• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bob Harper - Skinny Rules - 20 Tips for Successful Fat Loss

Bella

Babycakes
Thought this was an interesting article, some points make complete sense, other's...I'm not so sure. But for anyone attempting to lose weight and lots of it - none of it can hurt :)

Celebrity trainer Bob Harper has helped contestants on The Biggest Loser US lose weight and keep it off. We take a sneak peek at Bob's new book, The Skinny Rules, in which he helps you finally shed those unwanted kilogram's, shares more than 90 delicious recipes to keep you cooking and eating skinny for life - and reveals his 20 rules for successful weight loss....

bob1.jpg

bob2.jpg

bob3.jpg

RULE 1 : WATER

Drink a large glass of water before every meal - no excuses!

RULE 2 : DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES

As you drink your can of coke or fanta or sprite, consider that you are actually eating the equivalent of what should be your entire lunch. Human beings are simply not built to consume liquid calories. When you're drinking liquid calories, you're fighting 200,000 years of human history! You and coke, are not going to win!

RULE 3 : EAT PROTEIN AT EVERY MEAL

Or stay hungry and grouchy! Just how much is enough? The official answer is : no one really knows. I'm going to give you what we might call the 'Skinny Recommendation' : take your weight (in lbs) and divide it in two - that's roughly how much protein you should be eating in grams a day. More research shows that consumption of a hig protein diet, with reduced high carb foods, results in better weight-control metabolism.

RULE 4 : SLASH YOUR INTAKE OF REFINED FLOURS AND GRAINS

Grains are alot like liquid calories once your body processes them. We were not built to eat them, or at least, not in plentiful quantities.

RULE 5 : FIBRE

Eat 30-40 grams of fibre every single day

RULE 6 : FRUIT

Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day!

RULE 7 : CARBS

Get all your carbs in, in the morning. No carbs after lunch.

RULE 8 : LABELS

Learn to read food labels so you know, without doubt, what you're putting into your body!

RULE 9 : PORTION SIZES

Stop guessing portion sizes and get it right!

Studies have shown that average at-home meals have ballooned y 20 to 30 percent over the past 20 years. Practise forced portion control : stock your kitchen with foods in portions you are absolutely sure about and/or portion it out into bags or serving containers ahead of time, so that when you're hungry, you find the right sized offering, every time. If you fail to plan - you plan to fail!

RULE 10 : SUGAR/SWEETENERS

No more added sweeteners, including all artificial ones too! Be your own sugar police. Enough with the artificial sweeteners ok? But if you can really stick to a teaspoon of brown sugar or a cube of sugar in your coffee or tea, step down from more of it this way : indulge yourself that teaspoon or sugar cube NO MORE than twice a day. For your cereal or oats? Add berries to sweeten things up instead!

RULE 11 : POTATOE

No more white potatoes

RULE 12 : VEGETARIAN

Relax. Just make one day, per week - meatless.

RULE 13 : FAST FOOD/FRIED FOOD

Get rid of it. It's crap for your body, your digestive system, your heart, your brain function, your hormone function - utter garbage.

RULE 14 : BREAKFAST

Eat a real breakfast! You will fail at weight loss and weight control if you don't. Why? Because my experience tells me it's essental. If there is one habit all my obese contestants on The Biggest Loser have in common, it's skipping breakfast! When should you eat breakfast? I prefer that you eat it within an hour of waking and, of course, after a large glass of water!

RULE 15 : COOK!

Make your own food! Eat at least 10 meals every week AT HOME.

RULE 16 : SALT

Banish high salt foods! Here's how I manage my own salt intake :
* Don't use salt at the table. (Don't even put it ON the table)
* When you check a label for salt, always check the portion size as well.
* Use lemons and lemon juice to enhance the flavour of foods.
* If somethin you're cooking calls for a teaspoon of salt, start with half or a third of a teaspoon instead. You can always add more salt later, you can't take it out!

RULE 17 : VEGETABLES

Eat them! No arguments, just do it!

RULE 18 : GO TO BED HUNGRY

Your body will burn fat like crazy if you do. The absence of carbs in your bloodstream will let your body produce the hormones it needs for better sleep. And wth good sleep comes other benefits - muscle repair, brain-chemical balancing and increased energy during the day. You might say that sleep is nature's ultimate spa treatment and the best gift you can give your body!

RULE 19 : SLEEP!

Sleep right! Men should pay particular attention to sleep. Studies show that sleep deprivation makes men more vulnerable to snacking and weight gain, than women.

RULE 20 : RE-FEEDS

Plan on one splurge meal, every week.

I got so much flak when I started advocating this! Unlike episodic bingeing, splurge meals are an ingredient in your diet. When ou plan something, YOU are in control. And when YOU are in control of your splurge, you don't later think that you've failed.

And that puts an end to the old binge-shame-diet-binge-cycle.

Bob Harpers 20 Skinny Rules - extract from his book The Skinny Rules.

Terrible article I'm not to sure where to start.

Rule 18, bro science anyone, fuckin lol

lol

Perhaps...

But put it this way, it aint going to hurt those people who need to lose alot of weight either, is it? :D

I think people that need to lose weight need to realise they can still eat a certain amount of dirty food, otherwise they set unrealistic expectations and cycle through ridiculous diets. Stuff like this article puts weightloss too far out of reach for most, it's not brain surgery, just burn more then you eat.

edit, best part of the article is that first photo what is he blowing a kiss while attemting an uprite row.

