• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting down to business with one of the best upper body mass builders.

Fadi

Ask anyone about an exercise to help you build some serious mass on your lower body, and inevitably the squat would be highly recommended. Well, if your wish is to add some serious muscles on your upper torso, then one of the old favourites of bodybuilders is the D/bell pullovers across a bench.

329201074525pm.jpg

Some may say that they don’t really feel a direct muscle burn the next day. Others may object that they don’t really know which muscles this powerhouse of an exercise really targets. Here’s the good news: I belonged to both of these groups when I was treating this exercise just like any other. However things took a drastic turn for the best when I decided to inject some real life into this beast. Here’s what I did and I was at my heaviest best (90kg at 165cm tall) at the time of training in such a way.

You pick a d/bell you can do 20 reps with and you aim to do 8x8. Ah, but there’s two ways you can do this and I do prefer one over the other. But before we get to that, l want to stress that the rest intervals between these eight sets is going to be no longer than exactly 30 seconds, period! We’re going to fry our muscles so deep that you’re going to feel muscles that you didn’t know you had within the following 36 hours post training. To say that the long head (the meaty part) of your triceps would be screaming with pain or your teres major making you feel as if you’ve stuffed a book under your armpits would be an understatement indeed.

Now to the way I prefer to blast these combination of muscles and to the way I found best in stimulating them deep within.

Okay, 8x8 is what is required. 30 seconds break is maximum time taken between sets. What I like to do here is to actually perform the full 20 reps on my first set, that’s right. All the way to 20 reps (which is = to 20RM), i.e. 100% effort!

Post the first set of 20, your reps would take a sharp dive south which is predictable and understandable. As long as you don’t go below 8 reps irrespective of come what may then all would be fine. That means if you have to introduce some rest-pause reps in order to finish the set then so be it. However I don’t think it should get to that though, not with a weight you could manage 20 reps with.

The 30 seconds rest intervals are going to give you about a 73%-75% recovery in peak power output, which is just enough to get the job done while simultaneously placing your muscle fibers under enough stress to cause some serious and new adaptation to occur. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm That in bodybuilding language = more muscle mass!

What should you feel after the 8 sets are done and dusted? You should feel as if someone has just hit you with a 4x2 across both your back and chest areas.

13-347x500.jpg

So here’s the plan. Walk into the gym and do nothing but these 8 sets for your upper body, then perform squats if you wish for your lower body and get the hell out of that iron dungeon. You’re well and truly done for that day with only these two exercises!

Give it a go and let me know how you do. All the best and thank you for reading.

PS: Nearly forgot, here's what's going to get hammered!

1. Lats
2. Chest
3. Triceps (long head)
4. Teres major
5. Serratus anterior
6. Parts of your shoulders
7. Obliques
8. Abs
9. And possibly some other muscles not listed above.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thank for the read first off, secondly I'm doing 3 x 12 at the moment with an eazy curl bar instead of a dumbbell, is that still kosher for this exercise or should l switch to a dumbbell?

This is an all but forgotten exercise Fadi, one that I loved doing but haven't done in quite a long time, my preference was to lie across the bench keeping my backside lower than the bench for a complete stretch.
Thanks for posting this, you've just reminded me to add them again to my routine!

Last edited:
I have always loved the pullover - it feels llike it is opening up my ribcage like no other exercise..

I have the same question as KFG: is the barbell pullover the same as the dumbell pullover?

What about pullovers using a low pulley cable? This would overcome the main issuue with db and bb pullovers where the latter two get much easier after about sixty degrees above the horizontal.

Thank for the read first off, secondly I'm doing 3 x 12 at the moment with an eazy curl bar instead of a dumbbell, is that still kosher for this exercise or should l switch to a dumbbell?

Gooman, I found that you have better control with the weight close to your hands using a dumbell, plus a better stretch.
Try both and see which one feels better for you or alternate them in your routine.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, we’re all built slightly differently. I for one feel very uncomfortable with a barbell and I much prefer performing the pullovers with a d/bell across the bench instead of lying on it length wise.

Each to his or her own really, for as long as you feel those muscles deep within screaming at you, then go ahead and choose your preferred way of blasting those myriad of muscle worked by this oldie but goodie of an exercise.

Fadi.

