• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overtraining real or myth?

Brick

So debate continues to rage on overtraining. So here's the thread share your thoughts gents.

Personally I think it is nearly impossible for the average trainee. I have known a lot of fighters over the years who were very serious amateurs those guys were doing three plus hours of intense training five nights a week, running hills and stairs on weekends and doing four day splits without problems. They were young, fit, ate heaps, slept heaps and were in phenomenal shape.

Although you don't have to train heaps I don't think you will go catabolic and fall apart like some people think.

overtraining is relative to your fitness and health.

if half of all people training were overtraining, then it is possible for the average trainee to also overtrain :p

Good article max.

Basically my point. Most people will never be able to train hard enough for long enough to overtrain. 45min 4-7 times a week won't come close to doing it

Good article max.

Basically my point. Most people will never be able to train hard enough for long enough to overtrain. 45min 4-7 times a week won't come close to doing it

Yeah unless the calorie intake is just stupidly low and macro balance is terrible.

I am not sure about muscular overtraining, as others said it requires a lot.

But I do believe in overtraining joints. I've experienced it myself where the joints get sore and then numerous injuries occur.

Cns overtraining?

What about overtraining like in gridiron where you train to exhaustion 2-3 times per day? I know by the end of 2 a days my fitness had actually got worse.

Last edited:
Yeah don't really believe in over training for 99% of people who train and lift, I think majority of problems would be caused by under eating or not enough rest/sleep.

Yeah don't really believe in over training for 99% of people who train and lift, I think majority of problems would be caused by under eating or not enough rest/sleep.

Then they would be overtraining for their recovery abilitly :)

Probably the real reason most plateau is they don't know how to train properly, I doubt once a week bodypart lifters even get close to overtraining they just fail in their progression methods along with other poor training plans.

Most of the others fail because they don't know how to eat enough.

Oh and most of the people in these two groups tend to belong to both groups.

In regards to CNS overtraining there is a new theory on inflammation factors being the major issue in overtraining. I believe research is still moving forwards in this unless someone else has any other info on it?

Last edited:
Overtraining exists but the majority of people who claim it are, as mentioned previously, "under-recovered" or just "pussy-ass-bitches".

sure its real.... but most dont train hard enough to overtrain, and when they do, as others have said, its because they are not eating and/or sleeping properly.

I had been going balls out for 5 months, lifting +90% weights 10-14 times a week before I started running into problems
but even then, I didn't get a decrease in strength or go into complete neural meltdown or any of that shit. I started getting my hip and si joint playing up, upper back cramping, stuff like that. I think if I had changed around some exercises I could probably have avoided that. Most people have no fucking idea how much their body can take and I still think I'm nowhere near the limit of my training capacity and I just need to sit back and build myself up a little slower which is what I have been doing recently

In most cases it's just too much too soon. Eating and sleeping helps a lot, I try to get 10 hours a day. That's of sleeping AND eating :D

How much and how many times throughout the week you decide to workout depends on your ability to recover from one workout to another.

It was back in the 80's with the introduction of aerobics and lengthy marathon type wotkouts, where the term "over-trainining" became a hot topic and real for the general population.

Dr Kenneth Cooper literally invented the term "aerobics", he wrote that more is better, ten years later, discovered that he was wrong.

But that is where the issue lies, not the weight training itself.

CNS? I don't believe the CNS gets worn down, like muscle it either works or it doesn't.