Last edited:
What a load of crap!!!

Got to be thankful for the many things I have learned from Ausbb (in particular Max Brenner)

RULE 11 : POTATOE

He had up until mis spelling potato.

Some of these idiots should be put in gaol for the outright shit they spew.
There is enough stress in out lives to cope with.

Most of it is bullshit and he has the physique of a skinny teenage boy. I think I'll get my diet information elsewhere.

lol

I agree.

But I guess he's targeting the obese, who really have no idea how to eat or where to start. I read the article this morning and groaned a little to be honest....they all mean well and for a plethora of people, these diet tips will work for them, as far as fat loss goes.

I guess, like anything, it's commitment to what you're doing? That's why Jenny Craig works and Tony Ferguson and Weight Watchers works and the Atkins Diet works....they all work, for some of the people, some of the time....

But potato? I love potato :(
lol

That's the thing plenty of these tips will work to lose weight but they are not working for the reasons he is saying and they are not necessary to do to lose weight.

Last edited:
I guess, like anything, it's commitment to what you're doing? That's why Jenny Craig works and Tony Ferguson and Weight Watchers works and the Atkins Diet works....they all work, for some of the people, some of the time....

But potato? I love potato :(
lol

As you said it will work for those who stick to it, but it's not sustainable long term.

I've been and tried all the Fad diets, they work, but don't teach you anything. so for some choosing between these 20 rules and TF or WW or whatever which is worse?

Somethings not right there.

The only rules I follow of his are - eat breakfast, cook yourself and sleep, which are pretty much impossible not to do.

I couldn't be much skinnier than current, doing the opposite of everything he says...

As you said it will work for those who stick to it, but it's not sustainable long term.

I've been and tried all the Fad diets, they work, but don't teach you anything. so for some choosing between these 20 rules and TF or WW or whatever which is worse?

I agree Bradders! I guess the problem is that some people are not prepared to get off their arse and educate themselves about their own body? I agree with Bazza, these tips are not necessary for fat loss. Neither is Atkins or WW or TF or Lite N Easy or any of the other fad and expensive programs out there. But people are looking for that magic bullet and it just doesn't exist.

What is real and true, is educating yourself about your body, understanding what it needs and playing with macro's and calories to see where you need to be sitting to actually 'lose weight'. That number will need to be adjusted continuously, as your body sheds the fat.

In the first 6 months of my fat loss campaign, I was incredibly strict with my carb intake, salt intake and sugar intake. And it worked. Would it have been sustainable long term? Not every day, forever. No. But it was a good starting point, while I took the time to educate myself about my own body - and now I'm not as strict, I eat the things I enjoy with a focus on still eating healthfully, because whilst I aimed to lose fat - my long term aim was to focus entirely on my health and wellbeing.

So I've lost over 85kgs in 16 months. But is any of it sustainable? It all comes down to the individual person I think? I will never go back to what I had become. Not ever. But many do?

I guess the weight loss industry is a billion dollar industry, because success, comes down to an individual taking ownership of their body, their mistakes and their actions - the 'diet' or 'lifestyle' or 'eating plan' is largely irrelevant, because in the end, they all do work.

But the success and longevity of any program, for any reason - depends on you and you alone?

Bella first you were like oh its useful and now your saying you agree with bazza and its a load of rubbish now? And now your trying to explain what you first meant by going into how obese people.could benefit from it. Doesnt make much sense.

No offence but the only opinions that mean anything in nutrition is guys who study it.

Now before you/others get upset at me thinking im targetting you i would have said the same thing to anyone else.

Bella first you were like oh its useful and now your saying you agree with bazza and its a load of rubbish now? And now your trying to explain what you first meant by going into how obese people.could benefit from it. Doesnt make much sense.

No offence but the only opinions that mean anything in nutrition is guys who study it.

Now before you/others get upset at me thinking im targetting you i would have said the same thing to anyone else.

I'm not upset. My point is, I followed something very similar to these points, when I first started. It could and will be helpful to many fat folks - and I do agree with all of the boys - it's not sustainable forever, so that's the key isn't it? You need to find out what works for your body and how it works for your body.

This isn't nutritional advice buddy. It's an article on the newest 'Tips for Weight Loss' from Bob Harper. I'm not an advocate and I'm not beating it up. It'll work for those who try it. Some of the points are valid, like Hulk stated, some are not. I said that in my opening post? :confused:

lol he's certainly become leaner since the show first started. I used to watch it all the time, because I lived in North America when they first started it up and he was alot more muscular and bigger too back then. He seems to have leaned out and lost size....

I wonder why? The stress of fame perhaps? And being really ridiculously rich? lol....yes, the sound of cash registers chiming in my head would make me leaner too lol

Do you think your experienced/qualified/knowledegable enough to be telling me what i need to do?
Best leave it to the experts. Not me or you or bob.

Ps - how is that not advice lol

Dont be mad.:)

Do you think your experienced/qualified/knowledegable enough to be telling me what i need to do?
Best leave it to the experts. Not me or you or bob.

Ps - how is that not advice lol

Dont be mad.:)

I am not telling anyone what to do? The article was interesting I thought? I agree with a couple of points, I groaned at most of the other and I love potatos.

I know what has worked for me. I don't pretend to be an expert for anyone else buddy.