• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
So if you workout every day, you will be huge?

34 inch waist and 28 inch legs, yeah that huge.

People who have killer calves but and aren't into bb almost always used to be fat. Best way to pick a girl who recently lost alot of weight is the well built calves developed from hauling a plump arse around all the time. The exception to this rule is cyclists or other such sports, but for the most part they are reformed fatties.

Yep, +1.

what you reckon then?

i would like to think my calves have improved somewhat (pics in my bb transform thread) even though ive lost weight.. i credit that to actually training them normally and not having the mindset of everyone else when it comes to calves (they are genetic ect ect).

calves are actually an easy place to store fat so if you lose fat on the legs, they're bound to improve in definition, for sure and if you've got a good genetic base, then you're laughing.
For the rest of us slender young things :p, it's a little tougher to build 'em up.

Trying something different to "shock" the calves isn't a bad idea. Works well for other things, once there's been too much adaptation.

I'd probably stick to around 12-15 reps done slowly on the way down. That's a killer.

and lol i can't help it ...
Darth-Vader-I-FIND-YOUR-LACK-OF-FAITH-DISTURBING.jpg

calves are actually an easy place to store fat so if you lose fat on the legs, they're bound to improve in definition, for sure and if you've got a good genetic base, then you're laughing.
For the rest of us slender young things :p, it's a little tougher to build 'em up.

Trying something different to "shock" the calves isn't a bad idea. Works well for other things, once there's been too much adaptation.

I'd probably stick to around 12-15 reps done slowly on the way down. That's a killer.

and lol i can't help it ...
Darth-Vader-I-FIND-YOUR-LACK-OF-FAITH-DISTURBING.jpg

i guess i could say everybodys fat storing is different:p
I don't think ive got a good genetic base for calves at all, i think when i first started they were 12.5 inches lol HUGE.

I only do 6-8 reps on calves btw

brb shocking the muscle brb new exercise every week as recommended by the bro's at the gym otherwise ill get used to it and lose all dem gains:D

*sigh* love out of context extremes.

sorry lol

but they do tell me to do that haha.

I think this thread needs a summary

summary - calves are not magic, no matter how many articles/videos saying "this is the only way to build your calves"

People who have killer calves but and aren't into bb almost always used to be fat. Best way to pick a girl who recently lost alot of weight is the well built calves developed from hauling a plump arse around all the time. The exception to this rule is cyclists or other such sports, but for the most part they are reformed fatties.
I agree. I haven't been fat for a couple of years but have retained decent calves which i put down to sport.

I'm going to put this out there apart from ex-fatties there is another group of people with huge calves. Have a look next time you are in a powerlifting gym all the big squatters have huge calves and the only direct work their getting is the odd power shrug.

GROAR/Bella, referring back to the posted pics, I think it's fairly obvious to say that these examples are of (heavy) drug using bodybuilders which a natural/recreational lifter will have no hope of achieving.

I think it needs to be pointed out that we need to keep our expectations real and that comparing ourselves to elite (ie drug using) bodybuilders who will grow in spite of their training rather than because of it, will only set us up for disappointment.

Last edited:
I agree, but there must be some genetics already to build them like that. Some pros with all their drug use still do not have calves like the ones posted.

BTW - it's Eric Fankhouser.

I agree, but there must be some genetics already to build them like that. Some pros with all their drug use still do not have calves like the ones posted.

BTW - it's Eric Fankhouser.

True, not every drug using bodybuilder will achieve that sort of result however, it's safe to say that 99.9% of natural lifters will not ever be able to achieve that.

Also as I said before, GH is genetics in a bottle so if you have trouble with your calves just load up on the GH lol