floor one day when I started to black out. Lol.

Like you said it does sort of come with lifting heavy weights. I can't imagine doing 1000+ lb suited squats. The pressure would feel like your head is going to explode.

Its all relative, no?

Its all relative, no?

Na and I am sure Sticky would say the same. When you start out lifting a 100% deadlift or what ever lift may be say 100kg but the pressure on the body is nothing compared to a still 100% lift but up near 300kg.