• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting down to business with one of the best upper body mass builders.

Does anyone else feel there shoulder/s getting jacked doing this? l've been doing these for 6-8ish weeks and my left shoulder is starting to feel like shit when im in the bottom or the motion.... Am l just doing this wrong?

What does jacked mean foo?

What's your hand spacing, have you tried different widths?

Based on what I've felt when doing pullovers and what I've read (including I believe in Fadi's original post): the closer to, and further beyond parallel that you go, the greater the strain will be on your shoulders. Other than making the adjustment's Goosey suggested, which I haven't tested, another alternative is to start the weight much lighter with a full ROM. I wonder whether building your rotator cuffs up would help.

I love these but I definitely don't let my arms go too low or I start to feel it in the shoulders.

What does jacked mean foo?

What's your hand spacing, have you tried different widths?

Apologies, jacked = fucked more or less.... My hand spacing is fairly narrow on a preacher bar, l did however get some lock jaw collars the other day so l might try the dumbbell variation next week...

Based on what I've felt when doing pullovers and what I've read (including I believe in Fadi's original post): the closer to, and further beyond parallel that you go, the greater the strain will be on your shoulders. Other than making the adjustment's Goosey suggested, which I haven't tested, another alternative is to start the weight much lighter with a full ROM. I wonder whether building your rotator cuffs up would help.

I love these but I definitely don't let my arms go too low or I start to feel it in the shoulders.

l might try reduce the ROM a little bit and just got around parallel. Its weird though because my right shoulder the rotator cuff is completely fucked and l dont feel anything bad but my left is 'okay' and its feeling shit.

There shouldn't be any restrictive movement in the shoulder (upright rows, impingement)
But it's not the exercise but more -so the angle of the arm to the torso which. Ore often than not is between 30~40 degreee.

So try this, seated, with your arms directly in front of you, down by your waist as in a pullover bring the arm up over your head, you'll feel restrictive movement... Now move your arms at differing angles until you feel no restrictive movement from full contraction to full extension, when you do find it, that is you preferred grip spacing for movements around the shoulder.

Don't shorten the range or try to work round an injury, exercise is designed to increase ones flexibility, not reduce it.

This explains it very well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHs_peIheJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player]The Congruent Chin Up - YouTube[/ame]

There shouldn't be any restrictive movement in the shoulder (upright rows, impingement)
But it's not the exercise but more -so the angle of the arm to the torso which. Ore often than not is between 30~40 degreee.

So try this, seated, with your arms directly in front of you, down by your waist as in a pullover bring the arm up over your head, you'll feel restrictive movement... Now move your arms at differing angles until you feel no restrictive movement from full contraction to full extension, when you do find it, that is you preferred grip spacing for movements around the shoulder.

Don't shorten the range or try to work round an injury, exercise is designed to increase ones flexibility, not reduce it.

Hmm so would you say that it is worth dropping the weight and building up your strength in a full ROM (irrespective of preferred grip spacing) OR is it better to find the preferred grip spacing and use the full ROM from that position? (which may require dropping the weight a bit).

Just curious because not just on DB pullovers, but on chest flies/presses and OHP's, people (including myself) tend not to do a full ROM because you're taught (by bro's/pt's) that if you go right down deep at the bottom of the movement you will put alot of strain on your shoulders (ie your elbows going past your shoulders).

Hmm so would you say that it is worth dropping the weight and building up your strength in a full ROM (irrespective of preferred grip spacing) OR is it better to find the preferred grip spacing and use the full ROM from that position? (which may require dropping the weight a bit).

Just curious because not just on DB pullovers, but on chest flies/presses and OHP's, people (including myself) tend not to do a full ROM because you're taught (by bro's/pt's) that if you go right down deep at the bottom of the movement you will put alot of strain on your shoulders (ie your elbows going past your shoulders).

It's very irritating to see someone stop short on the press, everyone does it.
Your arms should be, must be down by your side at the end of the movement, we talk a lot about the top of the movement.

But, "proper exercise" is about building strength, not showing it.

Cool thanks.

One more question (in 2 parts), how long have you been lifting (I recall you saying somewhere that you have been squatting for 20 years)? If so, would you say that doing a full ROM on presses etc has had any impact on your shoulders?

Cool thanks.

One more question (in 2 parts), how long have you been lifting (I recall you saying somewhere that you have been squatting for 20 years)? If so, would you say that doing a full ROM on presses etc has had any impact on your shoulders?

That is correct.

Full ROM on the press.
For most, I think using DBells is the way to go, especially for the bloke who has a barrel chest.
The barbell is just too restrictive to do full range of movement.

As you can see in this video, the trainee uses the lateral raise as a pre exhaust and help achieve full range of movement of the shoulder girdle safely.

Although he moving way too fast on the negative for my liking.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtBzDqYIYZU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Original Nautilus Pre Exhust Delt Machine - YouTube[/ame]

I've got one of these, people call it the torture chamber, it's very intense.