• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

adjustable db

sookie

Hi all
Im looking at doing some db work later down the track... Looking at buying something like this. Has anyone used these before?

What is the max weight I can load onto one db?

The rubber plates are quite thick so you can't physically fit much more weight than 40kg on each dumbell. You might be able to squeeze another 5kg plate instead of the 2.5+1.25kg, meaning you would have a max of 42.5kg. If you're serious about benching or 1-arm rows, I don't think it's enough, but it depends on your goals.

If you use metal plates instead of rubber, you can fit 57.5kg per dumbell, which will usually be enough for most people.

You have to be more careful about placing them on the ground than rubber dumbells, but you can get around this by either using rubber flooring or putting some thick rubber mats on the floor (eg cut up a single 1m square of rubber flooring tile).

Don't be fooled into thinking you can jam bigger plates (eg 10kg plates), as the dumbells become to cumbersome around your wrists. This is I would never go oly dumbells.

Hi all
Im looking at doing some db work later down the track... Looking at buying something like this. Has anyone used these before?

What is the max weight I can load onto one db?

As the add states 40kg.

Would be a nice set if you are happy with 40kg dumbbells

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I should be thinking long term and do it right the first time. I'm hoping to bench over 40kg per db within the next few years.

how are the adjustable dbs? Are they safe for pull overs and exercises that are similar? Last thing I want is a db plate smashing my head.

Just make sure they are done up tight and they will be fine.

I have fixes dumbbells but only up to 25kg (55lb) as I like the convenience, and I only use them for accessories work and higher rep work.

To be honest a 25kg dumbbell is fairly heavy, and I recon anything heavier than a 40kg db would be very hard to handle for anyone except th strongest lifter.

I use barbells for all my heavy work.

I think the 40kg ones you are looking at will last you a long time. Alternatively get a machine shop to make you some longer handles for those heavy lifts once you outgrow what you have.

Last edited:
To be honest a 25kg dumbbell is fairly heavy, and I recon anything heavier than a 40kg db would be very hard to handle for anyone except th strongest lifter.

You would be suprised how quickly you can start benching 40kg DB's. The 120kg set (2x60's) in steel would be the go.

You would be suprised how quickly you can start benching 40kg DB's. The 120kg set (2x60's) in steel would be the go.

I am with Brick. All that will happen is you have to replace to 40kg ones in the future.

Just pay the extra 100 bucks now and be done with it. 40kg DBs are not really that heavy.

Depends what you want to do, I can bench 40kg dumbells now, but I use a barbell for benching and then follow up with dumbbell flyers or presses while fatigued already. I find using heavy low rep dumbbell work uncomfortable personally.

But you are correct it depends what you want to do with them, the 120kg set looks good as well, all my weights and dumbbells are steel anyway so it would not phase me to have steel ones.

Does a heavier than 40KG adjustable spinlock rubber set exist? .. I'd prefer rubber for dumbbells if possible, but can already knock out a couple bench reps with 40's on a good day.

Depends what you want to do, I can bench 40kg dumbells now, but I use a barbell for benching and then follow up with dumbbell flyers or presses while fatigued already. I find using heavy low rep dumbbell work uncomfortable personally.

What about one arm rows?

Last edited:
how are the adjustable dbs? Are they safe for pull overs and exercises that are similar? Last thing I want is a db plate smashing my head.

Personally I would not use Oly adjustable DBs for just that reason. I am also looking for some larger size adjustable DBs (or fixed but they are very $).
I am constantly hunting for a second hand pair at the moment and would love to score a set of Ironmaster adjustables but so far my 1st choice is the 120kg hammer tone adjustables from GymDirect which I am currently saving up for. After the Ausbb discount they are a worthy investment in my opinion.

Personally I would not use Oly adjustable DBs for just that reason. I am also looking for some larger size adjustable DBs (or fixed but they are very $).
I am constantly hunting for a second hand pair at the moment and would love to score a set of Ironmaster adjustables but so far my 1st choice is the 120kg hammer tone adjustables from GymDirect which I am currently saving up for. After the Ausbb discount they are a worthy investment in my opinion.

Spinlocks though, which in my opinion are a good option for everything except presses where you want to stage the dumbbells on your legs (it might just be me, but i stick the ends of the bars in my legs all the time)

Spinlocks though, which in my opinion are a good option for everything except presses where you want to stage the dumbbells on your legs (it might just be me, but i stick the ends of the bars in my legs all the time)

One thing I have tried before which does minimise the discomfort of this is kind of rolling/folding a towel along the short edge and place that across your knees, then but the DB ends on the towel before you kick them up.
If you have a rack/cage/squat stand, power hooks are also great as they remove the initial eccentric effort before you actually begin your lift altogether.