• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Obesity: Genetic or Poor lifestyle choices

lonesoldier

Continued from Relationship Thread....

That came out harsh, what i mean is that i hate those sort of fat people that james mentioned, that think its cool to be fat and eat heaps of fast food and get jelous of thin people instead of going out and busting there ass in the gym,instead they are sitting on the couch watching tv and then they wanna be treated like equals.... fuck that they dont deserve it.

Again the overweight people that have bad genetics that are trying to lose weight and eat healthy i have respect for, but the fat people like i mentioned that bitch and whine that they werent born thin so they have that fuck that attitude and continue to eat fast food, sit on the couch all day and bitch and have hatrid towards thin fit people............ no offence but i hate them with a passion, they are SCUM.

Last edited by a moderator:
That came out harsh, what i mean is that i hate those sort of fat people that james mentioned, that think its cool to be fat and eat heaps of fast food and shit.

Nothing wrong with that unless they try and force their views upon you, or treat you badly because you think differently. Their body and their life.

My whole family is fat....100kgs +

I'm 55kgs. There's no fat gene. Its lack of diet control and exercise.

My whole family is fat....100kgs +

I'm 55kgs. There's no fat gene. Its lack of diet control and exercise.

No there are genes that contribute to making it easier for some people to put on fat rather than others. Most people are fatter due to lack of control but this also comes on top of genes that enhance appetites, enforce emotional eating, lower metabolic rates, thyroid disorders etc etc.

Uneducated generalizations like yours do not help those who do actually have issues.

No there are genes that contribute to making it easier for some people to put on fat rather than others. Most people are fatter due to lack of control but this also comes on top of genes that enhance appetites, enforce emotional eating, lower metabolic rates, thyroid disorders etc etc.

Uneducated generalizations like yours do not help those who do actually make excuses .
Fxed

Agree to disagree, I've been on both sides of the fence.
I gained from unhealthy over eating and no exercise.
I lost from diet control and exercise.
I only need to look at family parties I go to where they go back for multiple plates of food and shovel the lot in with 2 helpings of dessert. Then sit on the lounge all afternoon because theyre so full. Watched this my whole life.

People who look into fat genes and produce scientific evidence that explain obesity, are people making excuses for people making excuses.....

Calories in = calories out.

Last edited:
Agree I know a lot of people that make every excuse under the sun for being fat. All of them eat way to much and move to little, it's a pretty simple equation to work out.

kohberg_01-528x478.jpg
:D

Reactions: kaz
Agree to disagree, I've been on both sides of the fence.
I gained from unhealthy over eating and no exercise.
I lost from diet control and exercise.
I only need to look at family parties I go to where they go back for multiple plates of food and shovel the lot in with 2 helpings of dessert. Then sit on the lounge all afternoon because theyre so full. Watched this my whole life.

People who look into fat genes and produce scientific evidence that explain obesity, are people making excuses for people making excuses.....

Calories in = calories out.

I'd have to agree with this. As a 90kg male, I'm the lightest person in my extended family, females included. Shovel food in, shovel dessert in, lounge around rest of the day. :(

Actually, folks, it's not just about genetics or poor choices.

I have two friends who eat really healthy, workout 4-5 times per week with good programs and drink plenty of water. Both of them will never lose weight and be slim.

One has a thyroid problem for which she will be on medication for the rest of her life. As a result, there is a limit to the weight loss she has achieved. She is both fit and very healthy but would be classed as overweight, technically.

The other has another condition regarding protein enzymes (i have no idea how to explain it) but same deal essentially. She works out like a machine and eats even healthier. She is super healthy and fit but will always be overweight because of her condition. There is no medication for her to take. All she can do is keep up her good lifestyle choices.

So generalisations about fat people being lazy or uneducated are rather uninformed. There are lots of reasons for which people struggle with weight. it's not always about excuses. Some people work really hard to stay fit and healthy but will always struggle.

I have a lot of empathy and respect for those two gals and anyone in their predicament.

Actually, folks, it's not just about genetics or poor choices.

I have two friends who eat really healthy, workout 4-5 times per week with good programs and drink plenty of water. Both of them will never lose weight and be slim.

One has a thyroid problem for which she will be on medication for the rest of her life. As a result, there is a limit to the weight loss she has achieved. She is both fit and very healthy but would be classed as overweight, technically.

The other has another condition regarding protein enzymes (i have no idea how to explain it) but same deal essentially. She works out like a machine and eats even healthier. She is super healthy and fit but will always be overweight because of her condition. There is no medication for her to take. All she can do is keep up her good lifestyle choices.

So generalisations about fat people being lazy or uneducated are rather uninformed. There are lots of reasons for which people struggle with weight. it's not always about excuses. Some people work really hard to stay fit and healthy but will always struggle.

I have a lot of empathy and respect for those two gals and anyone in their predicament.

Thank you for someone providing a reasoned argument from both sides. How many of you have worked with people in regards to health? I know many people, probably 90% or more, could keep it all off with discipline and control but there are others with disorders, genetic or otherwise who actually have issues.

Basing your opinion on the limited evidence of your family is really stretching the facts. Obviously your family are not disciplined and therefore that is their reasoning. Maybe they have a genetically slower metabolism but it is not that big of an issue, maybe they have a gene that leads them to emotional eating but they just need to have that bit more control than others. These genetic issues that can lead to obesity can be controlled with discipline and self control yet some people are not so lucky. Some get thyroid disorders, such as one of my clients, that create an environment where it is so easy to overeat that they find it extremely hard to lose weight.

Why wouldn't somebody with a Thyroid disorder lose weight with a controlled diet and medication?
(Going to move to its own thread)

Why wouldn't somebody with a Thyroid disorder lose weight with a controlled diet and medication?
(Going to move to its own thread)

I am interested in this as well.

You can't cheat the laws of physics. If your eating only 1000 calories a day and burning 3000+ the energy has to come from somewhere. They can't just magically stay fat on way below maintenance calories. It would basically be a scientific miracle.

It's is harder for people with an underactive thyroid to lose weight. When you're hypothyroid, the metabolism slows down completely and there are significant changes to the endocrine system that can make losing weight incredibly difficult for these people.

Hypothyroidism :

Hypothyroidism causes your body to use less oxygen and produce less body heat, which means it's burning calories at a slower pace. Systems in your body that burn calories when your body is at rest, such as digestion, breathing or blood circulation, become incredibly sluggish and use fewer calories, making it much harder for people to lose weight.

You guys tried eating 800 calories a day? One of my clients can not lose on 1200kcals a day. Just because it can be worked out theoretically does not mean it is easy to do.