• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Am I doin' it right?

Eman

I'd like to think I've done my research, however I'd just like to get it checked over by all you gurus on here in case I've missed anything.

Weight: 74kg
Height: 173cm
Goal: Bulk

I've used Lyle Mcdonald's method to estimate maintenance calories:

• 15 x 163lb = 2,455 calories
Since I'm going for a surplus I've decided to start at 20%

• 15(x1.2) x 163lb = 2,934 calories

Now as for macro intake, I've read it's best to avoid ratios and stick to quantity instead.

• Protein: 1.5g x 163lb = 244.5g (978 cal)
  • Fat: .85g x 74kg = 63g (567 cal)
  • Carbs: Making up the rest of the calories so:-
    2,934 - 978 - 567 = 1,389 calories (/4)
    = 347g
Now, I've also heard I should have 6 meal a day to keep my metab.. lol jks.

Thanks in advance. :)

Looks like it will do as prescribed, just check your progress and reasses after a month or 2

20% seems excessive, what made you choose that?

It doesnt really matter anyway. These formulas are just very rough starting points anyway. You need to give it at a go and adjust as necessary .

Example, I would easily lose weight on the above bulking formula.

20% seems excessive, what made you choose that?

Something I read from a Lyle Mcdonald article states a recommended 10-20% surplus. I figure I'll start at the top end and work from there depending on what kind of changes I observe.

Also, in the below article, Lyle recommends 1-2.2 g/kg of fat where as my above intake is only at .85 g/kg. I believe I may have read .85 from one of Max B's posts. However, I think I'll try to maintain my intake at 63g and adjust to 118g or there abouts if I start to find it difficult.

Macronutrient Intake for Mass Gains - Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald