• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5 x 5 beginner workout routine

The Complete 5 X 5 Workout Routine And Guide:

Do you want to get rid of your moobs(Male Breasts) develop rock-hard abs and a sculpted chest? Than let me introduce you to an effective lifting routine that will help you reach those goals.

The 5 x 5 beginner workout routine.

If you are looking to rebuild your body then what I am about to reveal to you is definitely the best thing you can do for yourself. This routine is a minimalist approach to weight lifting. You will gain more with less effort by working smarter and not harder. However, be ready to put in the time and effort , nothing happens over night , it will take time and patience to develop the body that you want.

This beginner 5 x 5 weight lifting routine is composed of 3 exercises. Each of these exercises are considered compound exercises because they basically work the entire body. They are the dead-lift, the squat and the bench press.

All that is required is 3 simple exercises and that's it! The strategy is simple. Each day of the routine you only need to do one exercise with 5 sets of 5 repetitions.

If you are starting out in muscle building , choose a moderate comfortable weight. A weight that is heavier enought that youcan lift but also heavy enough that you wouldn't be able to do 7 reps. The aim being that we e are not maxing out your muscles but much rather we are lifting just enough that 5 reps will build muscle.You will spend you first week trying to gauge your starting weight.

So, if you are able to do all 5 repetitions in 5 sets, the following week when you repeat the exercise add another plate or two. and repeat this the following week.

The other great thing about this workout is that you are able to take longer breaks between the sets. If you want you can take 2 to 5 minute breaks .

I highly recommend you carry a small note pad to record the weight that you are lifting and your progress.

Once you've determined your starting lifting weight then you can begin. When you advance in the amount of weight you can lift, don't worry if you can't hit 5 repetitions for each set.

You may end up doing just 5, 5, 4, 4, 3. Keep that weight until you hit all 5 reps for each set. Once you hit your target then next week you will add more plates and continue. Remember to record everything, take long breaks in between sets and stretch thoroughly.

Beginner 5 X 5 Workout Routine Schedule

In this Beginner 5 X 5 Workout it is ideal that you dead-lift once a week. Where as with the squats and bench press part of the workout should be done twice a week. With one heavy and one light workout for each On the "light workout" days do only 5 sets with 4 repetitions with 80% of your heavy day weight

Eg: If you lift 100kgs on your heavy day, on your light day lift 80kgs. Why you ask? The light workout days are there for improving techique rather then building muscle. An example workout could consist of something like below:

MON- heavy bench press

TUE-heavy squat

WED- dead-lift

THU- light squat

FRI- light bench press

with saturday and sundays being rest days

Beginner 5 X 5 Workoute Concerns Q And A

Q: Can these exercises really work out the entire body?

A: Yes. These exercises are known as compound exercises because many different muscle groups are used to perform the exercises

Q: How do I do these exercises?

A: Check out these vids on how to perform these exercises safely. Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift.

Q: What if I don't have a spotter to help me when I am lifting heavy weight?

A: When doing squats or bench press without a training partner, consider doing the lifts inside the squat or power rack

While this Beginner 5 X 5 Workout looks like you slacking off due to the simplicity of it , keep in mind that less is more .

I hear you saying what about my biceps i want BIG GUNS!!, With this 5 x 5 workout routine those too with get worked out These three simple exercises give your body a TOTAL workout. Don't doubt that! Once you try it, you'll see what I mean.

bodybuildingdownunder.com

Why do in 5 days what can be done in 3?

No chins, no dips, no ohp.

Last edited:
5 x 5

ditch all the rest of it and simply go 5 x 5 on your compound lifts.

find the right starting weight and go from there. moving up in small increments is key.

complete 5 sets of 5 reps with a weight and then add a bit to the bar next workout. simple.

if you get stuck or dont make all the reps then stay on the same weight next workout and push for more reps like 5 x 6

fractional plates can come in handy or just make up 4 extra weights with 250g of steel nuts and loop some wire through the hole to go on the bar.

sometimes the weight can't move up a kilo every week

Can't say I have mate. Have heard of it but not big on self help stuff.

The philosophy of the book is good. Why do 5 days worth of work, when u can do it in 3. Strip out the parts that are time wasting for starters
. I highly recommend it. Also worth a read is 'the 7 habits of highly effective prople'.

The philosophy of the book is good. Why do 5 days worth of work, when u can do it in 3. Strip out the parts that are time wasting for starters
. I highly recommend it. Also worth a read is 'the 7 habits of highly effective prople'.

One of those things that sounds great in theory but putting it into practice is a different story.

Deadlifts the day after heavy squats? I don't think so. There needs to be some more rest days inserted into the middle of the program.

Deadlifts the day after heavy squats? I don't think so. There needs to be some more rest days inserted into the middle of the program.

This. The original Bill Star programs are legit. SS, Madcow variation etc. No need for anything else.