• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Obesity: Genetic or Poor lifestyle choices

Google "why are thin people not fat?"
Thin "genes." One lucky guy got "Adonis" genes. (dude ate more, didn't exercise and body weight stayed same. Dexa showed fat down and muscle up.)
Interesting corollary to the main question in this article.

I have read research in the past re "thrifty" genes. That is about tendencies, not excuses.
In someone with thrifty genes, dieting reduces muscle mass and preserves fat stores. BMR is reduced. Becomes very hard to lose "weight."

Doesn't answer the question, "how many fat ppl have screwed up hormones because they are fat?" (rather than the other way around.

I think we can all agree that

• some people are overweight/obese through poor lifestyle choices and they could eat better & less + move more and get benefits of doing so,
  • some people have medical conditions that adversely impact their ability to lose weight (be they related to hormonal functions, enzymes, thyroid function etc) and that medication for some conditions only address part of the problem, but not weight and
  • some people react to specific medications by gaining weight or retaining fluid etc that is hard to address through modified lifestyle choices AND
  • some people may or may not have a genetic predisposition to weight gain or loss
For the first three, there is plenty of evidence and confirmation out there that these things occur. For the gene theory, ongoing research may one day confirm or deny this. For now, there is some evidence this might be true.

My father would eat cake/dessert for B, L and D and then some. His diet is hardly that which one would consider to be high in veg, low in refined carbs and saturated fat. His blood work is always perfect and he is perpetually slim. In fact, like me, he can lose weight just by thinking about it but finds it hard to gain. If that's genetic, and you could bottle it, you'd be a gazillionaire :D

Reactions: kaz
In short most people get fat due to other reasons than really bad genetics. There are others who are not so lucky, but they are much more rare. Genetics can place you in a situation where getting fatter is easier but that is an excuse for most that self discipline and control can rectify.

Drugs and psychological issues can cause issues and these usually need to be treated before significant and maintained weightloss can occur. They are still only problems to overcome and will not make some magically stay fat, just make it easier.

And Andy's point of not judging is a good one but usually hard to do with some of the things seen (see Sticky's post). Though you still don't know all tge facts and this person MAY have a severe depressive illness etc that leads to severe emotional non rational eating.

In short the whole reason this started as people like to make assumptions without full knowledge of the situation. In regards to someone being fat you don't know all information and there may be many different factors that come into play.

How dare you summarize when I am summarizing Vivian! And to make it worse you took 20 minutes less than me whilst I was screwing around doing it.

Not happy!

Reactions: kaz
Im sorry, but if your fat, for whatever reason, you should not eat shit foods.

If you hang out at maccas, you will be judged.

This and,

People that go through Drive-Thru and order a Large Quarter Pounder Meal with a DIET Coke.

Fat people have PLENTY of excuses.

I used to have a heap myself.

Classic Excuses that people make:

1- I don't have time to exercise. (a 1 hour workout is 4% of your day)

2- I put on weight after I was pregnant. (Oh, you ate like a friggin pig when you were pregnant you mean?)

This and,

People that go through Drive-Thru and order a Large Quarter Pounder Meal with a DIET Coke.

Fat people have PLENTY of excuses.

I used to have a heap myself.

Classic Excuses that people make:

1- I don't have time to exercise. (a 1 hour workout is 4% of your day)

2- I put on weight after I was pregnant. (Oh, you ate like a friggin pig when you were pregnant you mean?)

Nothing wrong with havin a diet coke with your Maccas. Few hundred less calories. It's more the people that have a diet coke thinking it cancels out the calories of everything else they eat.

how can you say that though?

I really have no idea why people become very overweight, it's the same with someone sticking a needle in their arm, I'm not them.

People I know who are close to me and that are overweight I find it really difficult.

But I know that being open (and i want to) and calling them fat is not going to inspire them.

Actually, folks, it's not just about genetics or poor choices.

I have two friends who eat really healthy, workout 4-5 times per week with good programs and drink plenty of water. Both of them will never lose weight and be slim.

One has a thyroid problem for which she will be on medication for the rest of her life. As a result, there is a limit to the weight loss she has achieved. She is both fit and very healthy but would be classed as overweight, technically.

The other has another condition regarding protein enzymes (i have no idea how to explain it) but same deal essentially. She works out like a machine and eats even healthier. She is super healthy and fit but will always be overweight because of her condition. There is no medication for her to take. All she can do is keep up her good lifestyle choices.

So generalisations about fat people being lazy or uneducated are rather uninformed. There are lots of reasons for which people struggle with weight. it's not always about excuses. Some people work really hard to stay fit and healthy but will always struggle.

I have a lot of empathy and respect for those two gals and anyone in their predicament.

Yer thats fair enough mate, like i said in my post... i have respect for those doing something about it. Saw this really fat chick in the grocey store today (she was probly in her late 20s or earlly 30s) her grocery trolley was full of shit like coke, chips, sausage rolls and crap. Made me fuckin sick to my stomach. Anyway she was standing in the middle of the ile and people wanted to get through and someone said excuse me and she moved out of the way with a grumpy look on her face..... made me fuckin laugh.

Some people are more senstivie to carbs than others, as a result, if you fall into that category you need to watch what carbs you eat otherwise you end up looking like the Michelin man. Nutrient timing would also play a big role in managing your fat level if you are carb-sensitive - i.e. eat your carbs in the morning and or before or straight after a workout, not before you go to sleep.

Last edited:
im pretty sensitive to carbs, breads, rice and that kind of stuff i tend to bloat from it, i got some friends who eat a lot worse than i do, they have office jobs like myself, dont go to gym, harldy anything physical yet they can just pump down lollies, cake, bread, beer and so on and dont gain a kg, where as if i ate the same as them id gain 2kg in a week easy. i can understand how easy it can be to gain weight,

i can understand that,, the thing i dotn understand in anyway is depression, people who have it i just cant understand how its possible or how it comes about, some people unfortuneately are pre disposed to a certain condition where others arent.

but if you are obese, i understand how difficult it can be to get going to lose weight but it is their choice to be lazy because lets face it its easier, so i think a very small poriton of ppl can blame genetics, majority its a choice to be lazy

Some people are more senstivie to carbs than others, as a result, if you fall into that category you need to watch what carbs you eat otherwise you end up looking like the Michelin man. Nutrient timing would also play a big role in managing your fat level if you are carb-sensitive - i.e. eat your carbs in the morning and or before or straight after a workout, not before you go to sleep.

No carbs before bed. Lol. You been reading the Bros nutrition handbook.

People really need to stop blaming genetics for being fat.

As Arnold once said "You wont see any fat people in concentation camps"

yes because forced starvation, isolation, malnutrition and torture are excellent ways for the general population to lose weight................................