• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

topic of the week -How Can We Educate Others About power lifting?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
The common misconception about people who lift weights is that they are freaks , the myth being that if you lift weights you have a small brain , the comment meat head stereotype , as you know powerlifters come from all walks of life

How can we educate people about power lifting?

Do you know anyone who believes in the power lifting stereotypes? How does it make you feel? How did you respond? Did you once believe in the myths and stereotypes

Nikolay Vitkevich said:
You must clearly understand the difference between basic training and special physical preparation. Special Physical Preparation is different for everybody; one beats up on a tire with a sledgehammer, another does figure eights with a kettlebell, and someone incline presses. Basic training is roughly the same in all sports and aims to increase general strength and muscle mass. Powerlifting was born as a competition in exercises everybody does.

The Russians seem to have their shit together. I took up the barbell exercises to get better at cycling. I didn't think for a second that it would get me big or bulky or slow me down etc. I have no idea why people think that stronger = slower until you get to the elite level (when you periodise but I digress)

If I deadlifted 100kg the first time I enter a gym and then deadlifted 140kg 6 months later, that is a 70% increase in strength with a near identical RoM. Bang in some interval training on the bike and it transfers nicely to speed. Many athletes don't understand this. Basic barbell training should be taught in schools

The general populace are idiots, and will continue to believe the stereotypes until they actually get under a barbell. Its as much the belief that as soon as you start weightlifting you become some bulky muscle-meathead.

Till then they will continue to flock to machine workouts, shitty tafe qualified personal trainers, do endless cardio and seek to get toned.

Even those in the fitness industry still have no idea. This is from another forum. Mind you, he is a young kid although believes he knows everything.

DREADLIFT, on 05 May 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:
Do you even lift.

no i don't lift, i am not a weight lifter i am just looking to get very fit. I guess you could say i am an aspiring body builder. But i don't want to get ridiculously big i want the fitness look.
If you don't know the difference watch this video mate.

Pretty sure argueably some of the fittest people on the planet (Rich Froning, Graham Holmberg etc. Crossfit games winners) incoroporate a fair amount of weightlifting (although not to the extent of powerlifters, the top competitors is still substantial).

[My apologies for tainting this thread with the dreaded C word.]

Don't knock on Crossfit; it showed the world that when women do compound barbell exercises they get hot as fuck

The common misconception about people who lift weights is that they are freaks , the myth being that if you lift weights you have a small brain , the comment meat head stereotype , as you know powerlifters come from all walks of life

How can we educate people about power lifting?

Do you know anyone who believes in the power lifting stereotypes? How does it make you feel? How did you respond? Did you once believe in the myths and stereotypes

This is not a misconception... your brain size decrease in
direct proportion to your muscle size.

You want proof? "Arnold Schwarzenegger"

Devante.

It was the video of Kai Greene talking about how he is never going to be a weightlifter, discussing the finer points of bodybuilding, which had nothing to do with what that kid was saying.

Don't bother just try your hardest to look like a shaved gorilla who intimidates old ladies and makes little kids cry. Who cares what other people think.

a mate of mine asked me; "do you get on the curls bro?" i turned to him, looked him dead in the eye and said "curls are for fags, im a powerlifter" then went back to work... he was shocked muhuhahahah

Bodybuilder+vs+Powerlifter.jpg

its strongman but ehh who gives

Good example of functional bodies, I can think of a great number of functions with the one on right.
The one on the left can move my fridge.