• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit another fitness fad?

CrossFit now is completely different to what it was 2-3 years ago. Look at this years regionals and world games where the competitors were pretty heavily challenged (100kg hang cleans, snatch and clean ladder, Pendleton tri).

Like many different powerlifting gyms and Olympic lifting gyms every coach has a different style. The crossfit main site is really designed for the brand new crossfitter who hasn't really done a lot before, and although some of the programming may be questionable at times, it has its benefits. As people progress, join an affiliate or start competing we see certain styles.

For example at my affiliate, we have a strength bias, so we lift heavy 3 times a week, and some of our members do weightlifting sessions too. We believe that we can get better results with our clients by programming short and heavy. We currently don't do kipping pull ups, and our newbies won't kip until they can demonstrate at least 6 pull ups. Kipping is its own exercise and I agree when others call it out, it's not a pull up, but in crossfit comps it is what it is.

So not every gym is the same, what HQ does doesn't necessarily convey what I believe, although I agree it's most otherwise I wouldn't be affiliated.

I think it will be around for a while yet, it has it's place and what it has done for powerlifting and Olympic lifting and even gymnastics in terms of interest has been good. I know the lifters at Cougars weightlifting have close ties to many crossfit gyms, and Damon Kelly has coached at our gym, and his coach does crossfit.

For example at my affiliate, we have a strength bias, so we lift heavy 3 times a week, and some of our members do weightlifting sessions too. We believe that we can get better results with our clients by programming short and heavy.

hope glassman doesn't come around and shut u down for breaking the mould.
Ah i forgot his laughing on his way to the bank.

After see Wall Ball throws in his training log it wouldn't surprise me lol

And yes, Glassman would have to be one of the worlds better salesman

Take a look at outlaw Crossfit, Crossfit Newcastle, Crossfit border, Crossfit endurance.

All heavily strength focused. The original programming template of Crossfit called for workouts that used 2-3 exercises and last between 10-20 minutes. Anyone who knows about conditioning can probably agree this works. The problem comes when workouts are put together that constantly have lower weights and slow exercises. The prescription of large loads over long distances quickly is good, I do hate that anyone will throw Kettlebell swings and Burpees into a WOD and call it Crossfit. Guess there is t a clear line though.

I am aware of all the faults. Injuries can be avoided when programming is adjusted to suit each individual. Why handstand pushup if you cannot push up???
However I also see the massive benefits Crossfit has had on the general public and how its changing the perception of heavy lifting.

I am aware of all the faults. Injuries can be avoided when programming is adjusted to suit each individual. Why handstand pushup if you cannot push up???

Wouldn't a handstand pushup be effectively a BW overhead press?
.... challenging for most i'd say.

The fact it is challenging is my point exactly. If a beginner attempts to handstand push up, one of the scaling options widely used is to shorten the range of motion by putting abmats or bumper plates under their head. Some people are doing this without being able to do push ups from their toes.

I look at it this way, you don't do half squats, so don't do half handstand push ups.

hrmm crossfit can be funny

[YOUTUBE][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnOWfj2TW4&feature=related]CrossFit Fail Compilation - YouTube[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

Is this some sort of Crossfit event?
Jump over barbells while holding one? :)

9GzYyln_zpsceaae998.jpg

I saw this on ESPN last night...
Each bar is heavier than the last. Like a ladder of clean & press. Im not a huge fan of the sport, but I cant knock some of the lifts! Pretty impressive lifting

9GzYyln_zpsceaae998.jpg

9GzYyln_zpsceaae998.jpg

They don't jump anything while holding anything, each one is progressively heavier, so you lift one then immediately move on to the next one.

Ok I was being a kunce. I know what they are attempting. Forget form just do it the quickest... Right?

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto

Would have to be timed otherwise they'll rest too long and it would take a farrrrking long time.

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto