• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifts vs. Deficit Deadlifts

kaz

iLift
I've been thinking about adding a set straight after my regular deads.

Is there a set deficit to go by?
Anyone using these and having success?
How big is your deficit?
Can you do these Sumo style or do they benefit conventional only?
What weakness do they target?

deficit deads work your speed/strength off the floor
i normally do theses early in each training cycle as thats where i suffer on the dl, i find they help a fair bit.
generally ill do them off 2/3 rubber mats, there is not set height but going too high changes your angles too much and so you will have less benefit, unless u got freaky long arms and can still maintain position.
i recently changed to paused deficit deads, so standing on the mats, lifting the weight to where it would be in a normal dead, pausing, then finishing the lift. they are killers lol

not sure on sumo, should be fine, u will need more flexibility to get lower to the bar, but i dont see why it wouldnt help :)

unless u have a weakness in your lift there is no need to do deficit deadlifts.

just get stronger in all aspects of your lifts works :)
i.e quads/hamstrings/lower back

unless u have a weakness in your lift there is no need to do deficit deadlifts.

just get stronger in all aspects of your lifts works :)
i.e quads/hamstrings/lower back
i think they still have their place, if the floor isnt your weakness the extra strength/speed you will get may help break through the higher sticking points with the momentum.

Just started doing them and I really like em.

I have been using a 60mm deficit, you don't want it too big because it will change the lift too much.

It gets the legs into the lift a lot more. It would work well with sumo as well.

Thanks Callan :)
Sumo flexibility is good, I have read if you stick at the floor then its an adjustment of your feet (toes pointed wider) to help through the pull.
My SLDL's need to be done in deficit because the bar height is above halfway past my shin, makes no effect otherwise.

if you're feeling really masochistic you can always do snatch grip deficit deadlifts

I ran a Mag/Ort cycle with them to fix my pull off the floor. Did wonders but then took me a while to get used to normal deads again. I think I used a 2in deficit.

I ran a Mag/Ort cycle with them to fix my pull off the floor. Did wonders but then took me a while to get used to normal deads again. I think I used a 2in deficit.

Yeah I do think it's probably not a great idea to totally drop out doing normal height deads while doing deficits.

deficit deadlifts are a good assistance exercise but i don't think they're really needed for a novice lifter.

what sorta program are you running?

deficit deadlifts are a good assistance exercise but i don't think they're really needed for a novice lifter.

what sorta program are you running?
how come you dont think they are needed for novices? novices still have weaknesses, simply because your a novice doesnt mean you cant work your weaknesses to make them stronger

I've been thinking about adding a set straight after my regular deads.

Is there a set deficit to go by?
I'd say it would depend on the diameter of the plate, I would suggest that your knee be no greater than 90 degrees

What weakness do they target?

Muscles of the hip and the quads

Be careful with you lower back, start light.
Give it a good go for three weeks slowly increasing the weight, not the rep's rocket.

scotty has had me doing deficit deads in my lead up for gpc nats, i stand on a 25kg g2 bumper, my 1rm was 220 so ive now done 6 weeks of deficits on ppp for 230 and now with the remaining 7 weeks of training im doing ppp@ 240 from normal height

scotty has had me doing deficit deads in my lead up for gpc nats, i stand on a 25kg g2 bumper, my 1rm was 220 so ive now done 6 weeks of deficits on ppp for 230 and now with the remaining 7 weeks of training im doing ppp@ 240 from normal height

Did you do normals at the same time as the deficets? Was going back to normals afterwards odd?

Did you do normals at the same time as the deficets? Was going back to normals afterwards odd?

nope strictly deficits for the past 6 weeks, i did do some normal ones today to get me used to doing them for the next 5 weeks

how come you dont think they are needed for novices? novices still have weaknesses, simply because your a novice doesnt mean you cant work your weaknesses to make them stronger

Novices don't have 'weak points', they are weak at a lift because they aren't strong, lack motor skills and the ability to recruit muscle fibres. This is why beginner programming never involves much specificity.

Novices don't have 'weak points', they are weak at a lift because they aren't strong, lack motor skills and the ability to recruit muscle fibres. This is why beginner programming never involves much specificity.

Yeah but deficits are not really a typical weak point type of lift. It's not like rack pulls or board press were the lift is limited range of motion. It's extra range of motion and a pretty good lift to just get bloody strong at.

Yeah but deficits are not really a typical weak point type of lift. It's not like rack pulls or board press were the lift is limited range of motion. It's extra range of motion and a pretty good lift to just get bloody strong at.

I agree, but nobodies answered my question yet - what program is the OP running?

If its novice progression then the OP would do better just performing the main lift, if its an intermediate program it wouldn't kill to have something like deficit deads as an assistance lift.

FWIW I think deficit deadlifts are a good exercise, but as they're more taxing than a deadlift theres probably better ways of getting extra hamstring work (good mornings and stiff legs come to mind).

Oli, she's a female with a double bodyweight deadlift...... In comp.

Deficits are awesome. Get strong at them. Do them fast, do them explosively.