Thanks for posting this fadi I will be adding this to my workout starting later today it looks like it will be a killer I can't wait

Thanks for posting this fadi I will be adding this to my workout starting later today it looks like it will be a killer I can't wait
Thank you for reading it Sir. Please let me know how you go okay. Take care.

Fadi.

Gentlemen, we’re all built slightly differently. I for one feel very uncomfortable with a barbell and I much prefer performing the pullovers with a d/bell across the bench instead of lying on it length wise.

Each to his or her own really, for as long as you feel those muscles deep within screaming at you, then go ahead and choose your preferred way of blasting those myriad of muscle worked by this oldie but goodie of an exercise.

Fadi.

Fadi, I too prefer the dumbell - it just feels a more powerful movement. However, I have been using a bb for practical reasons. First, I only have dumbells with spring collars. After one heavy pullover set with the dbells I found that the collar had slipped and I had almost gotten a face full of plates. The same thing happened with screw clamp collars. I think dbells with spin lock collars should be ppreferred for this exercise. Second, bbells will allow much greater weight to be used. I found with dbells, when I progressed to ten kilo plates, I kept hitting myself in the back of the head. Doh!

the low pulley cable provides a good alternative because it will keep the tension fairly constant through the whole rom. It can be done either on the floor or across a low bench. Give them a try sometiime - you might like it.

I find that, like most movements, it is easy to cheat on the pullover. First, you can use a lot of momentum to swing the weight up which is fine if it is controlled. However, the pullover puts the shoulder into an extreme stretch at the point where force is applied. Thus, for those with shoulder problems, I recommend pausing at the bottom to eliminate momentum and to make sure the shoulders don't over stretch.

second way to cheat is to contract the abs hard like a mini crunch when bringing the weight up. Also not a problem if that is what is wanted. Butg for strict form, the torso should be kept as straight as possible.

just my thoughts for your consideration on this fab exercise.

cheers
damian

Fadi, I too prefer the dumbell - it just feels a more powerful movement. However, I have been using a bb for practical reasons. First, I only have dumbells with spring collars. After one heavy pullover set with the dbells I found that the collar had slipped and I had almost gotten a face full of plates. The same thing happened with screw clamp collars. I think dbells with spin lock collars should be ppreferred for this exercise. Second, bbells will allow much greater weight to be used. I found with dbells, when I progressed to ten kilo plates, I kept hitting myself in the back of the head. Doh!

the low pulley cable provides a good alternative because it will keep the tension fairly constant through the whole rom. It can be done either on the floor or across a low bench. Give them a try sometiime - you might like it.

I find that, like most movements, it is easy to cheat on the pullover. First, you can use a lot of momentum to swing the weight up which is fine if it is controlled. However, the pullover puts the shoulder into an extreme stretch at the point where force is applied. Thus, for those with shoulder problems, I recommend pausing at the bottom to eliminate momentum and to make sure the shoulders don't over stretch.

second way to cheat is to contract the abs hard like a mini crunch when bringing the weight up. Also not a problem if that is what is wanted. Butg for strict form, the torso should be kept as straight as possible.

just my thoughts for your consideration on this fab exercise.

cheers
damian

Damian, I really do appreciate you taking the time to put your views forward Sir.

What you have shared with us above is very reasonable. I would just like to put my point of view re few points however.

1. Heavy weights
2. The stretch

As for lifting heavy when performing the pullover, it would not be something that I would favour or encourage. The reason has more to do with the nature of the exercise than anything else. I’m speaking of the stretch that one finds his body subjected to. Torn or pulled muscles are something that I would do anything to avoid and prevent from occurring in the first place.

When performing any bodybuilding exercise that has an accentuated muscle stretch as part of the exercise, I would always aim to limit the amount of weight lifted and search instead for ways to place more stress on the muscles in order to fill that “heavy weight usage” gap.

A very well known exercise that comes to mind here would be the barbell preacher curl exercise. With its stretch at the lowest line of travel, the biceps are placed under extraordinary stress and therefore are in a very vulnerable position to injury. Hence, the bodybuilder would have to employ a different strategy to up the intensity without increasing or rather without full reliance on the amount of weight lifted to be the sole or main factor in positively and fully stimulating his muscles.

