• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

what's so special about fruit?

Matt

for some reason i seem to see lots of articles where people on cutting diets seem to think it's ok to eat as much fruit as they want, and not include it in their daily calorie limit. is there some property about the absorption of fructose or the way the body uses it that i'm missing? or are these articles written by people who think they know more about nutrition then they actually do, and are giving bad advice because of it?

cheers in advance

for some reason i seem to see lots of articles where people on cutting diets seem to think it's ok to eat as much fruit as they want, and not include it in their daily calorie limit. is there some property about the absorption of fructose or the way the body uses it that i'm missing? or are these articles written by people who think they know more about nutrition then they actually do, and are giving bad advice because of it?

cheers in advance

Fruit is great but you still count the calories.

My understanding (and I've written about this on here before) is the fact that fructose (one part of the fruit sugar) cannot be turned into glycogen by the muscles since they (the muscles) lack the enzyme that does the conversion. Fructose can be turned into glycogen by the liver though and stored there for times of need (like when we're sleeping) for example.

Having said that, fruits are not made up of fructose only but also of glucose. The ratios are different for different fruits.

As for calories, all would need to be counted if someone is keeping a tab of his/her caloric count.

Fadi.

Fruits contain a varied mix of (mainly) carbs, mostly in the form of fructose+glucose, protein and fats.

Of course you need to count the calories and include them in macro counts.

Fadi is right about the metabolism of the different sugars ... glucose is more readily converted to glycogen whereas fructose is processed in the liver.

In any case, unlimited fruit is probably not a great idea on any diet but it's obviously a good addition to a cutting or bulking diet for the micronutrients it provides as well.

I see lady's at work who just eat fruit all day long and talk about how much weight they're losing....

I see lady's at work who just eat fruit all day long and talk about how much weight they're losing....

hmmm if eat fruit all day and they yak about how much weight they're losing then do they actually do any work??? :p

maybe they don't eat much else. :eek:

They're big ladies! Most likely losing muscle mass.
I didn't eat fruit while dieting

hmmm if eat fruit all day and they yak about how much weight they're losing then do they actually do any work??? :p

maybe they don't eat much else. :eek:
True. In fact one of the major problems (say) with a fruitarian only diet is maintaining ideal weight. One would have to eat plenty (and I do mean plenty) of fruits to maintain bodyweight. Many fruitarians would resort to juicing, which would make the task much easier.

To up the extreme even more and make it damn hard to maintain anything except skin and bone would be to go on a nutritarian based diet. That is to say nutrient density is at the centre/core of the diet. Here we're talking greens at the top of the list as they are the highest in micro-nutrient density as opposed to macro-nutrient density.

Fadi.

I find the energy burns quickly however I keep fruit n veg (bananas and spinach usually) in my day-to-day diet to keep my.... movements... happening :D

Bananas for workout days :)
Apples for reintroducing carbs after a week of keto going into refeed day.

Mangos. Mmmmmmm

They are special :)

the greatest fruit on this planet. hands down. the only fruit I am not supposed to eat (fructose bomb) but eat with impunity because I don't care. Nobody gets between me and my mangoes :)

I have a freezer full of frozen mango cheeks for the winter lol

Yep Fadi is spot on with regards to how Fructose is processed. It is one of the main reasons AFL moved from giving their players oranges at half time to powerade!

Some fruits have an extremely high water content, others are quite densely packed. I have always advised clients not to demonise fruits, but be weary of how much you're taking in. My grandfather always wondered why he gained weight when he increased his fruit intake. The reason was (being Italian it's mandatory to have a fig tree) that along with what was picked off the tree - they'd regularly eat dried fruits (essentially void of the water content and more dense with calories for the total volume). I would avoid eating too many dried fruits.

Best thing about fruit... it looks pretty!
8ba87fee-d461-213d.jpg

8ba87fee-d46e-954c.jpg

Yep Fadi is spot on with regards to how Fructose is processed. It is one of the main reasons AFL moved from giving their players oranges at half time to powerade!

Some fruits have an extremely high water content, others are quite densely packed. I have always advised clients not to demonise fruits, but be weary of how much you're taking in. My grandfather always wondered why he gained weight when he increased his fruit intake. The reason was (being Italian it's mandatory to have a fig tree) that along with what was picked off the tree - they'd regularly eat dried fruits (essentially void of the water content and more dense with calories for the total volume). I would avoid eating too many dried fruits.

Bottom line is you count the calories in fruit just like any other food.

Also powerade type drinks are more make for taste than hydration. The levels of sugar and electrolytes are usually much higher than what is optimal for hydration to make them taste better.

Bottom line is you count the calories in fruit just like any other food.

Also powerade type drinks are more make for taste than hydration. The levels of sugar and electrolytes are usually much higher than what is optimal for hydration to make them taste better.

They are also sponsors..