• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

wingman

Super M0derator
Barbell Squat : the Worst Exercise in Existence?

Have a read of this article. It's hilarious.

Cliffs:
1) Apparently our skeletal spine isnt designed to take load
2) bar is loaded a long way from intended muscle group (legs)
3) The stronger you get, the more you load the bar and therefore the more severe an injure might be

The pearler is in one of the comments where the author was asked what he thought of other lifts (deadlifts, cleans, snatches etc) and the author responded with: Those lifts belong in competitions/events; no well thought out exercise plan would contain them since they're not exercises.

The comments are great.

I don't particularly care what some guy who started a conference for men to learn about women/dating thinks about resistance training.

Wow, this author's really opened my eyes. Since there are no erector spinae muscles, deep vertebral extensors, lats, traps or ab muscles, and since bones do not adapt to loads, he's absolutely right: squatting is a terrible idea!

He's even right about leg presses. Since you don't pin your body between a seat and a sled with opposing forces coming at you from both directions, and since there is thus no load through the back, leg presses are fully safe on the spine.

BRB guys, I'm going to go start a revolutionary leg extensions/leg curls superset program. I'll be teh greatest.

Further facepalming was had when I saw the edit that he doesn't have to defend his position, that the burden of proof is on everyone else to prove that squats are safe.

No sensible person is going to try and prove that back squats are completely and utterly safe. Everyone knows that people get hurt training, even when they're doing it right (maybe not literally everyone knows this, but it's generally understood). There is an understanding amongst most sensible people that any strenuous activity can cause injury. Heck, activities don't even have to be strenuous to be risky. How many people injure themselves from walking? How many injure themselves during sex? I once put my back out for 3 days by sneezing. Even the vital act of breathing can trigger cancer. Nothing is risk-free, nothing is completely safe.

There is no need to prove that squats are "safe," we only seek to prove that Anthony 'Dream' Johnson is a hazard to the human gene pool.

Further facepalming was had when I saw the edit that he doesn't have to defend his position, that the burden of proof is on everyone else to prove that squats are safe.

Face palm is hazardous to your health... You should never hit your self in the head with the palm of your hand...

Could result in blindness or even worse... Decapitation...

Someone said that if you use proper form they're safe. He basically said most people squat for decades, you're only human, you're going to make 1 mistake in that time frame and it'll all be over.

He also added a bit about squat racks, said it might help you if you fall forward but offers nothing if you fall sideways or backwards. He says, besides, most people i see in gyms arent doing them in the squat racks. To which I reply maybe if all the fags werent using them for curls!

Face palm is hazardous to your health... You should never hit your self in the head with the palm of your hand...

Could result in blindness or even worse... Decapitation...

Does that mean certain section of this forum are deadly?

"You totally, maybe purposefully, fail to acknowledge the support functions of the spinal electors, rhombus, traps, lats and abs as if when squatting our spine is all alone to shoulder the load like a cooked spaghetti noodle"

ha ha ha some gold comments

He's one of Drew Bayes mates.

But I will say that it is the worlds worst exercise if you plan to not do it right.

I like how he says to do other options instead as they are safer and work better but didn't give examples. The other main leg exercises are even worse than the squat anyway lol

Leg press gives massive stress on the knees and on the lower back (more than the squat)
Leg extensions, enjoy snapping the shit out your acl
Squatting machines, again fucking stupid as the hips don't move back so the only option is for the knees to come forwards, say hello to your shear forces

What I find funny is that he says over a lifetime you have a 100% chance of injury if you squat ... I am sure that walking has the same 100% chance of injury over a lifetime as well. Everyone better sit down .. oh wait that will involve a Squat .. we're screwed.

Yeah pretty much anything has 100% chance of injury of you drag it out over a long enough time span.

Squats can be bad if you do it wrong, like anything. You can also be injured if you are unlucky but squats are hardly alone in this.

Thinking about it I have injured myself more times walking than I have squatting.

The more muscleture involed in an exercise the more pain it produces, it's why people prefer the leg extension or the leg press, even the deadlift is easier to perform.

The squat is just the most productive exercise working the most amount of muscle tissue, it alsO makes sense that done poorly can produce the most amount of injury.

There is no doubt in my mInd the squat is key

I like how he says to do other options instead as they are safer and work better but didn't give examples. The other main leg exercises are even worse than the squat anyway lol

Leg press gives massive stress on the knees and on the lower back (more than the squat)
Leg extensions, enjoy snapping the shit out your acl
Squatting machines, again fucking stupid as the hips don't move back so the only option is for the knees to come forwards, say hello to your shear forces

The leg press is a great exercise that builds strength in the leg and hip, if one is unable to squat, then this is a good alternative.
The leg press is a good tool for someone to build up to the squat.

Leg extensions are an excellent exercise for developing the leg and I always use and prescribe them, had excellent results.

The leg curl is an average exercise, better results from SLDL's

Some squatting machines are also an excellent alternative to squats now and again.

But like with all exercises, one must know how to use them, set them up and which machines biomechanics are best suited to them.

You've got to give yourself time to work these things out

But like you 0ni these are just tools, nothing more, nothing less.