• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bodyweight routine w/ Goals

PENMAN

I have two months early next year I am setting aside to train for something...I am currently bulking and my long term goal is to get huge, however something is coming up that I need to train for and I am willing to set aside my long term goal to achieve this one.

What kind of Bodyweight routine would help improve the number of pushups, pull ups and situps I can do?

OBVIOUSLY performing these exercises will improve my total number, however what is the most efficient technique to do this? Whole body 3 or 5 days? Split? Use weights as well? "one hundred pushups routine"?

As for legs, I want to aim for an 11 on the beep test. So they will be tended to with a lot of running.

PENMAN.

pushups and pullups seem to work best by high frequency and high volume at least for myself, and my friends.

Work up to a comfortable max 3-4 times a day (or more often).

by comfortable max I mean you should be able to maintain good form all the through with a couple left in the tank.

Re-test your max every other week =)

Equivalent of Military entrance I guess.

The "Comfortable Max" 3-4+ times a day sounds the best however I want to be able to do it in a defined workout period, for example an hour. My job does not allow me the convenience of doing so while at work unfortunately.

If it's military, maybe try some of whatever you might normally do, wearing a weighted backpack. A weight vest would be OK instead.

As for bodyweight exercises, you could do chinups and pullups (various grips), lots of different pushups, dips, pistols, GHR, walking lunges, planks, bridges, hanging leg raises, situps... or whatever you like. It would all help, in some way.

You could do this stuff every day, for sure. Probably a good idea, if it IS really anything like military.

I have used a method where you take our goal number (say 100 push ups) and then you do as many push ups as you can, let's say 30 just to pick a number, have a short rest, then do as many as you can, let's say 20, then repeat till you get to 100.

So a days push up training day one might go:
30, 20, 15, 15, 10, 5, 2, 1, 1, 1 =100

Next time it might be:
35, 25, 20, 10, 10 =100

Etc etc till you can do 100.

Same applies to dips, chins, crunches etc etc.

Re the beep test a personal trainer mate of mine trained for the TOU (Tactical Operations Unit in the NSW Police Force) one of the toughest entry requirements in Australia, these guys are freaks, unfortunatly he did not pass the week long assessment, he did however pass the entry physical test that he trained for.

He said to vary where to start the beep test, don't always start at zero, start it at 6 or 7 or what ever so you can push the upper end and get used to what 10 and 11 and 12 etc feels like, then after a bit of training in the upper levels do the whole thing to test yourself, then repeat the whole cycle again.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited: