• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Workout Of The Week - What Is The Best Calf Building Workout?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
With the latest talk of Calves , i thought it would be fitting for this weeks "Work out of the Week" to be What Is The Best Calf Building Workout?

Big arms, ripped abs are something that everyone wants , but calves seem to the be neglected part that only bodybuilders care about E It was Arnold's weak point for awhile, is it yours?

What is the best calf building workout?

How long should an effective calf workout be?

Should you train calves seperate or together with another muscle group ?

How do you break your calves out of a plateau

Also check out Shreks/hammer/GROAR july calve challenge http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/19314-july-calf-challenge.html

Dunno how legit this is, but it's interesting anyway: T NATION | Issue 623 (there are more articles like that one, for other body areas, as well).

And there's another article that's more directly relevant, I guess, and from a guy whose writing I usually trust, to be well-researched and thought out: Training the Calves | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I'm not yet at the level where I'll be bothering with calf isolation (if I ever do), but I'm always wanting to learn more, and if I find info that might contribute something, I'll post it. :)

edit: I'm relying on squats, lunges and power cleans atm...

Last edited:
Well i guess I'm still trying to find out LOL.

Donkey calf raises are my favs but cannot do them often due to not having someone sitting on my back.

I'm gonna try to train them everyday for a month to try to force some growth.
Here goes. :(

i get on the hammer seated calf press

together - reps til failure
separate - reps til failure

this x 3-4. usually work up to about 100kg and if im feeling so fancy free sometimes i do pyramid - reverse pyramid.

my calves of obesity are easy for me though. for many people they are a truly stubborn motherf-cker of a body part to get growth on.

Mine aren't great or anything but have finally started to grow since doing regular sled drags on off days. Quite often they are sore the next day which is weird for the stubborn little buggers

If I cared about growing calves I would do lots of very high reps sets frequently but I don't so I am not going to.

Maybe I am delusional but I think I have reasonable calves, there for I only train them once a week usually 4 sets, which nludes. 1 war up set and then 3 work sets of between 12 and 15 reps as heavy I am able to on either the standing calf machine or using the 45deg leg press, usually lift about 180kg on sled.....

Well i guess I'm still trying to find out LOL.

Donkey calf raises are my favs but cannot do them often due to not having someone sitting on my back.

I'm gonna try to train them everyday for a month to try to force some growth.
Here goes. :(

I reckon that's the ticket for most, what rep range Adriana?

I've read that some also have good results incorporating hill sprints into daily calf exercise.

If you don't respond to normal calf raises, going to suggest skipping or skipping in a weighted vest. 30 sec on 30 sec off skipping as hard as possible for 10 minutes. Good cardio too.

I reckon that's the ticket for most, what rep range Adriana?

I've read that some also have good results incorporating hill sprints into daily calf exercise.
I'm going to pick a weight that i can just get 20 reps on and increase by 1-2kg every day for the whole month. The first week or so might be a little easy but by the second, third and 4th it will get tough. :(

The other alternative was to add one rep everyday so it will increase by 31 by the end of month. hmm

Yeah extra reps, heavy sets! I am doing something similar, will be training them 3 times a week. When I was training for MMA, skipping really did the trick for me too.