At times, one can avoid the full stretch altogether. For example, one can avoid the full lowering of a d/bell during the triceps French curl exercise. An alternative of course, would be to reduce the weight and work on other factors to up the intensity in order (again) to avoid and prevent injury. I know I keep on stressing and focusing on injuries, but I know from experience that these nemesises are not something you’d ever want to be acquainted with.

Damien, you speak of the usage of the cables and the way they are able to maintain stress on the muscles involved throughout the line of travel. I’m all for cables, that is why I have them as part of my home gym. However when it comes to cable pullovers, I would have to say (again) based on our slightly different body structures/mechanics, give it a go and see if it’s for you or not. But what you have reasoned re the keeping the muscles under stress throughout the exercise is 100% on the money Damien. My favourite machine for triceps work is none other than the trusted cable machine as I not only find that it keeps the muscle under tension, but I also find it very easy on my joints. However for the pullovers, my tool f choice (and this is personal) is the d/bell.

Fadi.

Upper body squat

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24SgSQmDP4&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Nautilus Pullover: Casey Viator - YouTube[/ame]

Damian, I really do appreciate you taking the time to put your views forward Sir.

What you have shared with us above is very reasonable. I would just like to put my point of view re few points however.

1. Heavy weights
2. The stretch

As for lifting heavy when performing the pullover, it would not be something that I would favour or encourage. The reason has more to do with the nature of the exercise than anything else. I’m speaking of the stretch that one finds his body subjected to. Torn or pulled muscles are something that I would do anything to avoid and prevent from occurring in the first place.

When performing any bodybuilding exercise that has an accentuated muscle stretch as part of the exercise, I would always aim to limit the amount of weight lifted and search instead for ways to place more stress on the muscles in order to fill that “heavy weight usage” gap.

A very well known exercise that comes to mind here would be the barbell preacher curl exercise. With its stretch at the lowest line of travel, the biceps are placed under extraordinary stress and therefore are in a very vulnerable position to injury. Hence, the bodybuilder would have to employ a different strategy to up the intensity without increasing or rather without full reliance on the amount of weight lifted to be the sole or main factor in positively and fully stimulating his muscles.

At times, one can avoid the full stretch altogether. For example, one can avoid the full lowering of a d/bell during the triceps French curl exercise. An alternative of course, would be to reduce the weight and work on other factors to up the intensity in order (again) to avoid and prevent injury. I know I keep on stressing and focusing on injuries, but I know from experience that these nemesises are not something you’d ever want to be acquainted with.

Damien, you speak of the usage of the cables and the way they are able to maintain stress on the muscles involved throughout the line of travel. I’m all for cables, that is why I have them as part of my home gym. However when it comes to cable pullovers, I would have to say (again) based on our slightly different body structures/mechanics, give it a go and see if it’s for you or not. But what you have reasoned re the keeping the muscles under stress throughout the exercise is 100% on the money Damien. My favourite machine for triceps work is none other than the trusted cable machine as I not only find that it keeps the muscle under tension, but I also find it very easy on my joints. However for the pullovers, my tool f choice (and this is personal) is the d/bell.

Fadi.

Fadi,

I agree with you, esp. your comments about avoiding injuries. My preference is to stop short of the fully stretched position as you have discussed above. I read somewhere that stressing the fully stretched position doesn't improve strength or hypertrophy, anyway (at least I think I read that, but I could be making it up), so there isn't any need to go full rom possible. What it does mean, though, is that the weight must be under control at all times. Unfortunately a pause at the bottom will eliminate the stretch reflex,but I think this is a small price to pay for the safety improvement.

in regards to using a cable, I just wanted to throw it out there as a legit variation that has some uniique properties.

Also on safety, now that I think about it, fixed dumbells would be much safer than adjustable dbells (just adding this comment to my earlier ramblings about safety when using the dumbells).

cheers
damian

Can you find that article?

Yeah I did, I don't k ow which one is better.

I do both + presses - can't go wrong I reckon.

Re the article, do you mean about brook's comments about the nautilus? If yes, it is in his book Gray Hair and Black Iron on pages 81 and 82

I do both + presses - can't go wrong I reckon.

Re the article, do you mean about brook's comments about the nautilus? If yes, it is in his book Gray Hair and Black Iron on pages 81 and 82

Yeah, I do, I always find it intredasting when I bloke calls-out and blames one particular exercise for their injury.
Thanks.