• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bob Harper - Skinny Rules - 20 Tips for Successful Fat Loss

You said -"you need to find out what works for your body"and more.

But oh well

Last edited:
Bella first you were like oh its useful and now your saying you agree with bazza and its a load of rubbish now? And now your trying to explain what you first meant by going into how obese people.could benefit from it. Doesnt make much sense.

I have to agree with Buddy on this if you read the thread you have done a complete about turn on the validity of the article just cause people have posted it is bunk.

By the way it is a terrible article and the advice is bad, especially if your obese and think Bob's approach is the only way to lose weight.

Thought this was an interesting article, some points make complete sense, other's...I'm not so sure. But for anyone attempting to lose weight and lots of it - none of it can hurt :)

Celebrity trainer Bob Harper has helped contestants on The Biggest Loser US lose weight and keep it off. We take a sneak peek at Bob's new book, The Skinny Rules, in which he helps you finally shed those unwanted kilogram's, shares more than 90 delicious recipes to keep you cooking and eating skinny for life - and reveals his 20 rules for successful weight loss....

View attachment 3818

View attachment 3819

View attachment 3820

RULE 1 : WATER

Drink a large glass of water before every meal - no excuses! So I just get one glass of water a day

RULE 2 : DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES

As you drink your can of coke or fanta or sprite, consider that you are actually eating the equivalent of what should be your entire lunch. Human beings are simply not built to consume liquid calories. When you're drinking liquid calories, you're fighting 200,000 years of human history! You and coke, are not going to win! What if I add soft-drink to my Ice-Cream, now I'm eating it so that makes it better, right?

RULE 3 : EAT PROTEIN AT EVERY MEAL

Or stay hungry and grouchy! Just how much is enough? The official answer is : no one really knows. I'm going to give you what we might call the 'Skinny Recommendation' : take your weight (in lbs) and divide it in two - that's roughly how much protein you should be eating in grams a day. More research shows that consumption of a hig protein diet, with reduced high carb foods, results in better weight-control metabolism. My metabolism is F'D as I have all my daily protein in one go

RULE 4 : SLASH YOUR INTAKE OF REFINED FLOURS AND GRAINS

Grains are alot like liquid calories once your body processes them. We were not built to eat them, or at least, not in plentiful quantities. So I can't add these to my Ice-Cream and make them good?

RULE 5 : FIBRE

Eat 30-40 grams of fibre every single day It is the best seat in the house

RULE 6 : FRUIT

Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day! Yes I do, with my Ice-Cream

RULE 7 : CARBS

Get all your carbs in, in the morning. No carbs after lunch. I'm fuarked, I eat mine all at night. Are you the insulin fairy?

RULE 8 : LABELS

Learn to read food labels so you know, without doubt, what you're putting into your body! Who needs to read when you can just look at the pictures

RULE 9 : PORTION SIZES

Stop guessing portion sizes and get it right!

Studies have shown that average at-home meals have ballooned y 20 to 30 percent over the past 20 years. Practise forced portion control : stock your kitchen with foods in portions you are absolutely sure about and/or portion it out into bags or serving containers ahead of time, so that when you're hungry, you find the right sized offering, every time. If you fail to plan - you plan to fail! So this is not a game?

RULE 10 : SUGAR/SWEETENERS

No more added sweeteners, including all artificial ones too! Be your own sugar police. Enough with the artificial sweeteners ok? But if you can really stick to a teaspoon of brown sugar or a cube of sugar in your coffee or tea, step down from more of it this way : indulge yourself that teaspoon or sugar cube NO MORE than twice a day. For your cereal or oats? Add berries to sweeten things up instead! So they are the same thing?

RULE 11 : POTATOE

No more white potatoes Not sure what that food type is. I enjoy white foods

RULE 12 : VEGETARIAN

Relax. Just make one day, per week - meatless. Are you fuarking nuts! I have Meat and nuts for breakfast...

RULE 13 : FAST FOOD/FRIED FOOD

Get rid of it. It's crap for your body, your digestive system, your heart, your brain function, your hormone function - utter garbage. I eat it raw cause I'm hardcore

RULE 14 : BREAKFAST

Eat a real breakfast! You will fail at weight loss and weight control if you don't. Why? Because my experience tells me it's essental. If there is one habit all my obese contestants on The Biggest Loser have in common, it's skipping breakfast! When should you eat breakfast? I prefer that you eat it within an hour of waking and, of course, after a large glass of water! Phew, luck I eat breakfast....oh but it's 10-12 hours after getting up. So Have I just fuarked it all up??

RULE 15 : COOK!

Make your own food! Eat at least 10 meals every week AT HOME. Shit I only have 7 meals a week...

RULE 16 : SALT

Banish high salt foods! Here's how I manage my own salt intake :
* Don't use salt at the table. (Don't even put it ON the table)
* When you check a label for salt, always check the portion size as well.
* Use lemons and lemon juice to enhance the flavour of foods.
* If somethin you're cooking calls for a teaspoon of salt, start with half or a third of a teaspoon instead. You can always add more salt later, you can't take it out! If I go for a swim in the ocean and leave my mouth open...

RULE 17 : VEGETABLES

Eat them! No arguments, just do it! I enjoy Pizza

RULE 18 : GO TO BED HUNGRY

Your body will burn fat like crazy if you do. The absence of carbs in your bloodstream will let your body produce the hormones it needs for better sleep. And wth good sleep comes other benefits - muscle repair, brain-chemical balancing and increased energy during the day. You might say that sleep is nature's ultimate spa treatment and the best gift you can give your body! Opps I'm doing this one wrong. I go to sleep full as a house..

RULE 19 : SLEEP!

Sleep right! Men should pay particular attention to sleep. Studies show that sleep deprivation makes men more vulnerable to snacking and weight gain, than women. Does that include the time you spend at work

RULE 20 : RE-FEEDS

Plan on one splurge meal, every week.

I got so much flak when I started advocating this! Unlike episodic bingeing, splurge meals are an ingredient in your diet. When ou plan something, YOU are in control. And when YOU are in control of your splurge, you don't later think that you've failed.

And that puts an end to the old binge-shame-diet-binge-cycle. Is Ice-Cream a part of this?

Bob Harpers 20 Skinny Rules - extract from his book The Skinny Rules.
My response in bold :D

Last edited: