• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Joint inflammation

Hannibal

Joint inflammation - Fat intake?

As mentioned in other threads I have put more focus into my diet this year from high carb, low fat and low protein towards macros being more in line with recommendations for body re composition.

Since doing so I have noticed some joints have become inflamed and painful. Both knees mildly but both big toes and front inner left foot have become very painfull. When I first started noticing the pain, I did some research and came up with Omega3/6 imbalance and Soy allergy as possible causes. I have always drank Soy milk so could discount that but it got me wondering about my increased fat intake.

At present I'm aiming for ~1g of fat per kg which is about 65-70g a day (I was previously around 10-25g a day). Fats I aim for every day are (mix about to get the requirement)

10g of ground flaxseed
Sardines in springwater or olive oil, or atlantic salmon
Fish oil supplement
Boiled egg
25g of nut mix (almonds, brazils, sunflower seeds)
500ml of low fat milk or regular soy.
Quarter of an avocado.
1-2 chicken breast a week and very little red meat (100g a fortnight)
200g of low fat natural yoghurt

Rest of my diet is fruit, lots of veg, brown rice, sweet potato, wholemeal pasta, etc, pretty much what I have eaten in the past but less of.

A few weeks ago I cut the fat way back and, after a couple of days the pain slowly subsided. I have since upped fat back to minimum recommendations and the pain has come back and is not subsiding, feet are very painful to walk and unable to skip at the moment to warm up for my weight sessions. I have tried anti inflamms and pain killers and they have no affect.

Just to add I had my first cholesterol test the other week and LDL came back slightly high and I am due for a follow up test in a couple of weeks.

Obviously will be talking this over with the doctor when I head back in a couple of weeks, but was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on possible fat intake causing the problem?

Last edited:
I have had bursitis for 20 years and gout for the last few years.

Check foods high in purines.

Do you have loads of seafood?

Stop eating those foods...

Once the problem stops....Add one of those foods into your diet each week untill you figure out which one is causing the problem....

I have had bursitis for 20 years and gout for the last few years.

Check foods high in purines.

Do you have loads of seafood?

I do eat seafood regularly but mostly just sardines, salmon, and prawns with whiting, cod etc rarely depending what my partner buys. The only meat she really eats is fish/seafood so its a regular ingredient when we eat together in the evening as she does the cooking. I did a bit more reading and noticed sardines were mentioned regularly so possibly that, but will read up on purines so thanks for the mention.

Stop eating those foods...

Once the problem stops....Add one of those foods into your diet each week untill you figure out which one is causing the problem....

Thats my plan but I have always eaten those fats/foods, its just now I'm eating more to get my fat level up to suggested minimums per kg. My stumbling block is the high LDL cholesterol, I was hoping to keep my diet similar to the initial blood test for when I have a re test in about 2 and a half weeks. The fats I'm eating now I thought were the good fats so if it is still high, it will be interesting.

I doubt it's sardines. They are very good source of Omega 3, they have equivalent of 10g of fish oil in 1 can. I eat it quiet often.

Sardines were mentioned in a group of foods which can cause blood levels of uric acid rise too high and cause a problem in some people.

Article, only quickly read it this morning when reading random stuff.

Interesting article. You should check for gout. Since on one hand it recommends sardines, but I guess if you have gout then you have to find alternatives. I've arthrites and I eat lots of them + fish oil.